Environment, Health and Safety (EHS) Specialist
Siemens Industry Inc. is seeking an experienced professional to lead EHS activities for multiple Business Units in the Phoenix, Arizona area.
- The EHS Specialist will provide EHS services for Siemens Industry Inc. for construction project by in Phoenix, Arizona.
- The EHS Specialist will provide EHS services for Siemens Industry Inc. project sites involving substation new construction and maintenance/commissioning of existing substation equipment such as switchgear (air insulated metal-enclosed and metal-clad switchgear as well as gas insulated switchgear), circuit breakers, motor controls, and controls and protective relay systems. The position will support business units headquartered in a manufacturing location in Wendell, North Carolina and field projects located throughout the United States.
- The EHS Specialist efforts are to prevent work-related injuries and illnesses, protect the environment, assure compliance with EHS laws and regulations, manage EHS risks, prepare the site and project sites for dealing with emergencies, promote wellness programs, and promote Siemens’ Zero Harm Culture.
- The position reports to the Director of Siemens SI DS EHS Management and Standards located in Wendell, NC with dotted line responsibility to the Siemens Industry Inc. and SI US Products EHS Director.
- Advocate for a Zero Harm safety culture that protects the safety of Siemens’ employees, subcontractors, and customers
- Develop site specific safety plans for electrical substation construction projects
- Work with business location to develop specific job safety analyses (JSA) for higher-risk work.
- Regularly conduct safety training for Siemens employees and maintain employee safety training database
- Evaluate safety programs of subcontractors to meet or exceed Siemens standards
- Maintain and enhance safe work standards and practices
- Regularly conduct site safety assessments/audits including tracking and reporting corrective action status in the field and be a visible presence advocating for the safety of Siemens field-based engineering, project managers, site managers, commissioning, operations, and maintenance personnel
- Maintain EHS regulatory compliance activities, including preparing and submitting EHS regulatory reports and interfacing with regulatory agency personnel
- Manage worker’s compensation claims and return-to-work program
- Provide technical guidance to employees regarding environmental, health and safety related issues or concerns, and regulatory compliance
- Tracking occupational safety / environmental related Federal, State, and Local regulatory changes and impacting the business, both from a facility and customer relations standpoint, and communicating those to management. When necessary, coordinating business response and or comments to regulatory changes.
- Improving employee and management EHS awareness.
- Participating in audit activities including identification of EHS issues and implementation of corrective actions.
- Conducting and managing EHS incident investigations, including tracking and record-keeping requirements, insure thorough investigation of serious incidents.
- Interacting with Siemens legal on any EHS activities with regulatory agencies, employees, and outside legal counsel on behalf of business when required.
- Demonstrating operational knowledge of facilities and field work.
- Collaborate with Director SI DS EHS who will provide direct support.
- Assisting Regional Country United States EHS Corporate EHS professionals as required.
- Performs Sub-Contractor EHS Assessments and conducts onsite Project EHS Assessments
- Conducts random EHS verification and compliance audits during unannounced site visits and manages findings
- Audits and inspects work environments and provides report of findings in coordination and guidance of the SI DS EHS Director for follow-up
Required Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
- BS/BA in related discipline, or advanced degree, where required, or equivalent combination of education and experience
- 8+ years’ experience in a technical EHS role focusing on Safety AND Environmental Compliance
- Experience with ISO14001 and ISO18001 highly preferred
- Experience with high-risk operations
- Working knowledge of EPA and OSHA regulations and industry EHS standards
- Demonstrated ability to recognize, evaluate, and recommend controls for workplace hazards
- Demonstrated experience working on cross-functional teams and leading EHS targets and objectives
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and analytical skills
- Effective critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Strong writing capabilities, especially with writing clear, concise EHS procedures
- Proficient in MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Access)
- Ability to manage multiple projects/tasks for different business units and work independently with minimal supervision.
- Must be able to interface with all levels of the organization
- Travel up to 35% as required
Preferred Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
- Certified Safety Professional (CSP) certification, Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH), Certified Hazardous Material Manager(CHMM) certification , or equivalent
- Experience working with ISO 14001, ISO 45001, and OHSAS 18001 Management System Standards
- Ability to influence, negotiate, and persuade employees at all levels
At Siemens, we are committed to an ownership culture, in which every employee takes personal responsibility for our company’s success. We utilize lean principles and seek to continually improve our processes and customers’ experience.
Can you see yourself, learning, growing, and succeeding here? If so we'd like to meet you!
We offer flexible vacation time, a matching 401K plan, profit sharing, full health, life, vision and dental benefits.
Organization: Smart Infrastructure
Company: Siemens Industry, Inc.
Experience Level: Experienced Professional
Job Type: Full-time
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Siemens is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship status, ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability unrelated to ability, marital status, family responsibilities, pregnancy, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, transgender, sex stereotyping, order of protection status, protected veteran or military status, or an unfavorable discharge from military service, and other categories protected by federal, state or local law.
EEO is the Law
Applicants and employees are protected under Federal law from discrimination. To learn more, Click here.
Pay Transparency Non-Discrimination Provision
Siemens follows Executive Order 11246, including the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision. To learn more, Click here.
California Privacy Notice
California residents have the right to receive additional notices about their personal information. To learn more, click here.