Do you want to shape and contribute to the future of healthcare? We are looking for an experienced MRI Scientist to join our team based at Trinity College, Dublin.
This is a 3 year fixed term contract.
The role will include site-based scientific support of a research programme aligned to Siemens and Trinity research interests. Trinity's research interests include the development of new MRI imaging techniques to investigate brain disorders such as neonatal brain injury, prematurity, ADHD, schizophrenia, depression, and neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer’s & Parkinson’s.
Established in 1592, Trinity College Dublin is Ireland’s leading university and is ranked 101st in the world. Trinity College Institute of Neuroscience (TCIN) brings together 45 academic and clinical investigators and their research groups from a wide range of disciplines. TCIN’s MRI scanners are used primarily for structural, functional and diffusion MRI of the brain, with particular strengths in the imaging of infants and older populations, building on strong collaborations clinicians at local hospitals.
You will be responsible for the design and implementation of MR research projects in collaboration with our MR research partners in Dublin. It is anticipated that a substantial proportion of your time will be devoted to supporting collaborations in this increasingly active area, and for providing consultation as well as advanced scientific support to our joint projects in MR.
The position offers an exciting opportunity to become the interface between basic scientists, clinical researchers and Siemens Healthineers, which enjoys the position of industry leader for advancing imaging technology. It is anticipated that you will have a good understanding of MR physics and engineering, pulse sequence programming and in addition be able to demonstrate a good knowledge of the clinical applications of MR. An important aspect of this role is to identify potential new methods which might be developed into commercially viable products and, either within Siemens or in collaboration, to develop a strategy to implement, validate and potentially bring to market these ideas.
The role will offer a very close connection to both applied and clinical science and aims to identify and assist collaborative MR research projects. Integral to this position will be the pivotal role you will play in helping maintain Siemens Healthineers as the leading scientific and collaboration partner within the MR community.
This position will also involve supporting and initiating additional academic collaborations with our partner. Clinical research input and direct contribution to research projects and publications will be possible subject to the individually defined research projects. It is based on Trinity’s leafy 47-acre campus in central Dublin, with excellent transport connections and in close proximity to one of Europe’s largest concentrations of technology companies.
- Developing innovative MR techniques in close cooperation with our academic and clinical partners, and validating new applications clinically.
- Supporting the translation of advanced research concepts to a clinical environment for 'real-world' evaluation with the goal of integration into future products.
- Successfully driving collaboration projects.
- Submission of invention disclosures with the aim of protecting company intellectual property
- Publishing collaboration results at scientific congresses and in peer-reviewed journals together with our collaboration partners.
- Develop a strong relationship with the MR development team in Siemens MR Headquarters in Erlangen, Germany.
- Become the Interface for our collaboration partner to the collaboration, development and marketing teams in headquarters and the global customer network of leading institutions collaborating with Siemens.
- To report collaboration results back to product development and marketing.
- Administration and management of collaboration projects.
- Participation at scientific workshops in the region and giving presentations at meetings, seminars and scientific congresses.
Skills & Experience:
- Significant experience with scientific MR applications, image reconstruction and/or sequence programming with a proven track record, and affinity for the development of clinically relevant applications
- Proficient at programming in C++, ideally with experience of the Siemens IDEA sequence development environment (SDE) and image calculation environment (ICE).
- Outstanding communication skills to establish and maintain relationships between variety of people in different roles / levels and locations
- Good networking skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to create new and innovative solutions
- You enjoy working in a multicultural environment
- Excellent English language skills are required
- Although this role is site-based, there may be some requirement for international travel to the UK and elsewhere as well as within Ireland.
Desirable Skills and Experience
- Ideally, you are experienced in working together with physicians and MR imaging scientists, with a history of publishing in scientific journals
- An awareness of intellectual property rights and appropriate handling of sensitive intellectual material
Being part of our team:
Siemens Healthineers is a leading medical technology company with a 170-year legacy of first-to-market technologies and product innovations. Passionately driven by empowering healthcare providers to better help their patients, our technologies touch an estimated 5 million patients globally every day. We are committed to helping healthcare providers to succeed and work in the areas of diagnostic and therapeutic imaging, laboratory diagnostics and molecular medicine as well as digital health and enterprise services.
We are inspired to transform the way things are done – because we want what is best for our people, our customers, and ultimately to help everyone live longer and healthier lives. To find out more about our business and recent news, including our continued response to COVID-19, please explore our website.
- A competitive salary
- Generous pension contributions
- 26 days holiday
- Access to our flexible benefits from private medical insurance to dental cover
- Corporate Social Responsibility opportunities including 2 paid volunteering days per year
- Support from our 24/7 employee assistance programme
In addition, we provide a flexible and dynamic environment with the space to stretch beyond your comfort zone in order to grow both personally and professionally. Our unique team spirit arises from embracing different perspectives, open debate, and the will to challenge conventions. Change is a constant aspect of our work. We aspire to lead the change in our industry rather than just react to it. That’s why we want you to seek, implement and celebrate your best ideas.
We recognise that building a diverse workforce is critical to the success of our business. We strongly encourage applications from a diverse talent pool and welcome the opportunity to discuss flexibility requirements with our applicants to encourage agile working.
Organization: Siemens Healthineers
Company: Siemens Healthcare MS Ltd. UK
Experience Level: not defined
Job Type: Full-time