We are seeking someone to lead the newly formed research group "Design and Representation Systems - DRS" within our central research and development unit, Siemens Corporate Technology. Think of this role as someone who will lead their own small start-up focused on building a portfolio, aligning to Siemens business units and evolving the team's capabilities to execute as the portfolio takes shape - on time and within budget!
The DRS research group develops various technologies for design and manufacturing trade space exploration, corresponding knowledge and operational data capturing, as well as autonomous tools realized on top for generative engineering. The team is composed of engineers and scientists who are already renowned in these domains of proficiencies. The team strongly collaborates with other groups in the Technology Field “Simulation and Digital Twin” located in Germany, India and China as well as with other Technology Fields and Siemens business units all over the world.
Be a dynamic leader who is technically sound and demonstrates leadership qualities to plan and execute against business objectives while evolving the capability of the team.
- Handle > $3 million budget for the local research group
- Lead 10-15 researchers. Experience in disciplinary and technical leadership/mentoring of Research Group staff; driving Performance Management Process e.g. target setting, evaluation and proficiency development for Project Managers and project staff.
- Coach and develop group members to grow in their career path and evolve their capabilities! (This is a big one).
- Define and manage execution of the Research Group’s business strategy including target definitions, growth areas and business plans.
- Assignment of staff and required proficiencies to projects (capacity planning) aligned with TF Head.
- Contribute to the Technology Field´s strategy and roadmap, and align globally to ensure implementation and execution.
- Build Siemens-internal network to acquire projects that convert research results into business impact; maintain relationships to the business units within Siemens.
- Develop and maintain relationships with key universities and institutes to expand technology portfolio and jointly pursue public funding opportunities.
- Closely interact with Principals, R&D heads and Technology Field heads.
- Assist developing brand recognition externally by networking with industry experts, attending conferences and partnering with universities.
- Collaborate with CT Research Groups to build larger products and integrate into comprehensive solutions.
- Participate and lead projects with Siemens businesses, including research & development as well as technical consulting.
- Collaborate with experts and peers to secure government grants in relevant domains.
Qualified candidates will have:
- Master's degree in Mathematics, Computer Science, Mechanical Engineering, Computational Engineering, or related fields required. PhD preferred.
- 8+ years of experience as researcher and engineer in the area of Simulation with a proven track record in academia, industry or military/government required.
- 3+ years of supervisory experience or program/project management engagement leading teams in an R&D environment required.
- Up-to-date technical knowledge in multiple areas of Geometry Processing, Computer-aided Design, System Modelling, Simulation, Computer-aided Manufacturing, Design Optimization, Artificial Intelligence, Computational Statistics, Machine Learning, and Digital Twins.
- Established networks within US academia/research institutions required.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication (verbal & written) skills in English required. Capable of presenting complex technical topics in a clear and structured way, ability to moderate discussions, meetings, and projects. Proficiency in German is a plus.
- Flexibility and adaptability to work in a growing, dynamic, interdisciplinary team of experts with a strong customer service orientation required.
- The ability to travel 25% of the time (domestic/international).
Siemens is a global technology powerhouse that has stood for engineering excellence, innovation, quality, reliability and internationally for more than 172 years. To tap business opportunities in both new and established markets, the Company is organized in operating and strategic companies: Smart Infrastructure, Digital Industries, Siemens Mobility, Siemens Gamesa, Siemens Healthineers & Siemens Energy. (see also http://www.siemens.com/businesses/us/en/).
Right now, we’re powering a whole country, finding ways to prevent malaria, making cities smarter, developing renewable energy, designing 3D robots, transporting people at 250 mph and helping NASA explore Mars. Our experience has shown that key technology components coming from areas like AI, analytics, IOT, Cyber-Security, additive manufacturing and materials science are extremely relevant for such innovations.
Siemens Corporate Technology plays an important role in this as a strategic partner to Siemens’ operative units. It provides pre-development (aka research) services, prototyping, technology evaluation and assessments as well as technology consulting to all of Siemens’ businesses.
We help business units discover new business ideas and develop them into software solutions and successful products. Our research results influence Siemens products and are reflected in patents and publications in journals and conferences. Moreover, the team pursuits government funding opportunities, often in collaboration with top academic partners.
At Corporate Technology we are more than employees: We are actively helping to make people’s lives a little better every day. Would you like to be a part of that? Then join us. We offer you a high level of practical relevance as well as an opportunity to individually contribute your knowledge and your visions around the world. Whether you’re helping to develop products for the operating units or working in interdisciplinary projects for the business areas: At Corporate Technology you’ll be working in the heart of Siemens’ technological research together with the best.
Successful candidate must be able to work with controlled technology in accordance with US Export Control Law. US Export Control laws and applicable regulations govern the distribution of strategically important technology, services and information to foreign nationals and foreign countries. Siemens may require candidates under consideration for employment opportunities to submit information regarding citizenship status to allow the organization to comply with specific US Export Control laws and regulations. Additional information on the US Export Control laws & regulations can be found on https://www.bis.doc.gov/index.php/policy-guidance/deemed-exports/deemed-exports-faqs
Organization: Corporate Technology
Company: Siemens Corporation
Experience Level: Experienced Professional
Job Type: Full-time
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Siemens is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship status, ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability unrelated to ability, marital status, family responsibilities, pregnancy, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, transgender, sex stereotyping, order of protection status, protected veteran or military status, or an unfavorable discharge from military service, and other categories protected by federal, state or local law.
EEO is the Law
Applicants and employees are protected under Federal law from discrimination. To learn more, Click here.
Pay Transparency Non-Discrimination Provision
Siemens follows Executive Order 11246, including the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision. To learn more, Click here.
California Privacy Notice
California residents have the right to receive additional notices about their personal information. To learn more, click here.