Siemens Mobility are recruiting for a Senior Design Engineer for our Rail Infrastructure Electrification business based out or York. Reporting to the HV Professional Head of Discipline and/or Engineering Manager, the successful applicant will support the HV team in order to deliver consistent high-quality HV engineering solutions from concept and bid support to successful entry into service.
The Senior Design Engineer shall be responsible for the production and development of GRIP 4-5 Contract Design submission documentation together with all other associated documentation in the provision of 25kV substations on the East Coast Mainline and Transpennine routes.
Day to day the Senior Design Engineer shall support the Design Delivery Manager in the management; control and co-ordination of the program of design works to time, scope and budget, ensuring all engineering, safety, quality and environmental requirements are met.
What will be my Responsibilities?
- Work closely with the clients, Project Managers, Siemens Design Delivery Manager and all third-party designers to ensure an integrated and collaborative design solution is presented.
- Co-ordinate his/her designs as part of a multi-disciplinary project and ideally have experience of working within an Alliance environment.
- To manage the development of fully compliant suitable designs to meet the requirements of the contract and/or related Engineering documents.
- At a project level, lead and inspire designers by example and through the maintenance of team vision, standards and morale. Provide Design leadership for the design team that covers cross discipline work streams to provide an integrated solution for the customer.
- Management and coordination of interdisciplinary designs i.e Civils, Signalling, SCADA, M&E, Protection & Control and Telecoms etc.
- Support to senior team in the review and appraise of tender specs and associated project documents.
- Understand primary interfaces, design drivers and stakeholders on projects that will influence the technical design.
- To positively influence design and construction safety performance and aims for zero accidents
- To support the project commercial process
- To ensure that all project designs are compliant with CDM and CSM RA regulations.
- To review project-based risk register monitoring and reporting on changes in commercial risk and ensure that appropriate actions are taken to eliminate or mitigate the risks.#
- Mentorship to junior and seasoned engineers in maintaining CPD, competency under the direction of the Professional Head Discipline.
- Where called upon the post holder would also undertake the role of Contractors Appointed Engineer (CRE)
What Skills, Knowledge and Experience will I need?
- Engineering degree or HND in a relevant discipline
- Professional membership of the IET or equivalent as an Incorporated Engineer.
- In Depth Knowledge of Railway Electrification Infrastructure and associated discipline standards.
- Demonstrable AC electrification and substation design experience.
- Full understanding of Health, Safety, Quality and Environmental procedures.
- Demonstrable safety management knowledge including CDM requirements.
- Extensive experience of Electrical Engineering design work including the use of relevant software packages
- Sufficient safety knowledge to ensure that all designs meet legal safety requirements.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills be able to effectively communicate and report at all levels
- Notable understanding of SCADA, IEC61850 and IEC 103 protocols
- Ideally hold an Authority To Work (AtW) in line with NR/L2/INI/02009 and/or previous evidence of competencies to NR/L2/INI/02009.
- A current AC/DC PTS would be advantageous
- Previous exposure/experience working with Static Frequency Converters (SFC’s) would be desirable
- Previous exposure/experience working TNO/DNO in the provision of Bulk Supply Points (BSP’s) desirable.
- 26 days holiday, increasing up to 29 days with length of service
- Excellent pension, with Siemens matching contributions up to 10% of pensionable salary
- Flexible benefits to suit your personal needs
- Flexible working policy
- Investment in personal development and support to membership of professional institutions
We’re Siemens. A collection of over 377,000 great minds who are all making the future and you could be one of them. We have offices across the UK, full of talented individuals helping us to challenge the today and work towards a brighter tomorrow.
Want to join us and be a Future Maker?
We’re excited to hear that you would like to join us here at Siemens. Our people love it here and we want you to be a part of helping us make real, what matters.
We are looking forward to receiving your online application. Please ensure you complete all areas, of the application form, to the best of your ability to help us review your suitability for the role. We will be in contact as soon as possible with an update on your application.
What else do you need to know?
Our compensation package includes a competitive salary, holiday allowance, pension and other additional benefits. We celebrate the fact that our employees are individuals and have different wants and needs. With this in mind, we have a flexible benefits scheme where you can tailor your benefits package to suit you.
If we all thought the same, we would never think of anything new. That’s why we recruit great minds from all walks of life. We recognise that building a diverse workforce is essential to the success of our business, therefore we encourage applications from a diverse talent pool. We are proud to announce that we have partnered with VERCIDA, the UK's largest diversity and inclusion focused careers site where all our vacancies are in an accessible format. We welcome the opportunity to discuss flexibility requirements with our applicants to encourage agile working and innovation.
Organization: Siemens Mobility
Company: Siemens Mobility Limited
Experience Level: not defined
Job Type: Full-time