Applies technical communication or instructional design specialization to design and develop information solutions that assist global customers and support their learning needs. Solves complex problems related to user-assistance, training, and product use. Conducts audience and task analyses. Uses independent judgment to plan, design, and develop user-assistance deliverables. Engages in strategic problem-solving, projects, and programs.
The Information Developer is a member of a Feature Team in an Agile environment following Scrum and related practices. The developer must be comfortable working in a fast-paced environment that requires cooperation, collaboration, and shared responsibility across Feature Teams, Scrum Masters, and Product Owners. This position is located in Penang, Malaysia and reports to the local Development Manager. This is a non-Manager position.
Two to five years’ experience developing software documentation (preferably in an R&D department in a software development company)
- Writing procedural documentation
- Analyzing and testing software for correct operation and design (including logging bugs and evidence gathering)
- Producing online documentation such as online help and PDFs required
- Customizing and manipulating CSS and XML for output generation
- Using a tool such as Madcap Flare or Adobe RoboHelp to produce documentation
- Experience in an Agile environment and knowledge of Scrum best practices
- With MES, PLM, Supply Chain, or related industry desired
- Ability to:
- Write documentation from functional specifications, high-level designs, and information gathered from knowledge transfer sessions with colleagues
- Write in a formal technical writing style (for example, active voice, implied you, consistent tense, etc.)
- Understand and adhere to standards
- Present ideas in a logical order
- Edit documentation for accuracy and adherence to company and industry standards
- Work on multiple projects simultaneously
- Help estimate project length
- Excellent PC skills including experience with Windows 10, Windows Server, SQL Server, Oracle, Java, Microsoft Visual Studio programming languages, Internet applications, cloud, etc.
- Excellent writing, communication, and analytical skills
- Applies results of audience and user task analyses to designs for user-assistance and training content meaningful to the customer experience.
- Creates user-focused content, including online assistance, printed manuals, tutorials, self-paced training courses, instructor-led training materials, projects, workshops, graphics, and multimedia. Researches new DF products and/or changes to existing products to determine the customer impact.
- As a subject matter expert, generates realistic examples, activities, tutorials, models and data for use in user assistance. Supports peers with less product or subject matter expertise.
- Learns the products, conducts research, defines content and scope, plans, develops, and maintains new and existing information solutions for end-users, installers, administrators, and implementers of Siemens DF products.
- Defines and implements process methodology, quality, and standards.
- Expands technical expertise and broadens abilities to perform multiple roles within the organization.
- Identifies intra- and inter-organization problems and makes recommendations for solutions.
- Understands and successfully uses complex xml development tools and environment to create end-user products. Comprehends and manages complex dependencies and relationships between content objects to create and maintain information that is reused across multiple deliverables (such as documentation and courseware), across various types of media (html, pdf), and across multiple releases and products.
- Becomes increasingly competent in many aspects of information development including product knowledge and application, research, user studies, information or instructional design, information mapping, media selection, graphics and multimedia development, content authoring, content reuse, testing and implementation.
A Bachelor’s degree (or international graduate of a university level program) in a related field or in a technical field. Typically, at least 5 years of related experience in technical communication, instructional design, engineering, computer science, or related field. Experience in Siemens Digital Manufacturing (DM) customer industries or implementations preferred.
Organization: Digital Industries
Company: Siemens Industry Software Sdn. Bhd.
Experience Level: Experienced Professional
Job Type: Full-time