An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Bid Manager to join our Sales team within the Siemens Mobility Limited, Rail Infrastructure, Mobile Communications business in Poole.
Our Team and what we do:
As market leaders across rail, road and logistics, Siemens Mobility Limited are pursuing the goal of networking various transportation systems with one another to move people and goods efficiently - complete mobility!
Rail Infrastructure offers a wide range of systems for signaling, control, communications and electrification for main line, regional, metro and light rail infrastructure applications. By bringing together the combined expertise of UK and Germany, we offer complete infrastructure solutions tailored for our market. Siemens’ dedicated rail infrastructure team is fully committed to delivering an efficient, reliable, safe and green railway.
The Mobile Communications business in Poole supplies on-board GSM-R equipment and other engineering solutions to rail industry operators and suppliers worldwide. This includes the GSM-R cab radio with GPS and LTE connectivity and the GSM-R data radio. We have earned a respected reputation in the industry which has developed as a result of our success in delivering to our customers across the globe. We have radio equipment on almost every train in Great Britain and in many countries across Europe, Africa, the Middle East and Australia. In addition, we are leading the way within the railway industry in developing the next generation of rail communications (Future Railway Mobile Communication System), based on 4G and 5G technology, so this is a great time to join the business in the development of a new, exciting technology.
Your role, and what you’ll be doing:
This is a dynamic, varied role where you will take responsibility for all Mobile Comms bidding activities.
The Bid Manager will be expected to manage the delivery of different size bids (normally between £50k and £5m and sometime up to £15m) through corporate governance procedures, including parallel approval workstreams (e.g. financial, technical, commercial etc.).
You will be chairing a weekly Bid no Bid meeting on a Monday to track new bid activity and progress on existing bids and also a weekly review ( every Friday) of the offers that are ready to be released to the Customers.
- Management of the creation of winning tenders through full bid lifecycle from Bid/No-Bid through to customer negotiation and Contract Award, for bids ranging from £50k up to £15m.
- Implementation of winning bid strategies ensuring a breakdown of tender requirements and coordination of all technical, commercial and financial aspects of the estimation and proposal creation process (including pricing structures, subcontract partnerships etc.)
- Preparation, review and coordination of compelling tender documentation ensuring high levels of consistency and quality, that adequately captures our offer, provides an accurate baseline for a future project, incorporates lessons learned, and mitigates company risks
- Preparation of all review meeting materials and coordination of the close-out of all actions where required for individual tenders
- Provision of leadership to the tender team and allocated business resources, influencing and negotiating with people at mid mgmt. levels, including providing progress reports to management
- Involvement in pre and post bid submission negotiations with the client encompassing technical, financial and commercial considerations, acting as the client single point of contact in relation to bids.
- Production and delivery of presentations (internal and external to the client) up to management level
- Responsible for transferring knowledge from the tendering team to the Delivery team, verifying the tender and achieving scope stability and handover to Delivery
- Accurate management of bid budgets, and ensuring Siemens RI company policies and procedures (including quality assurance) as suitably followed, striking the right balance between governance and cost efficiency
- Implement improvement in company processes and standards in relation to bid management
What do I need to qualify for this role?
- Bid management experience from an engineering project-based business, in a regulated industry, with experience leading bids between £50k and £5m.
- Possess a good understanding of the way in which Train to ground communication projects are managed and delivered in order to influence, monitor and challenge every aspect of the bid i.e. project management, finance, engineering, planning, delivery and commercial inputs.
- Commercially astute, and able to structure a bid to present the offer in the best light whilst minimising risk to the business
- Strong customer focus, able to manage complex negotiations with the client as appropriate.
- Ability to influence and negotiate with people at mid-levels within Siemens and customer organisations, whilst fostering strong working relationships
- Excellent communication skills both oral and written.
- IEE or MIRSE preferable
- Previously, or currently, occupying the position of Bid Manager, Associate Bid Manager, in an engineering project-based business.
- Excellent problem solving, verbal and written communication skills with an ability to write clear, concise and comprehensive tender documents.
- IT skills; You will require, as a minimum, a good knowledge of Microsoft Office elements including Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint.
To succeed in the role, you will need to be adaptable, able to apply your core knowledge base from your degree or equivalent, as well as gaining a highly detailed understanding of our products and a workable understanding of software engineering, electrical and electronic engineering and communications.
The role is primarily based in the Poole office (with some home working possible); however, some travel is expected including international travel to participate in external meetings, testing or other on-site work including on-board trains.
- 26 days holiday, increasing up to 29 days with length of service
- Excellent pension, with Siemens matching contributions up to 10% of pensionable salary
- Flexible benefits to suit your personal needs
- Flexible working policy
- Investment in personal development and support to membership of professional institutions
We’re Siemens. A collection of over 377,000 great minds who are all making the future and you could be one of them. We have offices across the UK, full of talented individuals helping us to challenge the today and work towards a brighter tomorrow.
Want to join us and be a Future Maker?
We’re excited to hear that you would like to join us here at Siemens. Our people love it here and we want you to be a part of helping us make real, what matters.
We are looking forward to receiving your online application. Please ensure you complete all areas, of the application form, to the best of your ability to help us review your suitability for the role. We will be in contact as soon as possible with an update on your application.
What else do you need to know?
Our compensation package includes a competitive salary, holiday allowance, pension and other additional benefits. We celebrate the fact that our employees are individuals and have different wants and needs. With this in mind, we have a flexible benefits scheme where you can tailor your benefits package to suit you.
If we all thought the same, we would never think of anything new. That’s why we recruit great minds from all walks of life. We recognise that building a diverse workforce is essential to the success of our business, therefore we encourage applications from a diverse talent pool. We are proud to announce that we have partnered with VERCIDA, the UK's largest diversity and inclusion focused careers site where all our vacancies are in an accessible format. We welcome the opportunity to discuss flexibility requirements with our applicants to encourage agile working and innovation.
Organization: Siemens Mobility
Company: Siemens Mobility Limited
Experience Level: not defined
Job Type: Full-time