Siemens Industrial Automation Center (SIAC) located in Johnson City, TN, is seeking an experienced Product Safety & Regulatory Engineer. In this role you must have excellent written and verbal communication skills, work collaboratively in team environment, work closely with NRTL’s to secure product approvals in national and international markets, and have ample knowledge of product safety and regulatory standards that supports global market access.
The SIAC Center of Service is an accredited engineering laboratory that provides testing and certification services for industrial automation products to national and international standards.Key Responsibilities:
The Product Safety and Regulatory Engineer is responsible for driving product safety design and certification efforts for industrial automation products that are marketed worldwide to ensure that they meet the relevant safety standards for industrial environments. He/she will partner with development and laboratory engineers, providing mentorship on applicable standards and designing to meet those standards, as well as completing hands-on work performing risk assessments, coordinating third-party evaluations of products, and driving successful closure of any findings resulting in successful product certification. He/she will also play a meaningful role in ensuring that products post-release continue to meet evolving safety standards and regulations, as well as incorporating any learnings from field data into continuous product improvements. The successful candidate will have good solid understanding of national and international standards, coupled with the ability to coordinate and drive efforts to meet those standards, working collaboratively with development and laboratory engineers.Skills
- Provide guidance to project leaders and engineers regarding safety requirements including tests and design constraints to ensure the product satisfies the various national and international safety regulations
- Translate product safety requirements into design requirements for engineers and provide product safety technical mentorship
- Collect and submit the vital design documentation to NRTL’s for evaluation and certification approval required for hazardous locations and explosive atmospheres
- Review engineering change orders on critical-to -safety parts to assess the level of risk and ensure that appropriate verification is completed prior to release
- Provide guidance and direction on maintaining alignment to relevant safety and regulatory standards, including upcoming changes to applicable standards.
- Perform product safety testing, including preparation of test sample(s), execution of the test(s), test reporting and data analysis.
- Review label designs, technical publications, and operating manuals to ensure compliance for the intended operating environment
- Participate in any product safety critical issues and provide mentorship on containment and corrective actions
- Detailed understanding of hazardous location standards and explosive atmosphere standards relevant to open and enclosed equipment
- Ability to interact with all levels of personnel internally and externally
- Able to optimally convey proposed strategies and legal requirements to senior-level management
- BS or MS degree in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or related hardware technical subject area
- 8-10 years direct experience with NRTL’s (UL, FM, DERKA, etc.) approvals
- Certification experience with CE, RCM, KC, EAC, UKCA, CCC and marine societies
- Deep understanding and alignment to practices defined in IEC 61010-1, IEC 60079-0, IEC 60079-7, IEC 60079-15, ANSI/ISA 12.12.01
- Good work-ethic and attention to detail
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Self-motivated and results-oriented with strong problem-solving skills
- Strong quality orientation with the ability to improve existing processes and approaches
- Demonstrates good interpersonal, communication, and collaboration skills. Provides general mentorship and training
- 5% domestic or international travel
At Siemens, we are committed to an ownership culture, in which every employee takes personal responsibility for our company’s success. We utilize lean principles and seek to continually improve our processes and customers’ experience.
We offer flexible vacation time, a matching 401K plan, profit sharing, full health, life, vision and dental benefits.
At Siemens we are always challenging ourselves to build a better future. We need the most innovative and diverse Digital Minds to develop tomorrow‘s reality. Find out more about the Digital world of Siemens here: www.siemens.com/careers/digitalminds
Organization: Digital Industries
Company: Siemens Industry, Inc.
Experience Level: Experienced Professional
Job Type: Full-time
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Siemens is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship status, ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability unrelated to ability, marital status, family responsibilities, pregnancy, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, transgender, sex stereotyping, order of protection status, protected veteran or military status, or an unfavorable discharge from military service, and other categories protected by federal, state or local law.
EEO is the Law
Applicants and employees are protected under Federal law from discrimination. To learn more, Click here.
Pay Transparency Non-Discrimination Provision
Siemens follows Executive Order 11246, including the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision. To learn more, Click here.
California Privacy Notice
California residents have the right to receive additional notices about their personal information. To learn more, click here.