Our close contact to the business enables the opportunity to participate in projects in all areas of power system automation, power generation, renewables integration etc., making for an exciting and challenging environment! Have a look at our recent Picture of the Future publications on Energy Systems to get an overview of Siemens’ recent developments in this area.
This person will:
- Define specific technology roadmap elements for control and optimization of power systems based on advanced automatic control, optimization, and machine learning methods
- Implement these elements in research projects by acquiring R&D funding from Siemens’ business units and governmental funding agencies
- Lead and execute R&D projects to implement these roadmap elements in feasibility studies, technical specifications, prototypes, laboratory and field tests, as well as eventually into larger systems and product components.
- Provide guidance to junior research scientists, peers, and managers within our team and our business units
- Support the research group’s strategic technology, business, and people development
- Build a Siemens internal network to collaborate on larger, international projects
- Develop a network with universities, research labs, and other companies to jointly pursue governmental funding opportunities and develop a brand recognition externally
- Protect the results of your work through patent applications and publish protected results at conferences or in top journals.
Qualified candidates will have:
- Ph.D. in Engineering, Mathematics, Computer Science, or related fields with strong focus on automatic control and optimization for power systems required
- 5+ years of post-PhD experience in the same field, e.g. in an industrial research center, a national lab, or in academia required.
- 3+ years of experience in management of R&D projects required.
- Prior experience in defining and implementing technology roadmaps
- Strong theoretical background and practical experience in different optimization and automatic control methods like nonlinear and mixed-integer programming, and model-predictive control, robust and nonlinear control, reinforcement learning
- Solid understanding and practical expertise in power system design, engineering, and operation and corresponding modelling and simulation methods and tools
- Good knowledge of power generation devices like wind turbines or photovoltaic plants is a plus.
- Proven track record developing new research demonstrated by a strong publication record and early developments to the level of a working system prototypes as well as involvement in writing funding proposals for research grants.
- Knowledge of tools and programming languages typically used to support design and validation of optimization and controller design, e.g. C/C++, MATLAB, Simulink.
- Established network with US research institutions and academia is a plus.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication (verbal & written) skills in English required. Capable of presenting complex technical topics in a clear and structured way, ability to moderate discussions, meetings, and projects.
- Flexibility and resourcefulness to work in a growing, dynamic, interdisciplinary team of specialists.
Siemens is a global technology powerhouse that has stood for engineering excellence, innovation, quality, reliability and internationally for more than 172 years. To tap business opportunities in both new and established markets, the Company is organized in operating and strategic companies: Smart Infrastructure, Digital Industries, Siemens Mobility, Siemens Gamesa, Siemens Healthineers & Siemens Energy. (see also http://www.siemens.com/businesses/us/en/).
Right now, we’re powering a whole country, finding ways to prevent malaria, making cities smarter, developing renewable energy, designing 3D robots, transporting people at 250 mph and helping NASA explore Mars. Our experience has shown that key technology components coming from areas like advanced controls, AI, analytics, IOT, Cyber-Security, additive manufacturing and materials science are extremely relevant for such innovations.
Siemens Technology plays an important role in this as a strategic partner to Siemens’ operative units. It provides pre-development (aka research) services, prototyping, technology evaluation and assessments as well as technology consulting to all of Siemens’ businesses.
We help business units discover new business ideas and develop them into software solutions and successful products. Our research results influence Siemens products and are reflected in patents and publications in journals and conferences. Moreover, the team pursuits government funding opportunities, often in collaboration with top academic partners.
We also offer a generous remote working environment as well as robust health and wellness benefits to promote healthy living and support the best lifestyle for you and your family.
At Siemens we are always challenging ourselves to build a better future. We need the most innovative and diverse Digital Minds to develop tomorrow‘s reality. Find out more about the Digital world of Siemens here: www.siemens.com/careers/digitalminds
We are more than employees; we are actively helping to make people’s lives a little better every day. Would you like to be a part of that? Then join us. We offer you a high level of practical relevance as well as an opportunity to individually contribute your knowledge and your visions around the world. Whether you’re helping to develop products for the operating units or working in interdisciplinary projects for the business areas: At Siemens Technology you’ll be working in the heart of Siemens’ technological research together with the best.
Successful candidate must be able to work with controlled technology in accordance with US Export Control Law. US Export Control laws and applicable regulations govern the distribution of strategically important technology, services and information to foreign nationals and foreign countries. Siemens may require candidates under consideration for employment opportunities to submit information regarding citizenship status to allow the organization to comply with specific US Export Control laws and regulations. Additional information on the US Export Control laws & regulations can be found on http://www.bis.doc.gov/index.php/policy-guidance/deemed-exports/deemed-exports-faqs?view=category&id=33#subcat34
Company: Siemens Corporation
Experience Level: Experienced Professional
Job Type: Full-time
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Siemens is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship status, ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability unrelated to ability, marital status, family responsibilities, pregnancy, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, transgender, sex stereotyping, order of protection status, protected veteran or military status, or an unfavorable discharge from military service, and other categories protected by federal, state or local law.
EEO is the Law
Applicants and employees are protected under Federal law from discrimination. To learn more, Click here.
Pay Transparency Non-Discrimination Provision
Siemens follows Executive Order 11246, including the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision. To learn more, Click here.
California Privacy Notice
California residents have the right to receive additional notices about their personal information. To learn more, click here.