The System Architect drives and guides the creation of a functional architecture for a complete power system and of a technical realization concept over all its domain and technical aspects. This includes evaluating different concepts with respect to technological and commercial aspects. Specifying and integrating standard products, components and subsystems according to the required functionality of the system and coordinating their interfaces and interaction. Verify and validates the concepts and specifications versus the requirements and standards. Provides feedback and lessons learned to the Engineering Organization and R&D department. Acts internally as an integrating and coordinating technical function. May draft the integration test concept (in cooperation with the Requirements Engineer). May take over dispositive functions or responsibility for costs, time and quality (in cooperation or as substitute for the respective positions).
- Responsible for evaluation, selection, and application of standard techniques and procedures to perform engineering assignments.
- Provides technical support for installation, execute testing and commissioning activities.
- Prepares project documentation according to scope of deliverables.
- May assist proposals (provision of bills of materials, estimated engineering hours, etc.).
- Uses standard processes and tools applicable to one’s area of responsibility.
- Ensures that engineering activities comply with required safety regulations and contractual requirements.
- Reports processes and tools inefficiencies and suggests improvements ideas.
Project Management Contribution:
- Contributes with technical recommendations during project execution for any scope related issues or changes.
- Provides solutions based on customer requirements and delivers within budget and contract. Ensures adherence to safety standards and mitigation of potential risks.
- Defines work plans and cost estimates and ensures quality deliverables on time and within targeted cost.
- Improves effectiveness of work plan in collaboration with other functions.
- Completes risk and opportunity assessments and ensures implementation of resulting actions in one’s area of responsibility. Reports any contract / quality / program / cost issues to management along with recommendations for resolution.
- Assists customers on technical issues, interacts with official contacts, contractors, and other staff within the scope of deliverables. Assist communication pertaining to specific assignments or meetings.
- Collaborates with the Purchasing function to ensure that technical requirements for equipment or services are communicated and agreed on with potential suppliers.
- Provides technical evaluation of supplier proposals and accepts as fit for purpose supplied equipment or services.
Knowledge, Experience, Skills, and Education:
- Engineering Degree and a minimum of 5 years of experience
- Familiar with protection applications for switchgears, transformers, bus bars, generators, capacitors, and reactors.
- Development of complete engineering design packages for protective relaying, control, and communications systems, including AC one-line and three-line diagrams, DC schematics, logic and functional diagrams, panel layouts, interconnection diagrams, relaying and control equipment specifications, and bill of materials.
- Experience with substation automation communication protocols like IEC61850, Modbus, DNP, etc.
- Creation and execution of test plans for factory acceptance testing (FAT) and site acceptance testing (SAT).
- Troubleshooting of protection, control, and communication problems along with evaluating faults through disturbance analysis.
- Experience with SEL (Schweitzer Electronic Laboratories) product portfolio and knowledge of other vendors (Siemens, GE, Beckwith) is a plus
- Knowledge of Medium/High Voltage electrical switchgear layouts, systems, and components
Applicants must be legally authorized for employment in the United States without need for current or future employer-sponsored work authorization.
Organization: Smart Infrastructure
Company: Siemens Industry, Inc.
Experience Level: Experienced Professional
Job Type: Full-time
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Siemens is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship status, ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability unrelated to ability, marital status, family responsibilities, pregnancy, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, transgender, sex stereotyping, order of protection status, protected veteran or military status, or an unfavorable discharge from military service, and other categories protected by federal, state or local law.
EEO is the Law
Applicants and employees are protected under Federal law from discrimination. To learn more, Click here.
Pay Transparency Non-Discrimination Provision
Siemens follows Executive Order 11246, including the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision. To learn more, Click here.
California Privacy Notice
California residents have the right to receive additional notices about their personal information. To learn more, click here.