Now’s our time to inspire the future of healthcare together.
Siemens Healthineers is a leading global medical technology company with over 170 years of experience and 18,000 patents. More than 48,000 dedicated colleagues in over 70 countries are driven to shape the future of healthcare. We stand with our customers around the world to support them in delivering high quality care to their patients. An estimated 5 million patients across the globe benefit every day from our innovative technologies and services in the areas of diagnostic and therapeutic imaging, laboratory diagnostics and molecular medicine, as well as digital health and enterprise services. This is what truly matters to us.
Job Title : Sr. Scientist, Applications
Job Location: Berkeley, CA
Siemens Healthineers Molecular division makes the FTD SARS-CoV-2 assay running on our VERSANT kPCR Molecular System provide an automated, flexible and high quality solution to manage the COVID-19 pandemic. We have one of the most sensitive SARS-CoV-2 assays on the market as evidenced by the FDA Reference panel: SARS-CoV-2 Reference Panel Comparative Data
Are you the right scientist to work on Projects with a cross-functional focus as we add more new assays to use our systems and make improvements for increased customer satisfaction and usability? You will be involved in supporting reagent, system, and software development and improvement projects with IVD Molecular Diagnostics systems based on real-time PCR and liquid handling sample preparation solutions.
The Senior scientist will be responsible for providing cross-function technical expertise on our various system and software projects with new assays being added to the portfolio. This is a critical role as you will become an expert on how clinical samples run through the entire system workflow from Hamilton liquid handling through to Thermo Fisher PCR systems. The successful candidate will have strong background in general preanalytical chemistry and be well versed in methods and instrumentation used for isolation, characterization, and release testing of nucleic acids. This is a part time hands-on “at the bench” role focusing on development projects and cross-functional communication that requires designing and conducting laboratory experiments, sample handling, data acquisition, data interpretation, data reporting and verification and validation/documentation. Having in depth knowledge in developing sample extraction reagents and sample extraction processes for both manual and automation will be helpful.
- Oversees and assists running tests on our Molecular Hamilton based liquid handling system and Thermo Fisher PCR system for various projects.
- Assists in the expanding range of biospecimens applications on our liquid handing system which may also use both manual techniques and a number of other automation platforms and equipment.
- Utilizes molecular biology expertise to advise, develop and implement new protocols, troubleshoot and optimize exiting protocols, with an eye toward quality, throughput, automation feasibility, and process consistency.
- Participates and may lead Design Control activities which can include Change lead and organizing the Change documentation. Author Verification and Validation plans, protocols, and reports as assigned or chosen.
- Critically analyzes complex data using knowledge of the scientific field, interprets and integrate experimental results with project objectives.
- Is responsible for technical leadership from a user perspective running our systems with our reagents and assays.
- Informs on clear product development timelines and prioritize efforts to deliver on commitments
- Cross trains staff in areas of expertise
- Reviews statistical plans and analysis with Stats personnel with confidence
- Collaborates effectively with peers and cross functional teams.
- May write technical and business communications including papers and posters.
- Gives effective internal and external presentations
- Contributes in R&D evaluation of new license and co-development opportunities
Required Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
- Experience with various techniques for sample extraction, and real time PCR including all in between steps with vortexing and centrifugation.
- Familiarly with Liquid handling Robotics (Hamilton MICROLAB STAR preferred but others considered)
- Expertise in operation and use of a wide array of analytical instrumentation
- Experience with nucleic acid extraction from complex biological matrices
- Hands on expertise with technical knowledge with sample extraction automation and PCR testing instruments, including the software to run them.
- Experience authoring Design Control documentation
- Strong organizational skills, orientation to detail, ability to multitask and prioritize effectively
- Critical thinking, highly self-motivated, flexible and adaptable to changing priorities and resources
- Must possess excellent interpersonal skills and have strong oral and written communication abilities to facilitate communication with and support of cross-functional collaborations across diverse research programs
- Ability to work in a fast-paced collaborative environment while maintaining a high level of attention to detail
· Experience with development within regulated environments to support development of IVD –based clinical assays and instruments
Preferred Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience:
- Demonstrated success with developing methods to purify and characterize nucleic acids from blood products, tissue, swabs and other esoteric sample types
· Familiarly with Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS)
- Experience with developing new methods for automation equipment
- Experience identifying and troubleshooting process, material, or equipment problems to minimize down time and recommend solutions.
- Data analysis using JMP software
- SAP usage
- Proven ability to operate and troubleshoot versatile analytical instrumentation
At Siemens Healthineers, we value those who dedicate their energy and passion to a greater cause. Our people make us unique as an employer in the med-tech industry. What unites and motivates our global team is the inspiration of our common purpose: To innovate for healthcare, building on our remarkable legacy of pioneering ideas that translate into even better healthcare products and services. We recognize that taking ownership of our work allows both us and the company to grow. We offer you a flexible and dynamic environment and the space to move beyond your comfort zone to grow both personally and professionally.
If you want to join us in transforming the way healthcare is delivered, visit our career site at https://usa.healthcare.siemens.com/careers.
If you wish to find out more about the specific before applying, please visit: https://usa.healthcare.siemens.com/about.
As an equal-opportunity employer we are happy to consider applications from individuals with disabilities.
Organization: Siemens Healthineers
Company: Siemens Healthcare Diagnostics Inc.
Experience Level: Experienced Professional
Job Type: Full-time
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Siemens is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship status, ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability unrelated to ability, marital status, family responsibilities, pregnancy, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, transgender, sex stereotyping, order of protection status, protected veteran or military status, or an unfavorable discharge from military service, and other categories protected by federal, state or local law.
EEO is the Law
Applicants and employees are protected under Federal law from discrimination. To learn more, Click here.
Pay Transparency Non-Discrimination Provision
Siemens follows Executive Order 11246, including the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision. To learn more, Click here.
California Privacy Notice
California residents have the right to receive additional notices about their personal information. To learn more, click here.