Companies don’t move the world forward, people do. Help us lead the way to a smarter future!
This is a Senior Legal Counsel role within the Legal organization of Siemens U.S.A., reporting to the U.S. General Counsel. It is an individual contributor role with high visibility and will work closely with the Export Control organization, which is organized under the Compliance organization, and the Legal organization. In this role you will focus on Siemens’ commitment to compliance with trade and export controls laws and regulations subject to the jurisdiction of United States and supports in providing legal guidance on export control developments and issues, helping ensure the advancement and implementation of export controls and sanctions compliance strategies through engagement and collaboration with key business partners and providing advice with respect to government engagement.
This role requires a deep and thorough understanding of export controls laws and regulations, including but not limited to the Export Administration Regulations, International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) regulations, and U.S. Department of the Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) sanctions; an ability to provide pragmatic, sound, and consistent analysis in a fast-paced business environment; a consistent track record of cross-collaboration across organizational lines and international borders; a strong commitment to integrity; and a solution-driven approach with a strong business partner mindset.
A remote work location on the East Coast or Central Time zone will be considered. No relocation assistance will be offered.What are your responsibilities?
- Provide legal advice to business operations and other key stakeholders on a broad range of export-related regulatory, commercial, and trade-related matters.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to support, further develop, and implement Siemens’ export and sanctions compliance programs in compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
- Support Export Control on matters relating to deemed export, and support with deemed export licensing.
- Provide legal advice on export controls, sanctions and antiboycott issues to Legal and Compliance and senior business leaders.
- Advocate before US government agencies on export controls, sanctions, antiboycott and provide advice to U.S. Government Affairs on draft legislation that will impact Siemens operations.
- Support Export Control team in the enforcement of a governance framework, including early detection and testing/monitoring plans to ensure operations remain in compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
- Provide direct support to the U.S. General Counsel in assessing export and sanctions legal and regulatory impacts to Siemens across the operations.
- Support Export Control with legal assessments of classification determinations, export license applications, advisory opinion, and ensure Legal oversight of any disclosures or government inquiry responses.
- Collaborating with businesses and key partners to develop and implement end-to-end export-compliance operational architectures.
- Monitor legal and regulatory developments and align with Export Control to ensure clear communication to senior leadership and stakeholders.
- Collaborate with Export Controls to ensure ongoing and relevant monitoring of export control and sanctions compliance risks are assessed to identify potential areas of improvement and developing/implementing mitigation strategies, such as customized compliance programs, policies, processes, and other corrective actions.
- Supporting the development, update, and deployment of export controls and sanctions training programs and materials
- Proactively identify and assess potential risks, and work with legal, policy, and operational teams to develop risk mitigation approaches and drive cross-functional implementation.
- Provide trade compliance audit assistance and representation before trade enforcement authorities around the world.
- Operate independently, and be confident managing multiple internal stakeholders, balancing differing opinions and perspectives, and weighing risk to provide effective policy advice to leadership.
- A law degree from a U.S. law school and be an active member in good standing with a state bar association that will be their principal work location is required.
- A minimum of 10+ years legal experience working as an attorney on trade matters in a government agency, law firm, or in-house legal department in an international environment, with an emphasis on export controls, including the U.S. Export Administration Regulations (EAR), ITAR, and OFAC regulations.
- Proven experience in safeguarding export control compliance, including translation of export control and sanctions legal requirements into business practice, working with U.S. agencies, conducting internal risk assessments, developing mitigation strategies, and providing trainings to the organization.
- Successful candidate must be a U.S. Citizen to meet federal government security requirements.
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills, strong executive presence, and ability to work across organizational lines and time zones around the world.
- Experience with cutting-edge technologies, including subject areas such as digital and telecommunications, artificial intelligence, and software is preferred.
- Deep familiarity with what it takes to develop, implement, or enforce an export control program.
- Knowledge and experience in other international trade areas (e.g., imports, economic sanctions).
- A mix of corporate law firm and in-house or government agency experience is a plus.
- Experience advocating for and influencing export control reform and other changes in export policy.
- Demonstrated success in working across organizational boundaries, as well as working in a global organization across various cultures and departments.
- Competitive compensation (salary and bonus) based on qualifications
- Medical, dental, prescription and vision coverage, first day of employment
- Matching 401(k) (immediate employer match)
- Competitive paid time off plan, paid holidays, and floating holidays
- Career development opportunities
- Flexibility to work remote
- Paid parental leave
Organization: Legal and Compliance
Company: Siemens Corporation
Experience Level: Experienced Professional
Job Type: Full-time
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Siemens is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship status, ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability unrelated to ability, marital status, family responsibilities, pregnancy, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, transgender, sex stereotyping, order of protection status, protected veteran or military status, or an unfavorable discharge from military service, and other categories protected by federal, state or local law.
EEO is the Law
Applicants and employees are protected under Federal law from discrimination. To learn more, Click here.
Pay Transparency Non-Discrimination Provision
Siemens follows Executive Order 11246, including the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision. To learn more, Click here.
California Privacy Notice
California residents have the right to receive additional notices about their personal information. To learn more, click here.