An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Principal Project Engineer to join our Project Engineering team within the Siemens Mobility Limited, Rail Infrastructure, Mobile Communications business at Poole.
Our Team and what we do:
As market leaders across rail, road and logistics, Siemens Mobility Limited are pursuing the goal of networking various transportation systems with one another to move people and goods efficiently - complete mobility.
Rail Infrastructure offers a wide range of systems for signaling, control, communications and electrification for main line, regional, metro and light rail infrastructure applications. By bringing together the combined expertise of UK and Germany, we offer complete infrastructure solutions tailored for our market. Siemens’ dedicated rail infrastructure team is fully committed to delivering an efficient, reliable, safe and green railway.
The Mobile Communications business in Poole supplies on-board GSM-R equipment and other engineering solutions to rail industry operators and suppliers worldwide. This includes the GSM-R cab radio with GPS and LTE connectivity and the GSM-R data radio. We have earned a respected reputation in the industry which has developed as a result of our success in delivering to our customers. In addition, we are leading the way within the railway industry in developing the next generation of rail communications (Future Railway Mobile Communication System), based on 4G and 5G technology, so this is a great time to join the business in the development of a new, exciting technology.
Your role, and what you’ll be doing:
This is a dynamic, customer facing role where you will take technical responsibility for GSM-R and FRMCS projects throughout the full project life cycle, working in partnership with the Project Manager. This is from the early stages of bids and tenders, to customer requirements capture, through validation, testing, approvals and installation, to on-going customer support.
As the technical authority, you will contribute to the planning and lead implementation of projects delivering a technical solution which meets the customers’ needs and complies with industry specifications. This role demands developed communication and interpersonal skills as you will collaborate with teams across the business to understand and deliver solutions to the customer. This includes Software and Hardware Development teams, Sales, Accounting and Production, as well as frequently liaising, influencing and establishing rapport with our customers.
- Technical responsibility for delivering technical and engineering elements of a project, tender or work-package item for all stages of a project, including systems analysis and design, implementation, validation and test, and engineering support to commissioning.
- Produce product requirements from a customer specification, and define development of new features
- Lead on project risk identification and management
- Designing technical solutions based on GSM-R or FRMCS specifications and writing and reviewing associated documentation to meet customer requirements
- Anticipating, identifying and resolving complex system issues as and when they may arise, including those raised by the customer
- Providing support to the business during the project lifecycle, e.g. bid tendering through to post implementation, accurately estimating cost, resources, timeline and risk for engineering projects and activities
- Achieving budgets, timescales, quality and performance targets. Project responsibility for engineering team, where applicable, and responsible for ensuring that all work is conducted safely and to the required standards
- Represent Siemens at factory and site customer acceptance testing, both executing tests and documenting results
- Work overseas as required to ensure the project is delivered to the customer's satisfaction
- If required, line management responsibilities of junior Project Engineers, including mentoring, development and empowerment to foster their growth within the business
- Maintaining and actively developing own professional competence
- Fostering innovation in others and capturing innovative ideas, seeking to maximise the benefit of intellectual property to the business through communication of potential patents and innovative ideas to the relevant parts of the business
- Ensuring that persons working under their supervision are competent and safe to carry out tasks assigned to them, and that they accept personal responsibility for work done under the authority delegated
What do I need to qualify for this job?
- Previous experience and knowledge of project engineering activities at all stages of the engineering lifecycle, preferably within a railway environment
- Experience in communications (GSM, 3G/4G/5G) or software engineering would be useful, but not essential
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with an ability to write clear, concise and comprehensive technical documentation
- Electrical/Electronic/Software Engineering degree or similar, ideally achieved or working towards Chartership
- Travel and working in a depot environment is expected, therefore able to travel within the UK and abroad for short periods, working with customers and colleagues from other Siemens businesses
We’re Siemens. A collection of over 377,000 great minds who are all making the future and you could be one of them. We have offices across the UK, full of talented individual’s helping us to challenge the today and work towards a brighter tomorrow.
Want to join us and be a Future Maker?
We’re excited to hear that you would like to join us here at Siemens. Our people love it here and we want you to be a part of helping us make real, what matters.
We are looking forward to receiving your online application. Please ensure you complete all areas of the application form, to the best of your ability, to help us review your suitability for the role. We will be in contact as soon as possible with an update on your application.
What else do I need to know?
Our compensation package includes a competitive salary, holiday allowance, pension and overtime. We celebrate the fact that our employees are individuals and have different wants and needs. With this in mind, we have a flexible benefits scheme where you can tailor your benefits package to suit you.
If we all thought the same, we would never think of anything new. That’s why we recruit great minds from all walks of life. We recognise that building a diverse workforce is essential to the success of our business, therefore we encourage applications from a diverse talent pool. We are proud to announce that we have partnered with VERCIDA, the UK's largest diversity and inclusion focused careers site where all our vacancies are in an accessible format. We welcome the opportunity to discuss flexibility requirements with our applicants to encourage agile working and innovation.
Organization: Siemens Mobility
Company: Siemens Mobility Limited
Experience Level: not defined
Job Type: Full-time