Siemens Mobility are currently recruiting for a Senior System Design Engineer for our Rail Infrastructure - Electrification business. Based out of York, the successful candidate will join our growing and industry leading team of System Design Engineers. Reporting to the Principal Design Engineer, the successful applicant will be responsible for the traction power design for some of the most exciting rail projects in the UK.
The team has developed a reputation for challenging historic norms, driving down the cost of UK electrification and decarbonisation through application of the full range of internationally proven electrification technologies, and for their technical leadership in integrated railway, DNO power systems and EMC modelling of legacy systems.
What will be my Responsibilities?
- Lead project teams to deliver traction power and system designs for projects across the UK.
- Act as Contractors’ Responsible Engineer to the client, providing the interface between the detailed engineering and the client and project team.
- Use Siemens’ suite of cutting-edge tools to model and assess options for traction power systems including large scale, high level designs and small, detailed projects.
- Coordinate with the HV, LV, protection, construction, and other discipline teams to provide a coherent and safe system design.
- Understand and explain technical concepts to technical and non-technical clients.
- Develop Design Engineers and Assistant Design Engineers to assist in the continued progression of the System Design Team.
- Assure technical quality of project delivery so that technical and safety standards are maintained, costs minimised, constructability and future reliability optimised.
- Remain abreast of industry and societal changes, engage with clients and colleagues across Siemens in creatively applying technology to create new opportunities, driving down cost, carbon and improving safety.
- Monitor delivery throughout to ensure consistent delivery of high-quality results on time and budget.
- Encourage and develop good engineering links at all levels across Siemens.
What Qualifications and Experience do I need?
- Bachelors’ degree or HND in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering
- Broad multidisciplinary experience in railway electrification operation and design, preferably in Network Rail or London Underground.
- Experience with direct client interface and representing the business to external parties.
- Experience and knowledge of engineering process at all stages of the engineering lifecycle
- Member of the IET or equivalent Professional Body; Chartered status is desirable
- Excellent leadership, motivational, and inter-personal skills.
- Strong communication and presentation skills.
- Excellent understanding of task, time and people management.
- Strong mathematical and engineering fundamentals.
- Flexible, innovative approach, able to evaluate, adapt and apply alternative new technologies
- 26 days holiday, increasing up to 29 days with length of service
- Excellent pension, with Siemens matching contributions up to 10% of pensionable salary
- Flexible benefits to suit your personal needs
- Flexible working policy
- Investment in personal development and support to membership of professional institutions
We’re Siemens. A collection of over 377,000 great minds who are all making the future and you could be one of them. We have offices across the UK, full of talented individuals helping us to challenge the today and work towards a brighter tomorrow.
Want to join us and be a Future Maker?
We’re excited to hear that you would like to join us here at Siemens. Our people love it here and we want you to be a part of helping us make real, what matters.
We are looking forward to receiving your online application. Please ensure you complete all areas, of the application form, to the best of your ability to help us review your suitability for the role. We will be in contact as soon as possible with an update on your application.
What else do you need to know?
Our compensation package includes a competitive salary, holiday allowance, pension and other additional benefits. We celebrate the fact that our employees are individuals and have different wants and needs. With this in mind, we have a flexible benefits scheme where you can tailor your benefits package to suit you.
If we all thought the same, we would never think of anything new. That’s why we recruit great minds from all walks of life. We recognise that building a diverse workforce is essential to the success of our business, therefore we encourage applications from a diverse talent pool. We are proud to announce that we have partnered with VERCIDA, the UK's largest diversity and inclusion focused careers site where all our vacancies are in an accessible format. We welcome the opportunity to discuss flexibility requirements with our applicants to encourage agile working and innovation.
Organization: Siemens Mobility
Company: Siemens Mobility Limited
Experience Level: not defined
Job Type: Full-time