Mode of Employment: Limited: 36 months, part-time 17,5 h/ week
Your extra treasure of experience.
How will we travel, communicate, and use energy in the world of tomorrow? Work on the right answers with us. We are looking for bright minds – thinkers with a passion for practical matters. In short, people who can turn their questions and ours into exciting new discoveries. When you join our team as one of our PhD students, you will find many opportunities to get involved. Seize the chance to be part of our global network, make key contacts, and get your career as well as your personal life on the best track. Our teams are curious to meet you.
Change the future with us.
Internet of Things (IoT) connects physical world to digital world by collecting data, processing it, and connecting things to automate complex processes. Industrial IoT aims to automate the complex industrial processes by establishing communication and cooperation between industrial devices, to achieve higher production efficiency and shorter time to market. One of the prominent industrial standards used for this purpose is called OPC UA, which is a widely known standard used for M2M communication between the industrial devices, as well as for the vertical communication from machine to cloud. Using the OPC UA standard, the communication between industrial devices from various application domains can be established not only at protocol level but also at semantic level.
The semantic interoperability is enabled by OPC UA, using information models called companion specifications. The companion specifications are developed by the domain experts in each domain. However, currently the capability of the companion specifications is limited since, they are not machine interpretable. This limits their usability to realize advanced industrial IoT use cases. This PhD topic envisions the enablement of advanced industrial IoT use cases such as agile commissioning, brownfield integration, rapid application development, horizontal and vertical integration, digital twin, and others. Therefore, the goal of this PhD work is to unleash the full potential of the OPC UA information models to enable the industrial devices as smart devices, which are aware of their own capabilities and that of their surroundings. For these smart devices novel methods should be developed to make them flexible to adapt to rapidly changing manufacturing challenges in a smart factory and implement advanced Industrial IoT use cases on the devices. The work should address the constantly evolving industry challenges, e.g., adopt the technologies to be embedded for cloud and IoT edge environments etc.
What part will you play?
· contribute to the applied research in the area of IoT, OPC UA, and Knowledge Graphs in order to realize industrial IoT use cases
· present complex ideas and research results effectively, both orally and in writing
· actively drive the discussion on main research questions and their relevance for Siemens
· contribute to the discussions in standardization groups
· participate to internal and public funded research projects
· secure your work through patent filings
· publish scientific publications to present and discuss your findings in internal and external research communities
· build internal and external networks to advance your work and secure innovation
· supervise internship and M.Sc. students
We don’t need superheroes, just super minds.
· excellent M.Sc. degree (or equivalent) in computer science or related disciplines
· deep understanding of Semantic Technologies
· sound knowledge of OPC UA standard
· good understanding of Machine Learning (ML) and Natural Language Processing (NLP)
· very good interpersonal communication and presentation skills both in English and German
· a strong achievement drive and genuine desire to discover new things on their own
Please include an expressive cover letter, explaining your motivation to do this PhD as well as deep knowledge and relevant experience in field of research described above.
Wanted: A curious mind that wants to combine high-level academic research with meaningful applications!
if you wish to find out more about Siemens before applying.
if you have more questions please contact: www.siemens.de/fragenzurbewerbung
if you would like to find out more about jobs & careers at Siemens.
As an equal-opportunity employer we are happy to consider applications from individuals with disabilities.
Company: Siemens AG
Experience Level: Recent College Graduate
Job Type: Part-time