Siemens Mobility Limited have an exciting opportunity for a Bid Manager / Estimator to join our Rail Infrastructure, Electrification team in Coventry.Our Team and what we do:
As market leaders across rail, road and logistics, Siemens Mobility are pursuing the goal of networking various transportation systems with one another to move people and goods efficiently - complete mobility!
Rail Infrastructure offers a wide range of systems for signalling, control, communications and electrification for main line, regional, metro and light rail infrastructure applications. By bringing together the combined expertise of UK and Germany, we offer complete infrastructure solutions tailored for our market. Siemens’ dedicated rail infrastructure team is committed to delivering an efficient, reliable, safe and green railway.
The Rail Electrification business designs, supplies, installs, tests and commissions switchgear equipment as well as the SCADA control system alongside other project engineering solutions to rail industry operators and suppliers worldwide. This includes the ASG 25 Air insulated Switchgear, which is designed, manufactured, built & tested in the UK. We have earned a respected reputation in the industry which has developed from our success in delivering to our customers. In addition, we are leading the way within the railway industry in developing the next generation of rail technology such as the Static Var Compensator & Static Frequency Converter, so this is a great time to join the business in the development of a new, exciting technology.Your role, and what you’ll be doing:
This is a role where you will take ownership for Rail Electrification bid preparation, working in partnership with our multi-skilled, multi-disciplinary teams from the earliest stages of the bid process, through bid compilation, settlement, submission, post tender negotiation and to contract handover.
As a Bid Manager / Estimator, you will compile and deliver the bid price, working alongside planners, designers, commercial specialists and delivery staff to build a compelling and economic proposal which enhances our reputation and delivers profitable work. The role requires good communication and interpersonal skills as you will work with a range of disciplines across the business to understand and deliver solutions to the customer.
You will be working on bids for projects to design, manufacture, deliver, fit-out, and test traction power equipment, and, traction power or distribution substations at 650V DC / 25kV AC, 33kV AC on the UK rail network.
What are my Responsibilities?
- Take ownership of the pricing of the bid in a MS Excel template.
- With the Tendering Manager or Senior Bid Manager, develop pricing strategies which increase competitiveness of the bid, according to award criteria, whilst maximizing commercial position.
- On smaller value / framework bids, act also as Bid Manager in preparation of all tender deliverables.
- Create subcontract/supplier enquiries to allow and encourage ease of pricing and then input into the cost model.
- Under the management of a Senior Bid Manger / Project Technical Manager, acquire inputs from subject matter experts for inclusion in cost models.
- Collate resource/ materials/ 3rd party estimates and add commercial elements including escalation, risk and margin.
- Produce / populate customer specific pricing documentation.
- Attend bid meetings both internal and client based. Work closely with internal and external stakeholders to establish the best value for money proposals.
- Create reports for presentation / reviews / governance fulfillment.
- Attend training courses to expand knowledge in railway technology/estimating.
- Analyse current and historical data to benchmark costs and competitiveness.
What Skills, Qualification and Experience do I need?
We are looking for a confident and numerate candidate with an understanding of the tendering process and ideally with technical knowledge of rail electrification.
- Previous experience within a project related engineering environment.
- A degree or HND in an engineering or business-related discipline, or, wide construction experience in rail power supply.
- Experience of tendering and/or project work within the rail or electrical engineering sector will be an advantage.
- Understanding of clients pricing schedules and how these are split into labour, plant and materials.
- Familiar with how to develop cost rates from first principles.
- Strong computing skills primarily with MS Office packages.
- Able to read and interpret specifications and drawings to identify scope and quantity of works.
- Able to split work content into packages for supply chain pricing with interfaces and package boundaries clearly defined.
- 26 days holiday, growing to 29 days with length of service
- Excellent pension, with Siemens matching contributions up to 10% of pensionable salary
- Flexible benefits to suit your personal needs
- Flexible working policy
- Investment in personal development and support to membership of professional institutions
We’re Siemens. A collection of over 377,000 great minds who are all making the future and you could be one of them. We have offices across the UK, full of hardworking individuals helping us to challenge the today and work towards a brighter tomorrow.
Want to join us and be a Future Maker?
We’re excited to hear that you would like to join Siemens. Our people love it here, and we want you to be a part of helping us make real, what matters.
We are looking forward to receiving your online application. Please ensure you complete all areas, of the application form, to the best of your ability to help us review your suitability for the role. We will be in contact as soon as possible with an update on your application.
What else do you need to know?
Our compensation package includes a competitive salary, holiday allowance, pension and other additional benefits. We celebrate the fact that our employees are individuals and have different wants and needs. With this in mind, we have a flexible benefits scheme where you can tailor your benefits package to suit you.
If we all thought the same, we would never think of anything new. That’s why we recruit great minds from all walks of life. We recognise that building a diverse workforce is essential to the success of our business, therefore we encourage applications from a diverse talent pool. We are proud to announce that we have partnered with VERCIDA, the UK's largest diversity and inclusion focused careers site where all our vacancies are in an accessible format. We encourage the opportunity to discuss flexibility requirements with our applicants to encourage agile working and innovation.
Organization: Siemens Mobility
Company: Siemens Mobility Limited
Experience Level: not defined
Job Type: Full-time