The System Test Rigs team, part of the System Engineering department, are responsible for designing and building complex simulation systems that allow railway signalling and control equipment for main line, metro, and light rail projects to be prototyped, integrated, tested and proven in a lab environment.
The Senior Software Engineer will play a lead role in one or more of system design, software requirements analysis, software architecting and detailed software design and development of key software-based projects.
The jobholder will be capable of building and maintaining strong communication links with Global R&D, the Delivery Teams and the client, (where necessary) and will be capable of interpreting and influencing their delivery strategy based on the needs of these stakeholders.
What are my responsibilities?
The Senior Software Engineer will be expected to provide technical leadership for their allocated tasks. The role includes responsibilities for the following software engineering activities as assigned by the Systems Engineering Team Lead/Manager:
- Liaise with project team(s) to highlight software solutions/techniques that can improve system portability/reliability and/or reduce cost/timescales
- Requirements analysis and specification of high-level software design
- Software architecture definition
- Development, implementation and maintenance of software design
- Code and test of embedded systems
- Development of software and integration test specifications
- Support of integration and system testing
- Report on progress as required
- Maintain up to date change and software configuration management records
What do I need to qualify for this role?
- Graduate in relevant engineering discipline or other numerate subject, although equivalent engineering experience would also be considered (essential)
- Proficient in C#.NET, C/C++, and Verilog (essential)
- Experience in development of real-time, embedded software and FPGA logic (essential)
- Self-motivated, adaptable, and able to learn quickly (essential)
- Demonstrable knowledge of good development standards and practices as applicable to engineering disciplines, with experience of delivering systems in a controlled software environment (essential)
- Knowledge and experience of configuration management and control practices (essential)
- Willingness to occasionally work on-site and/or travel overseas (essential)
- Knowledge, particularly experience of developing Safety Critical Software
- Experience with VB6/VB.NET and Ada83/Ada95
- Railway Industry background. Knowledge of CENELEC 50128
- Systems Engineering experience
- Knowledge of IBM Rational Synergy, SVN, Redmine, MODBUS, SCADA/OPC, TCP/IP, Serial communications protocols, Win32 API and XML
- Experience of working closely with electronic/computer hardware interfaces at a firmware level and writing device drivers
We’re Siemens. A collection of over 377,000 great minds who are all making the future and you could be one of them. We have offices across the UK, full of talented individual’s helping us to challenge the today and work towards a brighter tomorrow.
Want to join us and be a Future Maker?
We’re excited to hear that you would like to join us here at Siemens. Our people love it here and we want you to be a part of helping us make real, what matters.
We are looking forward to receiving your online application. Please ensure you complete all areas of the application form to the best of your ability to help us review your suitability for the role. We will be in contact as soon as possible with an update on your application.
What else do you need to know?
Our compensation package includes a competitive salary, holiday allowance and pension. We celebrate the fact that our employees are individuals and have different wants and needs. With this in mind, we have a flexible benefits scheme where you can tailor your benefits package to suit you.
If we all thought the same, we would never think of anything new. That’s why we recruit great minds from all walks of life. We recognise that building a diverse workforce is essential to the success of our business, therefore we encourage applications from a diverse talent pool. We are proud to announce that we have partnered with VERCIDA, the UK's largest diversity and inclusion focused careers site where all our vacancies are in an accessible format. We welcome the opportunity to discuss flexibility requirements with our applicants to encourage agile working and innovation.
At Siemens we are always challenging ourselves to build a better future. We need the most innovative and diverse Digital Minds to develop tomorrow’s reality. Find out more about the Digital world of Siemens here: www.siemens.com/careers/digitalminds
Organization: Siemens Mobility
Company: Siemens Mobility Limited
Experience Level: not defined
Job Type: Full-time