Believe there’s more than one way to secure a successful future?
So do we. We believe our apprenticeship programmes are a great option for ambitious and hard-working students. Especially as you’ll be able to learn new skills whilst earning a salary as well as the reputation that comes with working for a digital pioneer like Siemens.
Siemens has expertise in many areas of technology, one of them being Railway Signalling Control systems and equipment, helping people get from A to B every single day, safely.
Siemens Mobility Ltd help to solve the problems of increasing traffic by working with railway operators to improve the capacity, punctuality and security of their systems and to ensure that the carbon footprint produced by transportation is kept to a minimum. As part of our Mobility division, you will be part of a team helping to design solutions and systems which have a real impact on the real world.
As an apprentice in Siemens Rail Infrastructure, you will be working with one of the Signalling design teams based at one of our locations in the UK. You will help to provide signalling solutions to the world’s Rail networks with the market leader in train control in the UK and globally.
Part of being an apprentice at Siemens means you get to work on real life projects whilst also being supported on a guided learning journey. This will be a minimum 3 year apprenticeship where you'll study towards the following: A BTEC (Level 3) or a HNC (Level 4) qualification in Electrical Engineering (this depends on your pre-existing qualifications), an IRSE Licence in Operational Signalling Verification Testing, an NVQ Level 3 or Level 4 in Engineering and any other internal training programs as deemed appropriate by us.
Here is what you can make a difference in:
- As a Signalling Installation Technician apprentice, you will be working towards gaining the Skills, Knowledge and occupational Competence to show you are capable of:
- Understanding and interpreting installation documentation/diagrams.
- Working independently to prioritise tasks and make decisions.
- Have a solid understanding of the signalling systems you will eventually work with and how they interface with other systems and equipment on the operational railway.
You will be able use tools and test equipment correctly to:
- Install and wire signalling equipment and systems
- Remove and replace signalling components as part of a renewal activity
- Carry out installation integrity checks, such as wire counts and continuity checks
You will also be trained to:
- Be able to make a clear distinction between your own integrity checks and subsequent functional testing.
- Be aware of the risks that your activity may have on the operational railway and prioritise your work to take into account operational, site and environmental conditions
- Ensure that the correct resources are available for the tasks and that adequate arrangements are made to handover work at the end of your shift resolving any problems with the installation work within the limits of your authority as a fully qualified Signalling Installation Technician.
We are looking for forward-thinking, inquisitive candidates that demonstrate the following characteristics:
- You think logically, willing to self-learn and research, and take a creative approach to problem solving
- You enjoy collaborating with others to find innovative solutions
- You can work independently, safely and responsibly; take ownership of challenges and ideas and are looking to develop your ability to drive and lead change
- Identify with our values of Zero Harm, Innovative, Excellent and Responsible. We can teach you the knowledge on your apprenticeship however its also means a lot to us for you to align to our culture and behaviours.
Minimum educational requirements:
You will have achieved or be on track to achieve at least 5 GCSE's grade 4 or above including maths and English language or 3 A Levels (or BTEC equivalent) at grade C or above.
To go onto a level 4 apprenticeship, you will also need 3 A Levels, one of which should be Maths or a level 3 BTEC in a numerate subject.
The benefits of an apprenticeship:
- Continue your learning beyond college/school whilst earning a salary at the same time as well as an annual bonus!
- Have the chance to join a community of highly skilled professionals who will help you on your learning journey
- Stay at the fore-front of innovation by joining Europe's leading engineering and technology company
- Join our flexible benefits scheme with access to private medical care, discounted cinema tickets and gym membership and so much more!
What else do I need to know?
We’re looking for forward-thinking teammates with the aptitude and attitude to succeed in the world of Railway Signalling. Think this is you? Apply Now.
If we all thought the same, we would never think of anything new. That’s why we recruit great minds from all walks of life. We embrace diversity and create what’s right for the world by employing the people who live in it.
Siemens recognise that building a diverse workforce is critical to the success of our business. We strongly encourage applications from a diverse talent pool and welcome the opportunity to discuss flexibility requirements and workplace adjustments with all our applicants to encourage agile working and innovation.
Organization: Siemens Mobility
Company: Siemens Mobility Limited
Experience Level: not defined
Job Type: Full-time