Following recent contract awards, success on multiple NR frameworks, and in line with SIEMENS future ETCS strategy, Siemens Mobility are looking for experienced engineers to join our telecoms business. This role would ideally be located out of either Manchester or Glasgow.
The telecoms team provides both mobile and fixed communications to support multi discipline applications including Voice, SCADA, Signalling, and ETCS.
As a Specialist Engineer you will be responsible for the pricing and delivery of all telecoms designs within the North West portfolio and Major Signalling framework, ensuring designs are safe, delivered to relevant standards, comply with CDM regulations and deliver the required quality and efficiencies expected by Siemens and their customers. You will be required to lead a team of design engineers, being responsible for their competence, day to day performance and development.
Reporting to the design manager, the candidate will have input into the nationwide design team strategy, undertaking the strategy lead in key technology areas.
What are my responsibilities?
- Delivery of Telecoms engineering activities to the agreed time, cost, quality and performance requirements for large multidisciplinary projects
- Perform the role of Contractors Responsible Engineer (CRE) and lead the Telecoms project engineering team to deliver engineering tasks in system development and implementation, including sub-contractors where applicable
- Responsible for technical lead in safety related system design and implementation within project engineering
- Responsible for managing engineering risk elements of Telecoms projects
- Responsible for managing engineering aspects of contract requirements for Telecoms projects
- Produce Telecoms engineering technical and Health and Safety documentation deliverables to meet project requirements
- Occasionally undertake the role of Tester in Charge on Telecoms Projects
- Plan, co-ordinate and manage Telecoms engineering team tasks including resources and equipment in order to deliver effectively and efficiently
- Regularly report Telecoms engineering team task progress and status
- Lead the provision of estimating for engineering projects and tenders with regard to engineering resources, plans, technology, risk and process
- Complete personal and business objectives agreed under the Performance Management Process
- Ensure the appropriate standards, processes, procedures and tools are applied throughout the engineering life cycle
- Ensure tender and project tasks are delivered in accordance with Siemens Mobility Safety and Quality procedures and meet all applicable legislative, safety and customer requirements
- Ensure tender and project tasks are delivered and undertaken in accordance with customer Health and Safety procedures and requirements within main line rail, light rail and mass transit environments
- Manage and identify project scope changes
- Initiate, develop and maintain good relationships with internal and external customers, industry associations, suppliers and partners
- Responsible for maintaining and developing their own professional competence and mentoring engineers through the Chartered/Incorporated accreditation process
- Implementation of excellent verbal and numeric reasoning to positively influence both internal and external customers
What experience do I need to apply for this role?
- Degree or equivalent qualification in relevant subject
- Chartered Engineer or equivalent status
- IRSE License in relevant category (e.g. Telecoms Design or Project Engineer categories)
- Proven experience in CRE role for Safety Related Telecoms and Operational Telecoms projects
- Leadership and Management of delivery of development and implementation project tasks within the Main Line, Mass Transit and Light Rail environment
- Proven success leading and motivating a team of Telecoms engineers for effective design and delivery of telecommunications systems
- Strong experience and knowledge of implementation project engineering processes covering development, design, construction, test, commissioning and handover
- Implementation and application of requirements management
- Strong understanding and experience of Safety Critical and Safety Related activities in the rail environment
- Proven flexibility in the role as it requires an element of travelling and unsociable hours working which may include night working, weekend working and bank holiday working
- Proven experience of leading delivery of Operational Telecommunications systems engineering activities in the rail environment
- Proven experience of integrating third party sub-systems into complete solutions
- Proven experience leading estimates for engineering projects and tenders with regard to resources, plans, technology, risk and process
- System knowledge of:
- Copper Cable, Optical Fibre Cable
- Lineside Cable Route
- Transmission SDH and PDH
- Network switches and routers
- Modem Systems, Immunisation Systems
- Signal Post Telephone Concentrator Systems, PABX Telephony systems
- Voice Over IP, Lineside Telephony, Public Emergency Telephone System
- Driver Only Operation (Mirror, CCTV, Monitor), GSM-R, Cab Secure Radio
- Uninterruptible Power Supplies, Charger and Battery Power Supplies
- Rail Signalling System Circuits
- Earthing Systems
- Station Information and Security System CCTV, PA, Help Point
- Strong knowledge of BS7671 wiring regulations
- Good knowledge of IT systems and software, especially Microsoft Office and Project
- Excellent interpersonal, presentation and communication skills
- Excellent organisational, time management and problem-solving skills
- Network Rail Personal Track Safety competency
We’re Siemens. A collection of over 377,000 great minds who are all making the future and you could be one of them. We have offices across the UK, full of talented individuals helping us to challenge the today and work towards a brighter tomorrow.
Want to join us and be a Future Maker?
We’re excited to hear that you would like to join us here at Siemens. Our people love it here and we want you to be a part of helping us make real, what matters.
We are looking forward to receiving your online application. Please ensure you complete all areas, of the application form, to the best of your ability to help us review your suitability for the role. We will be in contact as soon as possible with an update on your application.
What else do you need to know?
Our compensation package includes a competitive salary, holiday allowance, pension and other additional benefits. We celebrate the fact that our employees are individuals and have different wants and needs. With this in mind, we have a flexible benefits scheme where you can tailor your benefits package to suit you.
If we all thought the same, we would never think of anything new. That’s why we recruit great minds from all walks of life. We recognise that building a diverse workforce is essential to the success of our business, therefore we encourage applications from a diverse talent pool. We are proud to announce that we have partnered with VERCIDA, the UK's largest diversity and inclusion focused careers site where all our vacancies are in an accessible format. We welcome the opportunity to discuss flexibility requirements with our applicants to encourage agile working and innovation.
Organization: Siemens Mobility
Company: Siemens Mobility Limited
Experience Level: not defined
Job Type: Full-time