Believe there’s more than one way to secure a successful future?
So do we. We believe our apprenticeship programmes are the best alternative to university for ambitious and hard-working students. Especially as you’ll gain technical and occupational qualifications, whilst earning a salary as well as the reputation that comes with working for a digital pioneer like Siemens.
Here at Siemens we build a better world using digital skills to create greener energy, ground breaking software and ingenious inventions.
Siemens Mobility is the leading passenger train maintainer in the UK, looking after over 1600 vehicles for customers like Thameslink, Heathrow Express, London Northwestern Railway, and South Western Railway. Billions of pounds are being invested in major rail projects and Siemens Mobility is playing its part in making these a success. We deliver innovative and technologically advanced solutions to help make journeys punctual, comfortable and safe.
We are recruiting people to join our Rail Engineering Technician apprenticeship scheme at our brand-new Train Manufacturing facility in Goole.
Part of being an apprentice at Siemens means you get to work on real life projects whilst also being supported on a guided learning journey. Siemens are investing up to £200 million to build an advanced train manufacturing facility Goole which will create up to 700 skilled jobs in engineering and manufacturing at this site. This apprenticeship gives you the chance to be some of the first employees for this project joining the 4,400 other employees working for Siemens in transport related jobs.
As this role requires working on placements UK and abroad, you will be expected to display Siemens behaviours, you must be proactive, trustworthy and reliable.
This will be a 3 year rotational apprenticeship where you will be put onto the Rail Engineering Technician standard and earn your qualifications in Rail Engineering Technician Knowledge and Competence, with a pathway into Traction and Rolling Stock. This scheme involves both placements around the UK and internationally.
Here is how the programme works:
- Year 1: You will spend your first year in college studying towards your Foundation and Knowledge qualifications, and we will begin integrating you into the Siemens community through work placements during the academic break.
- Year 2: College will be on a 1 day a week basis at this point. You’ll spend the rest of your time completing placements at our depots in Manchester and Leeds as part of busy production teams preparing trains for service, completing routine maintenance, and carrying-out fault finding. You will also complete a placement at our Bogie Service centre in Lincoln. These placements will enable you to begin your workplace-based Competence qualification.
- Year 3: You will spend 6 months of your final year completing your final placement in Vienna, Austria, where you will continue to develop and demonstrate technical, occupational, and professional competence, as you prepare for a role as a Traction and Rolling Stock Technician. You will complete your Competence qualification and prepare your portfolio for End-Point Assessment.
We are looking for forward-thinking, inquisitive candidates that demonstrate the following characteristics:
- You must be over the age of 18.
- You must be willing to travel, both within the UK and abroad. The UK placements and placement in Vienna are a mandatory part of this apprenticeship scheme.
- You should have 5 GCSEs A-C (or 4-9), 2 of them being English Language and Maths.
- You should have good communication skills, both written and verbal.
- As the apprenticeship involves completing academic qualifications and occupational skills development you should have good organisational skills and be able to manage your time appropriately.
- You must be willing to self-learn and research, and take a creative approach to problem solving.
- You enjoy collaborating with others to find innovative solutions.
- You can work independently, safely and responsibly, and take ownership of challenges and ideas.
- Identify with our values of Zero Harm, Innovative, Excellent and Responsible. We can teach you the knowledge on your apprenticeship however it also means a lot to us for you to align to our culture and behaviours.
- You should be IT literate, able to use Microsoft Office.
The benefits of a Rail apprenticeship:
- Continue your learning beyond college/school whilst earning a salary with annual increments at the same time as well as an annual bonus!
- Have the chance to join a community of highly skilled professionals who will help you on your learning journey.
- Have the chance to gain international work experience.
- As an apprentice, you will receive first-rate training and tuition from Siemens, the National Training Academy for Rail (NTAR), and your local College.
- Stay at the fore-front of innovation by joining Europe's leading engineering and technology company.
- You will be supported in learning German to support integration into the Vienna Factory and enjoy your time in Austria.
- Join our flexible benefits scheme with access to private medical care, discounted cinema tickets, gym membership and so much more!
What else do I need to know?
We’re looking for forward-thinking teammates with the aptitude and attitude to succeed in the world of Rail. Think this is you? Join us. Apply Now.
Applications close on 31st March.
If we all thought the same, we would never think of anything new. That’s why we recruit great minds from all walks of life. We embrace diversity and create what’s right for the world by employing the people who live in it.
Siemens recognise that building a diverse workforce is critical to the success of our business. We strongly encourage applications from a diverse talent pool and welcome the opportunity to discuss flexibility requirements and workplace adjustments with all our applicants to encourage agile working and innovation.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Organization: Siemens Mobility
Company: SIEMENS MOBILITY LIMITED
Experience Level: not defined
Job Type: Full-time