We are currently recruiting for a CCI Train IT Software Engineer to join our Siemens Mobility Rolling Stock business. This is an exciting time to join us and contribute to our Deep Tube Upgrade programme (DTUP), which is a circa. £5bn contract to design, build, commission and provide technical services to support the introduction to passenger service and aftercare for up to 310 trains on the London Underground Piccadilly, Bakerloo, Central and Waterloo and City Lines.
The Control Communication and Information (CCI) train control software team will be part of a 3-year development plan in building a sister group within the UK to the head of competence for engineering in Erlangen, Germany. The development will require 3 years within Siemens, Germany to build up the technical competence in preparation for the arrival of the first trains expected mid 2023 in London.
The first 94 new trains will be introduced to service on the Piccadilly line from 2024 and will be manufactured in Siemens existing metro facility in Vienna and in our new UK facility being built in Goole. This flagship programme will extend Siemens’ reputation for delivery of the most reliable fleets of UK commuter and high-speed trains into the metro market and will be Siemens first trains to be built in the UK.
We are looking for self-motivated people who want to be part of this journey from beginning to end, developing your own knowledge, skills and expertise in parallel with the train development through the design, manufacturing, commissioning and introduction to passenger service programme phases. This journey will take you from your induction into Siemens DTUP team in the UK, to then being part of our DTUP Programme engineering teams in Germany and Austria before returning back to the UK to support the engineering teams in train service introduction and aftercare.
We are seeking a team of engineers who will be responsible for the correct integration, highest reliability and very good performance of overall train software in several project phases (Integration, Static Commissioning, Dynamic Commissioning, Service) upon DTUP.
What are your responsibilities?
- Be responsible for the IT Systems (Wayside connectivity and wayside systems, Customer Information System, CCTV)
- Verify project specific software and testing requirements for our innovative rail vehicles including standard, customer and project requirements ensuring the traceability of the requirements in the test specification and reports
- Document all registered anomalies during the conducted tests and examinations; track outstanding measures until they have been successfully completed; create verification reports
- Align the software relevant requirements with internal and external experts (e.g. supplier) as well as with our customers
- Trigger bug reports and change request regarding the SW- integration / SW-integration test specification, including the definition of non-functional SW requirements while taking into account the existing directives (coding guidelines, secure coding guidelines)
- Understand common Safety Method-Risk Assessed process / standard EN 50128 / EN 50667
- Use DOORS requirement tool to understand requirement implementation and validation
- Design and implement software components in alignment with the guidelines for safety-relevant software systems; document homologation of the train undertaken by working with the homologation department
- Create Integration Test Specification for the integrated components and the (sub-) system formed by them conducting or supporting the integration testing; review and document the results of the integration tests
- Define relevant test cases and ensure team is accurately carrying out software testing - To be validated in the lab lab, static commission in Goole/Vienna and on the train during dynamic testing in Krefeld, Germany prior to customer acceptance
- Continuously enhance your system know-how and take over more and more complex design tasks – Follow Team Lead’s development plan ensuring you are the technical point of contact of appointed area
- Deliver reliability and performance improvements through the test, commissioning, warranty and post warranty phases of the project in conjunction with the train design team
- Collaborate with the Deep Tube customer and other business partners as necessary regarding interfaces with their systems. This involves working with the customer to achieve agreement to Siemens planned system architectures where those must interface with the customer’s systems. The German headquarter department will have overall software modification responsibility with relationships coordinated via the UK team
- At start of passenger service, troubleshooting investigations with the customer will be required
What do you need to qualify for this role?
- Someone with understanding and awareness of technical CCI areas such as Train Control, Train IT, system engineering
- Bachelor’s degree level qualification in software engineering
- Experience in ethernet technology (VLANS, QoS, Port Mirroring etc.) and tools (like wireshark) with linux basic know how
- Knowledge about requirements management, configuration management, document management and change management
- Willingness to move to Germany for a period of 3 years
- Experience in Rail or Metro domain knowledge (Preferred)
- You are passionate about understanding complex problems and finding suitable system solutions
- You have the ability to manage multiple user requirements on complex systems
- Good communication skills, both written and verbal
- You demonstrate a high-level initiative, flexibility and determination to see a task through to completion
- Good knowledge of IT systems
- You are fluent in English - German language skills are advantageous
- Experience in Requirements management (preferred)
- Scheduling of test steps and sequences respecting all boundary/environmental conditions (like infrastructure, technical conditions, etc.) preferred
- Competence in the domain where component integration is carried out (hardware, software, hard- + software) preferred
We’re Siemens. A collection of over 385,000 great minds who are all making the future and you could be one of them. We have offices across the UK, full of talented individual’s helping us to challenge the today and work towards a brighter tomorrow.
Want to join us and be a Future Maker?
We’re excited to hear that you would like to join us here at Siemens. Our people love it here and we want you to be a part of helping us make real, what matters.
We are looking forward to receiving your online application. Please ensure you complete all areas of the application form to the best of your ability to help us review your suitability for the role. We will be in contact as soon as possible with an update on your application.
What else do you need to know?
Our compensation package includes a competitive salary, holiday allowance and pension. We celebrate the fact that our employees are individuals and have different wants and needs. With this in mind, we have a flexible benefits scheme where you can tailor your benefits package to suit you.
If we all thought the same, we would never think of anything new. That’s why we recruit great minds from all walks of life. We recognise that building a diverse workforce is essential to the success of our business, therefore we encourage applications from a diverse talent pool. We are proud to announce that we have partnered with VERCIDA, the UK's largest diversity and inclusion focused careers site where all our vacancies are in an accessible format. We welcome the opportunity to discuss flexibility requirements with our applicants to encourage agile working and innovation.
Organization: Siemens Mobility
Company: Siemens Mobility Limited
Experience Level: not defined
Job Type: Full-time