Siemens Mobility is seeking to hire a Senior Electrical Hardware Design Engineer for the R&D team. In this role, you will be responsible for design and development of embedded onboard PTC products. We are looking for a proven understanding of electrical engineering and digital and analog design practices, along with knowledge in signal processing and network communications. Also, we would love for you to have experience with implementation of communications designs (serial, wired & wireless networks) and be capable of translating functional requirements into efficient working designs.
Your primary responsibility will be oversight for the Trainguard™ PTC Onboard Unit. This includes making high level design decisions (electrical & mechanical packaging) and driving these requirements through suppliers who implement the detailed designs, as well as coordinating environmental testing. This role will need to make evidence-based design decisions, as well as be comfortable planning, designing and managing field installations on freight locomotives.
We're looking for a good communicator and someone to work independently, yet collaboratively, in a multidisciplinary team environment. You must be comfortable with the application of technical theories and concepts in developmental environments and have broad knowledge of printed circuit board design and limitations, system engineering, and digital/analog circuit design. Ours is an environment where quick, innovative and cost saving solutions work hand in hand with troubleshooting and sustaining of existing design platforms!
- Review of customer and systems level specifications to identify hardware requirements.
- Ability to review circuits/schematics, understand functionality, identify critical components/circuitry, possible signal sources, sensor selection and then weigh alternative design choices to meet design goals
- Generate hardware design documents, block diagrams, BOM’s, hardware test plans/procedures, and engineering change notices to update drawings.
- Ability to develop statements of work to flow design requirements to suppliers, as well as oversee supplier’s designs of complex mixed-signal hardware featuring Processors, Microcontrollers, ADCs/DACs, DC/DC converters, FPGAs, etc. to ensure designs meet the requirements.
- Work with V&V team to establish and execute a building block hardware design test strategy; starting with component level, to subsystems, to systems level test plans/procedures.
- Develop labor and material estimates for hardware design activities that encompass all hardware activities throughout the development lifecycle
- Work with technical publications department to develop and maintain installation and product maintenance manuals
- Work in collaboration with the Supply Chain and Manufacturing to ensure a clean design and shipment of the hardware design to end customers.
- Work in collaboration with Quality department to ensure proper configuration management of the hardware configuration.
- Mentor, coach, guide, oversee more junior engineers working within the hardware team.
Required Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
- Bachelor of Science in Electrical or Computer Engineering
- 10+ years of experience directly relevant to the job responsibilities described above
- 8+ years of successful experience designing and working with complex mixed-signal hardware featuring embedded processors, microcontrollers, ADCs/DACs, DC/DC converters, FPGAs, etc.
- 6+ years of experience with usage and selection of sensors, including voltage, current, pressure, temperature, high voltage/current & discrete devices.
- Deep understanding of hardware design principles (Requirement traceability, FMEA Analysis, Reliability Analysis and Calculations, etc).
- Strong foundation of MS Office products, including MS Word, Visio, and most importantly Excel.
Preferred Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
- Advanced degree in Electrical or Computer Engineering.
- Experience in the railroad industry. Especially experience working on Locomotives.
- Knowledge of and experience with Onboard PTC systems and installation.
- Experience with Fail Safe safety critical/vital system designs.
- Background in digital signal processing and/or network applications
- Experience working with any/all of the following applications: DOORS, SAP, RTC, RQM, Mentor Graphics PADS, or Solidworks
- Competitive salary based on qualifications
- Health, dental, and vision plans with options
- Matching 401(k)
- Competitive paid time off plan, holidays, and floating holidays
- Paid parental leave
- Company cell phone and laptop
- Extensive product training and professional career development
- Education and tuition reimbursement programs available
Organization: Siemens Mobility
Company: Siemens Mobility, Inc
Experience Level: Mid-level Professional
Job Type: Full-time
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Siemens is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship status, ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability unrelated to ability, marital status, family responsibilities, pregnancy, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, transgender, sex stereotyping, order of protection status, protected veteran or military status, or an unfavorable discharge from military service, and other categories protected by federal, state or local law.
EEO is the Law
Applicants and employees are protected under Federal law from discrimination. To learn more, Click here.
Pay Transparency Non-Discrimination Provision
Siemens follows Executive Order 11246, including the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision. To learn more, Click here.
California Privacy Notice
California residents have the right to receive additional notices about their personal information. To learn more, click here.