As part of the Civil Engineering team you, as Project Engineer – Civil Engineering, will support the Lead Project Engineering Manager delivering the civil engineering designs on our line-side signalling projects. You will manage information flow and coordinate the work of our site investigation sub-contractors and design sub-consultants to help deliver our projects successfully, and also use your civil engineering innovation to improve how we currently do things.
The Project Engineer – Civil Engineering takes ownership to make sure that engineering development of other project disciplines (mainly Signalling, E&P and Telecoms) is reflected in the civil engineering design deliverables; and likewise any changes to assets driven by civil engineering design is discussed and agreed with the other interfacing engineering disciplines.
The Project Engineer – Civil Engineering will ensure the civil engineering designs are safe and build-able by ensuring input from the CRE Civils Construction has been sought and included from the earliest opportunity and regularly throughout design development stage.
The Project Engineer (Civils) will also act as technical support to the CEM, in particular where the Civils Design CRE(s) sits in an external organisation, protecting Siemens commercial interest in regard to matters of scope setting and ownership of delivery.
What are my responsibilities?
- Support the Project Manager by taking ownership for delivering the civil engineering design on projects to time, cost and quality
- Manage the technical and commercial delivery of our civils design sub-consultants, and sub-contractors
- Contribute to the evaluation and appraisal of tenders received for sub-contracts and sub-consultancy
- Participate in and monitor the planning and progress of civil engineering works in relation to timeline and budget
- Ensure civil engineering designs achieve AFC status to a programme that agrees with the construction strategy, which has been developed and shared by the CRE Civils Construction
- Track our safety responsibilities during design with relation to CDM Regulations (2015) and apply safe by design principles. Manage the handover of design risk to the civil engineering contractor
- Contribute to developing civil engineering implementation strategies for our products and systems
- Promote civil engineering within the business and contribute to the community of Siemens civil engineers who are ICE members or working towards ICE membership
- Develop your professional ability through Continuous Professional Development (CPD), support others in the business to do the same, participate in a culture of learning and improvement
- Demonstrate engineering excellence, through innovative thinking and a willingness to adopt of new processes, tools and methods of working, as part of the Siemens LEAN approach
What do I need to qualify for this role?
We are interested to hear from civil engineers from outside the rail industry and are committed to support and develop the right candidate as necessary to meet the business needs of the Siemens Mobility Limited.
- Civil Engineering Degree or equivalent education basis and experience (essential)
- IEng qualification or working towards CEng professional qualification with ICE (essential)
- Are flexible, know how to connect with others and pride yourself on bringing positive ideas to the team (essential)
- Experience of sourcing, procuring and managing a variety of technical sub-contracts within civil engineering projects (essential)
- Enjoy jumping in and, with support from us, feel comfortable taking responsibility for tasks and projects which you’ve been assigned (essential)
- Have good computer skills, with good understanding of Microsoft Office packages (essential)
- Aspire to succeed by leading others or developing into an engineering specialist (essential)
- Take a pro-active approach to your own learning and development to take advantage of the world class opportunities offered by Siemens (essential)
- A strong commitment to safe working in construction (essential)
- Will have a full UK driving license or be in the process of obtaining it (essential)
- Experience of civil engineering and construction on the railway
- Knowledge of ground investigation methodology and experience managing GI subcontracts
- Knowledge or experience of safe working on the railway
- Awareness of Network Rail standards and design approvals process
- CEng professional qualification with ICE
We’re Siemens. A collection of over 377,000 great minds who are all making the future and you could be one of them. We have offices across the UK, full of talented individual’s helping us to challenge the today and work towards a brighter tomorrow.
Want to join us and be a Future Maker?
We’re excited to hear that you would like to join us here at Siemens. Our people love it here and we want you to be a part of helping us make real, what matters.
We are looking forward to receiving your online application. Please ensure you complete all areas of the application form to the best of your ability to help us review your suitability for the role. We will be in contact as soon as possible with an update on your application.
What else do you need to know?
Our compensation package includes a competitive salary, holiday allowance and pension. We celebrate the fact that our employees are individuals and have different wants and needs. With this in mind, we have a flexible benefits scheme where you can tailor your benefits package to suit you.
If we all thought the same, we would never think of anything new. That’s why we recruit great minds from all walks of life. We recognise that building a diverse workforce is essential to the success of our business, therefore we encourage applications from a diverse talent pool. We are proud to announce that we have partnered with VERCIDA
, the UK's largest diversity and inclusion focused careers site where all our vacancies are in an accessible format. We welcome the opportunity to discuss flexibility requirements with our applicants to encourage agile working and innovation.
Organization: Siemens Mobility
Company: Siemens Mobility Limited
Experience Level: not defined
Job Type: Full-time