Siemens Mobility have an exciting opportunity for a Bid Manager to join our Rail Infrastructure Electrification team in London Euston.
Our Team and what we do:
As market leaders across rail, road and logistics, Siemens Mobility Limited are pursuing the goal of networking various transportation systems with one another to move people and goods efficiently - complete mobility.
Rail Infrastructure offers a wide range of systems for signaling, control, communications and electrification for main line, regional, metro and light rail infrastructure applications. By bringing together the combined expertise of UK and Germany, we offer complete infrastructure solutions tailored for our market. Siemens’ dedicated rail infrastructure team is fully committed to delivering an efficient, reliable, safe and green railway. The Rail Electrification business supplies switchgear equipment as well as the SCADA control system alongside other engineering solutions to rail industry operators and suppliers worldwide. This includes the ASG 25 Air insulated Switchgear, which is now designed, manufactured, built & tested in the UK. We have earned a respected reputation in the industry which has developed as a result of our success in delivering to our customers. In addition, we are leading the way within the railway industry in developing the next generation of rail technology such as the Static Var Compensator & Static Frequency Converter, so this is a great time to join the business in the development of a new, exciting technology.
Your role, and what you’ll be doing:
These are dynamic, customer facing roles where you will take responsibility for Rail Electrification bid preparation, working in partnership with our multi-skilled, multi-disciplinary teams from the earliest stages of the bid process, through bid compilation, settlement, submission, post tender negotiation and to contract handover.
As a Bid Manager, you will lead the planning and management of the bid process and lead a small team of planners, engineers and commercial specialists to create compelling and economic proposals which enhance our reputation and deliver profitable work. The roles require good communication and interpersonal skills as you will work with a range of collaborative disciplines across the business to understand and deliver solutions to the customer.
You will be working on bids for projects to design, manufacture, deliver, fit-out, and test traction power equipment, and, traction power or distribution substations at 650V DC / 25kV AC, 33kV AC on the UK rail network.
- Take ownership of MS Excel pricing templates and ensure that they are kept up to date and improvements/modifications are carried out in a controlled manner.
- With the support of the Tendering Manager, develop pricing strategies which increase competitiveness of the bid, according to award criteria, whilst maximizing commercial position.
- Preparation of tender deliverables.
- With the support of a Project Technical Manager obtain inputs from subject matter experts for inclusion in cost model.
- Prepare enquiry data, collate resource / materials / 3rd party estimates and add commercial elements including escalation, risk and margin.
- Produce / populate customer specific pricing documentation.
- Attend bid meetings both internal and client based.
- Create accurate reports for bid governance, finalise offers and submit via client portals.
- Become the “subject matter expert” for electrification in the RMM (Rail Method of Measurement)
- Work with colleagues in Siemens Rail Electrification to further develop and update the estimating tool which captures standardised costs.
- Creation of reports for presentation / reviews / governance as required.
- Attend relevant training courses to expand knowledge in railway technology, estimating and bid writing as required
- Analyse current and historical data to benchmark costs and competitiveness.
What do I need to qualify for this job?
We are looking for dynamic and numerate candidates who are customer centric, have a high level of commercial acumen, an understanding of the tendering process and ideally with technical knowledge of Rail Electrification. This role reports to the Tendering Manager at our headquarters in Coventry but will located in our London Euston offices.
- Previous experience within a project related engineering environment.
- A degree or HND in an engineering or business-related discipline, or, wide design / construction experience in rail power supply.
- Experience of tendering and/or project work within the rail sector will be a distinct advantage.
- Strong computing skills especially with MS Excel, and ideally also MS Word & MS Powerpoint.
- Able to interrogate documents to identify scope and quantity of works.
- High level of financial and commercial acumen.
- Must be flexible and able to work under own initiative.
- Able to challenge own and others inputs to ensure competitiveness of pricing.
- Comfortable with operating to short deadlines whilst maintaining accuracy.
- Excellent communication skills both internally and externally.
- Previous knowledge of estimating in an engineering project environment.
- Familiarity across a range of construction contract forms inc NEC and NR suite of contracts.
- Able to manage small teams to deliver bids to quality, time and budget.
- 26 days holiday, increasing up to 29 days with length of service
- Excellent pension, with Siemens matching contributions up to 10% of pensionable salary
- Flexible benefits to suit your personal needs
- Flexible working policy
- Investment in personal development and support to membership of professional institutions
We’re Siemens. A collection of over 348,000 great minds who are all making the future and you could be one of them. We have offices across the UK, full of talented individual’s helping us to challenge the today and work towards a brighter tomorrow.
Want to join us and be a Future Maker?
We’re excited to hear that you would like to join us here at Siemens. Our people love it here and we want you to be a part of helping us make real, what matters.
We are looking forward to receiving your online application. Please ensure you complete all areas of the application form, to the best of your ability, to help us review your suitability for the role. We will be in contact as soon as possible with an update on your application.
What else do I need to know?
The benefits package for this role includes not only a generous base salary, but an annual bonus. We know that not everyone’s lifestyle is the same, so we operate a flexible benefits scheme where you can tailor your benefits package to suit you.
If we all thought the same, we would never think of anything new. That’s why we recruit great minds from all walks of life. We embrace diversity and create what’s right for the world by employing the people who live in it.
Siemens recognise that building a diverse workforce is critical to the success of our business. We strongly encourage applications from a diverse talent pool and welcome the opportunity to discuss flexibility requirements and workplace adjustments with our applicants to encourage agile working and innovation.
Organization: Siemens Mobility
Company: SIEMENS MOBILITY LIMITED
Experience Level: not defined
Job Type: Full-time