Siemens Mobility are recruiting for a Principal Power Conversion Design Engineer for our Rail Infrastructure Electrification business in York.
The Principal Power Conversion Design Engineer is responsible for the leadership of our growing team of power conversion specialist engineers and engineering delivery across the portfolio of railway power conversion projects. They will use their extensive design and construction experience to guide the optimal development of design to meet environmental, safety, cost and programme objectives.
Reporting to the Power Systems and Innovation Engineering Manager, the successful applicant will continue to develop the team in order to deliver consistent high-quality power converter engineering delivery from concept and bid support to successful entry in to service. A key element of this role is interfacing with engineering delivery colleagues within the Siemens Mobility global specialist team and colleagues within alliance and product organisations across Siemens Mobility UK.
The team have demonstrated ability to successfully deliver power conversion projects and support the integration of novel technology into UK railway, driving down the cost of UK electrification and decarbonisation through application of the full range of internationally proven electrification technologies and integration into legacy railway. This is a unique opportunity, leading a team of experts that is redefining what is possible in UK railway electrification.
The Principal Design Engineer in performing his/her role will be required to work closely with the clients, Project Managers, Siemens Design Delivery Manager and all third-party designers to ensure an integrated and collaborative design solution is presented for this project.
What will be my Responsibilities?
- Lead and inspire designers by example and through the maintenance of team vision, standards and morale.
- Focus on individual and team development to expand the Power Conversion Design team through mentoring, training, developing and recruiting system design engineers through delivery of training, hands-on demonstration, example and performance management.
- To manage the development of fully compliant suitable designs to meet the requirements of the contract, with overall responsibility for assurance of all team delivery so that technical and safety standards are maintained, costs minimised, constructability and future reliability optimised.
- Supervise development of resource estimates for remits, and support tendering to secure team workbank.
- Monitor delivery throughout to ensure consistent delivery of high quality results on time and budget.
- Act as Contractors’ Responsible Engineer on allocated projects as directed.
- Maintain and develop good relationships with customers, industry associations, and partners.
- Encourage and develop good engineering links at all levels across Siemens Rail Electrification.
- Develop and produce reports associated with the performance of the department on a monthly basis with an emphasis on the design performance.
- To positively influence design and construction safety performance and aims for zero accidents
- To support the project commercial process with the Commercial Manager and ensure all design change requests are processed on time
- To review project-based risk register monitoring and reporting on changes in commercial risk and ensure that appropriate actions are taken to eliminate or mitigate the risks.
- To maintain effective communications with all project participants to ensure contract delivery.
Where called upon the post holder would also undertake the role of Contractors Appointed Engineer (CRE) in accordance with the requirements of Network Rail regime and shall be able to demonstrate competencies associated with Issue 6 of NR/L2/INI/02009.
What Qualifications and Experience do I need?
- Experience with establishing and managing high performing teams of people, aligned to business objectives.
- Excellent leadership, motivational, and inter-personal skills.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Excellent understanding of task, time and people management.
- Experience with direct client interface and representing the business to external parties.
- Experience and knowledge of engineering process at all stages of the engineering lifecycle
- Demonstrable experience of developing new system design capability
- Demonstrable expertise in a range of DNO and railway traction power, earthing, power quality and carbon study techniques
- Bachelors’ degree in Mechanical, Electrical Engineering
- Member of the IET or equivalent Professional Body; Chartered status is desirable
- Broad multidisciplinary experience in railway electrification operation and design, preferably in Network Rail or London Underground.
- Flexible, innovative approach, able to evaluate, adapt and apply alternative new technologies
- 26 days holiday, increasing up to 29 days with length of service
- Excellent pension, with Siemens matching contributions up to 10% of pensionable salary
- Flexible benefits to suit your personal needs
- Flexible working policy
- Investment in personal development and support to membership of professional institutions
We’re Siemens. A collection of over 377,000 great minds who are all making the future and you could be one of them. We have offices across the UK, full of talented individuals helping us to challenge the today and work towards a brighter tomorrow.
Want to join us and be a Future Maker?
We’re excited to hear that you would like to join us here at Siemens. Our people love it here and we want you to be a part of helping us make real, what matters.
We are looking forward to receiving your online application. Please ensure you complete all areas, of the application form, to the best of your ability to help us review your suitability for the role. We will be in contact as soon as possible with an update on your application.
What else do you need to know?
Our compensation package includes a competitive salary, holiday allowance, pension and other additional benefits. We celebrate the fact that our employees are individuals and have different wants and needs. With this in mind, we have a flexible benefits scheme where you can tailor your benefits package to suit you.
If we all thought the same, we would never think of anything new. That’s why we recruit great minds from all walks of life. We recognise that building a diverse workforce is essential to the success of our business, therefore we encourage applications from a diverse talent pool. We are proud to announce that we have partnered with VERCIDA, the UK's largest diversity and inclusion focused careers site where all our vacancies are in an accessible format. We welcome the opportunity to discuss flexibility requirements with our applicants to encourage agile working and innovation.
Organization: Siemens Mobility
Company: Siemens Mobility Limited
Experience Level: not defined
Job Type: Full-time