Siemens Mobility Limited are seeking an outstanding Senior Protection and Control Design Engineer for our Rail Infrastructure – Electrification business in York. The successful candidate will help drive forward not just the largest railway electrification projects in the UK, but also the state-of-the-art railway protection capability. You will be involved in introducing innovations and delivering a step change in performance of UK railway protection and control - making a real difference to safety and reliability of UK railways!
Reporting to the Design Manager, the Senior Design Engineer will be responsible to support and deliver consistent, high quality designs and to safely implement P&C projects. They will be responsible to support the growth of the Siemens Protection & Control (P&C) business in the UK. This will include the “in-house delivery” of the complete range of P&C design tasks. You will be responsible for ensuring that the quality of designs is to the required standards and that target dates are achieved. This includes design supply, project works, product development and shall be delivered in accordance with Siemens management processes.
Working alongside the best in the industry, you will be part of a dynamic team that is redefining what is possible in railway electrification.
What are my Responsibilities?
- Preparation of protection setting calculations (Distance, Over-current, Line Differential).
- Creation of protection and control relay configurations (different manufacturer’s like Siemens-Siprotec, GE-MiCOM, ABB-RED).
- Technical review, review of the distribution drawings for rail traction power.
- Creation of protection and control functional design specification document, option assessment with consideration to safety, faster fault clearance and simpler technology.
- Design network communication architecture topology including IP VLAN strategy.
- Provide functional support and guidance to the Design Delivery Manager, Project Manager, and others within the team on all aspects of Traction Power Design within allocated projects.
- Participate in and support the planning and progress of works in relation to timeline and budget and ensure that the development, design, construction, and testing requirements are met and effect remedial action when required.
- Maintain a continuous communication with contractors and customers in the development and implementation of projects to ensure a uniformity of purpose and common targets.
- Evaluate the quality and technical accuracy of tenders and make recommendations to obtain the best available options.
- Prepare and deliver briefings to staff on technical, procedural and Handbook publications, including participation in relevant training.
- Act as Contractors’ Responsible Engineer on allocated projects as directed.
- Perform duties as directed by Management from time to time in connection with traction power design activities.
What Qualifications and Experience do I need for this role?
- An Engineering Degree or HND minimum in a relevant discipline.
- Member of the IET or other recognised Professional body and working towards Chartered Engineer Status.
- Understanding of three phase and 25kV railway protection principles, and practical experience of fault analysis.
- Good Knowledge of Network Rail, British and International Standards.
- Understanding of the key interfaces between tendering, design, construction, and commissioning.
- Good knowledge of Project Safety requirements.
- Good commercial awareness and knowledge of contract conditions.
- Experience of Protection Philosophy development and documentation.
- Experience of configuration, implementation, de-bugging and testing IEC61850.
- Experience of network and SCADA configuration.
- Experience in producing Testing & Commissioning strategies and fault analysis experience.
- 26 days holiday, increasing up to 29 days with length of service
- Excellent pension, with Siemens matching contributions up to 10% of pensionable salary
- Flexible benefits to suit your personal needs
- Flexible working policy
- Investment in personal development and support to membership of professional institutions
We’re Siemens. A collection of over 377,000 great minds who are all making the future and you could be one of them. We have offices across the UK, full of talented individuals helping us to challenge the today and work towards a brighter tomorrow.
Want to join us and be a Future Maker?
We’re excited to hear that you would like to join us here at Siemens. Our people love it here and we want you to be a part of helping us make real, what matters.
We are looking forward to receiving your online application. Please ensure you complete all areas, of the application form, to the best of your ability to help us review your suitability for the role. We will be in contact as soon as possible with an update on your application.
What else do you need to know?
Our compensation package includes a competitive salary, holiday allowance, pension and other additional benefits. We celebrate the fact that our employees are individuals and have different wants and needs. With this in mind, we have a flexible benefits scheme where you can tailor your benefits package to suit you.
If we all thought the same, we would never think of anything new. That’s why we recruit great minds from all walks of life. We recognise that building a diverse workforce is essential to the success of our business, therefore we encourage applications from a diverse talent pool. We are proud to announce that we have partnered with VERCIDA, the UK's largest diversity and inclusion focused careers site where all our vacancies are in an accessible format. We welcome the opportunity to discuss flexibility requirements with our applicants to encourage agile working and innovation.
Organization: Siemens Mobility
Company: Siemens Mobility Limited
Experience Level: not defined
Job Type: Full-time