Siemens Mobility Limited have an exciting opportunity for an Assistant Project Manager to join our growing Control Systems team within the Rail Infrastructure business in York.
Our Team and what we do:
As market leaders across rail, road and logistics, Siemens Mobility are pursuing the goal of networking various transportation systems with one another to move people and goods efficiently - complete mobility!
Rail Infrastructure offers a wide range of systems for signalling, control, communications and electrification for main line, regional, metro and light rail infrastructure applications. By bringing together the combined expertise of UK and Germany, we offer complete infrastructure solutions tailored for our market. Siemens’ dedicated rail infrastructure team is fully committed to delivering an efficient, reliable, safe and green railway.
Within the UK, Siemens Mobility are the largest UK supplier of railway signalling electronic control system solutions. Our technology is conceived, designed, developed and manufactured in the UK and incorporates custom hardware platforms that are utilised in a vast variety of products and applications, including our market-leading Siemens Controlguide Westcad VDU Control Centre suite which has the largest install base of any system of its type.
Our team is spread throughout the UK at key sites including York, Chippenham, London, Croydon, Birmingham, Derby, Manchester and Glasgow and consists of specialist turnkey project teams of managers and engineers. Our teams are multiskilled and cover a variety of work including project management and delivery, software design, control systems design, installation and test and commissioning. Our expansion is being driven by customer demand for our cutting-edge advanced route setting systems that resolve train conflicts and delays far in advance to allow corrective action to be undertaken in a controlled and planned manner. The product is a game changer in the signalling control area and totally outperforms the conventional reactive systems currently on the market.
Key recent competitive control system wins include Tyneside and Merseyrail renewals where Network Rail have selected Siemens as their trusted supplier for these important sites. We have also secured two long term Traffic Management Partnership frameworks (Eastern Region and North West Route) where we will be providing our Traffic Management solution with a direct interface to our signalling level Westcad advance route setting solution. This provides our customer Network Rail with integrated control levels and exceptional flexibility to manage their train service and minimise delay.
All are welcome to apply for our new positions. We will provide the required mentoring and training and accept enquiries from external industries and mature railway staff who would like to join the UK number one supplier and be part of our new game changing technology rollout.
Your role, and what you’ll be doing:
This is a dynamic, customer facing role where you will assist in the delivery of a portfolio of railway control systems projects. Your focus will be on supporting the implementation of new technology contracts to a range of client bases.
As an Assistant Project Manager, you will support the Project Manager in the planning and implementation of projects delivering a technical solution which meets the customers’ needs and complies with industry specifications. This role demands good communication and interpersonal skills as you will support in the collaboration with teams across the business to understand and deliver solutions to the customer. This involvement will be across project Application Engineering, Installation and Testing and Commissioning activities and assistance in the delivery of all systems designed to meet the needs of the contract on time and within budget.
What will be Responsibilities?
- Support in the safe and timely delivery of a portfolio of projects in the York / Eastern and Scotland regions, to the ‘as sold’ specification. Assist in the day to day delivery of project objectives within the agreed timescales and budget, ensuring that the Project Management processes and Business Management System are applied throughout the project lifecycle.
- Support the Project Manager in their role as Safety Leader for the portfolio of projects that they have safety responsibility for, inclusive of supporting implementation of Zero Harm, Fatigue Management and the Four Steps.
- Assist in the development and maintenance of effective working relationships with the Client throughout the project lifecycle, and with the project team(s). Lead day to day communication between the project team and the clients (and Alliance partners, if applicable).
- Support the Project Manager in their work with the Sales and Marketing Team and, as required, provide assistance in the preparation of SRI Tenders.
- Monitor progress against the project programme, and budget, and assist the Project Manager in identifying and mitigating adverse trends through effective corrective management action.
- Monitor and report project progress and status throughout the project lifecycle ensuring timely and accurate reports are prepared as required by the Client / Alliance and SRI in accordance with the Project Reporting and Review Process.
- Interface with functional line management to define and mobilise the vital resources required for the execution of the project, where necessary, thereafter leading and coordinating the activities of the project team.
- Assist in the implementation of effective Safety and Environmental management of the project ensuring that each of the project delivery functions has systems in place to cover their safety responsibilities. Assist the PM in regular audit undertaking, to ensure that the systems are in use and are effective.
- Work with the Project Manager, Senior Project Manager and Director, Control Systems to manage and control the commercial aspects of the contract.
What Qualifications, Skills and Experience do I need?
- Project Management experience at a similar level, ideally within UK Railway Signalling/Control System projects.
- Previous experience of management of capital investment projects involving a high degree of Client interface
- Project Management skills – understanding of the hard and soft aspects of programme management.
- Member of or working towards membership of a professional institution.
- Management of Project Control function covering Planning, Estimating, Financial Control and commercial management disciplines
- Strong management skills & ability in terms of, written & verbal communication; presentation skills; problem identification, categorisation and solving; people skills; customer management; negotiation skills and change management.
- Possess high degree of emotional intelligence and the ability to build consensus
- Technical & engineering skills, qualifications & experience
- Leadership and motivational skills.
- Commercial aptitude & awareness
We’re Siemens. A collection of over 377,000 great minds who are all making the future and you could be one of them. We have offices across the UK, full of hardworking individuals helping us to challenge the today and work towards a brighter tomorrow.
Want to join us and be a Future Maker?
We’re excited to hear that you would like to join us here at Siemens. Our people love it here, and we want you to be a part of helping us make real, what matters.
We are looking forward to receiving your online application. Please ensure you complete all areas, of the application form, to the best of your ability to help us review your suitability for the role. We will be in contact as soon as possible with an update on your application.
What else do you need to know?
Our compensation package includes a competitive salary, holiday allowance, pension and other additional benefits. We celebrate the fact that our employees are individuals and have different wants and needs. With this in mind, we have a flexible benefits scheme where you can tailor your benefits package to suit you.
If we all thought the same, we would never think of anything new. That’s why we recruit great minds from all walks of life. We recognise that building a diverse workforce is essential to the success of our business, therefore we encourage applications from a diverse talent pool. We are proud to announce that we have partnered with VERCIDA, the UK's largest diversity and inclusion focused careers site where all our vacancies are in an accessible format. We welcome the opportunity to discuss flexibility requirements with our applicants to encourage agile working and innovation.
Organization: Siemens Mobility
Company: Siemens Mobility Limited
Experience Level: not defined
Job Type: Full-time