The Design Engineer will ensure that the technical standards are maintained in all aspects of signalling design work and will be in direct support of the delivery of a new mass transit project into operational service. This will include activities associated with train-borne and track-side ATC, signalling control and interlocking/line-side signalling. They will also be involved in project planning activities and the resolution of design issues and validation activities.
The Design Engineer will report to the Design Manager and will participate with, and contribute to, the project to achieve the maximum output in producing outline and detailed signalling design from the resource available. The role is responsible for the cost, time and the quality performance of allocated project activities. In addition the role will be required to manage the generation and production of test regimes in addition to the implementation of testing and validation activity for Main Line or Mass Transit activities.
What are my responsibilities?
- Monitor the progress of works and ensure that the design timescales are met taking remedial action when required
- Ensure that the technical and safety standards are maintained in all aspects of design work in order that successful project implementation and future reliability is achieved
- Identify the required programme provision for allocated projects to enable target dates to be met
- Assist in the preparation of contract specifications for projects. Evaluate quality and technical accuracy of tenders and make recommendations to obtain the best available outcome for the company
- Assist in the forecast of resource requirements necessary for allocated projects in sufficient time to ensure that they can be provided
- Safety responsibility in terms of Health and Safety legislation, Company procedures including development of the project Safety Plan
- Be capable of checking signaling design/data produced to the same level or lower level of competence
- Manage design budget for a small design team to enable target dates to be met
What do I need to qualify for this job?
- HNC/HND in Electrical Engineering or equivalent (essential)
- Previous experience in Railway Signaling Systems (essential)
- Hold IRSE Design License - 1.1.510 (essential)
- Membership of the IEE/or IRSE or recognized professional body (essential)
- Understanding of task, time and people management skills
- Hold Mod 5 (or higher) Testing Qualification
We’re Siemens. A collection of over 385,000 great minds who are all making the future and you could be one of them. We have offices across the UK, full of talented individual’s helping us to challenge the today and work towards a brighter tomorrow.
Want to join us and be a Future Maker?
We’re excited to hear that you would like to join us here at Siemens. Our people love it here and we want you to be a part of helping us make real, what matters.
We are looking forward to receiving your online application. Please ensure you complete all areas of the application form to the best of your ability to help us review your suitability for the role. We will be in contact as soon as possible with an update on your application.
What else do you need to know?
Our compensation package includes a competitive salary, holiday allowance and pension. We celebrate the fact that our employees are individuals and have different wants and needs. With this in mind, we have a flexible benefits scheme where you can tailor your benefits package to suit you.
If we all thought the same, we would never think of anything new. That’s why we recruit great minds from all walks of life. We recognise that building a diverse workforce is essential to the success of our business, therefore we encourage applications from a diverse talent pool. We are proud to announce that we have partnered with VERCIDA
, the UK's largest diversity and inclusion focused careers site where all our vacancies are in an accessible format. We welcome the opportunity to discuss flexibility requirements with our applicants to encourage agile working and innovation.