Epocal, part of Siemens Healthineers, is a leading manufacturer of a clinical Point Of Care (POC) diagnostic product. The epoc© Blood Analysis System is healthcare’s first cost-effective POC testing solution to leverage Smartcard Technology and wireless communication to provide caregivers with real-time, lab-quality blood gas, electrolyte, and metabolite results at the patient bedside. This system is now a well-established tool of the medical profession available worldwide. Epocal is committed to delivering high-quality products and services that patients and providers can rely on for consistently accurate and actionable information. We deploy unique innovative technologies that not only transform diagnostic products, but also expand into new platforms and solutions with proven health and economic outcomes.
Epocal was acquired by Siemens Healthineers in October 2017. As a leading global healthcare company, we at Siemens Healthineers develop innovations that support better patient outcomes with greater efficiencies, giving providers the confidence they need to meet the clinical, operational, and financial challenges of a changing healthcare landscape. As a leader in medical imaging, laboratory diagnostics, and healthcare information technology, we have a keen understanding of the entire patient care continuum – from prevention and early detection to diagnosis and treatment.
For more than 100 years, Siemens Healthineers in Canada has helped healthcare providers achieve their goal of improving outcomes while reducing costs. From the Atlantic to Pacific oceans, more than 450 employees in Canada work together to deliver solutions for healthcare providers, resulting in 70% of medical decisions being influenced by the technologies we provide.
Under the supervision of the Clinical Lab Supervisor, the Finished Goods QC Lab Technician is responsible for:
- Testing of cards
- Reader validations testing and report generation
- Routine performance checks including Adaptive Process Control, linearity, lifetimes, and validations
- Assistance with testing requirements for Process Engineering, Test Engineering and R&D experiments
- Assisting in routine upkeep and operational tasks related to the Clinical Lab
Duties and Responsibilities
Key tasks and activities will be completed with guidance and supervision from a higher level technician or team leader:
- Testing for various purposes (using written instructions) of card lots coming from the assembly line
- Carries out routine maintenance and basic troubleshooting of clinical lab testing equipment, and records these activities in maintenance logs with assistance and guidance form a higher level technician.
- Ability to track inventory of clinical lab supplies and replace what is in house and communicate to responsible personnel reorder points.
- Participates in testing process and equipment improvement efforts, including testing of experimental card lots. Maintains appropriate records for testing of the lots.
Percent of Time
Production card Lot, Reader testing, Analysis
Experimental Lot Testing
Daily / Weekly
Test Equipment Maintenance / Phlebotomy
Note: Duties are not limited to those listed above. Additional duties may be assigned as required. However, reasonable accommodations will be made if all possible under business conditions.
- Reports directly to the Clinical Lab Lead Hand
- Regular interaction with Engineers and technical personnel
- Routine, detailed nature of testing
- Flexibility required for varied nature of card testing
- Regular and reoccurring exposure to blood from screened donors
- Flexibility with adjusting work hours to follow up with overnight shifts as scheduled
- Attention to detail is vital
- Proven ability to work and communicate effectively in a team environment while satisfying personal responsibilities
- Ability to function in a fast paced environment
- Ability to organize and prioritize responsibilities and multi-task
- Ability to assess and troubleshoot computers, software applications and equipment
- Ready to speak up about concerns
- Satisfaction derived from solid completion of tasks
- Clear understanding of health and safety in a lab environment
- Manual dexterity
- Ability to distinguish between colours
- Combination of sitting and standing
- Extended periods of detailed visual inspection
- Involves regular and recurring exposure to blood from screened donors
- Work involves inventorying and processing cards, which requires walking, bending, stretching and occasionally lifting boxes of up to 20lbs
Skills & Qualifications (Education and Experience)
- Post-secondary education in a field of Science or related field, and/or combination of education and technical experience acceptable to Epocal
- Proficient in using MS Office Suite (i.e. Excel, Word, PowerPoint) and capable in troubleshooting basic technological issues
- Clinical laboratory experience such as blood testing, use of pipettes, centrifuges, and table-top analyzers is an asset
- Some working knowledge of GMP and Good lab practices
- Knowledge of basic statistics is preferred
- Trained phlebotomist is considered an asset
Organization: Siemens Healthineers
Company: EPOCAL INC.
Experience Level: Experienced Professional
Job Type: Full-time
Siemens is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Upon request, Siemens Canada will provide reasonable accommodation for disabilities to support participation of candidates in all aspects of the recruitment process. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment.
By submitting personal information to Siemens Canada Limited or its affiliates, service providers and agents, you consent to our collection, use and disclosure of such information for the purposes described in our Privacy Code available at www.siemens.ca.
Siemens s’engage à créer un environnement diversifié et est fière d’être un employeur souscrivant au principe de l’égalité d’accès à l’emploi. Tous les candidats qualifiés seront pris en considération pour ce poste.
En transmettant des renseignements personnels à Siemens Canada limitée ou à ses sociétés affiliées, à ses fournisseurs de services ou à ses agents, vous nous autorisez à recueillir, à utiliser et à divulguer ces renseignements aux fins prévues dans notre Code de protection de la confidentialité, que vous pouvez consulter au www.siemens.ca.