Lead Developer – R&D
Our team and what we do:
Our products and services touch many aspects of everyday mobility including the future of Autonomous Connected Vehicles, Clean Air Zones, Speed and Bus Lane Enforcement, Congestion Charging, and Electric Vehicle Charging. If you drove or took public transport today, you almost certainly interacted with what we do every day to keep our roads safe and running freely.
The developers in our R&D team are responsible for the creation of innovative mobility solutions in the United Kingdom and Worldwide, working independently and as part of larger teams. The systems deployed typically utilise core sub-systems and products from the Traffic Solutions product portfolio with configuration and project specific developments.
Based in Poole, Dorset, the Lead Developer will be responsible for leading a development team providing, new and upgraded solutions to customer specifications, and 3rd line support for already operational systems. This can involve co-ordinating and disseminating information relating to areas outside of normal software development, such as hardware, networks etc.
The successful candidate will be a motivated, autonomous innovator who has a passion for delivering change and improving the status quo.
There will be a requirement to visit the Poole site as required.
Is Siemens the place to enjoy your next success?
- You have a very strong coding background and can demonstrate strong competency in modern object orientated design. We use a broad set of languages and you will need a solid grounding in either java or Microsoft coding. You will have the opportunity to work through the full development stack but as the lead you will be expected to support the team in understanding some legacy code patterns and extensions.
- You are comfortable working in and managing fully agile or ‘mixed mode’ development teams.
- Exposure to any of our currently used tools such as GitLab, Jira, Confluence and Docker would be beneficial.
- You have a strong desire to understand relevant related technical design and implementation information, at a solution level not just at the software level, incorporating this into an overall understanding of the full project and operational delivery.
- You see technical setbacks as a challenge to overcome and use them to improve your own knowledge and experience.
- You can demonstrate experience of successfully delivering projects within time, quality and budget constraints.
- You are an effective communicator able to describe technical solutions to all stakeholders to achieve the desired result, with strong oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to foresee, identify and understand problems, using logical and structured methodology to create solutions and escalate where necessary
In your role, what can you expect?
You will lead a team of multi-disciplined engineers responsible for a the development and ongoing support of the worlds largest ANPR based low emission zone, this is a critical enforcement solution within our portfolio so you can expect to represent the team to Senior Management stakeholders. You will have a project manager and a fulltime support manager to assist with delivery and operational issues, but you will be able to demonstrate confident stakeholder management directly to the customer, complementing these roles.
Candidates should hold a BSc in a related STEM discipline or be able to demonstrate experience in a similar professional role. It is desirable that candidates are working towards additional domain knowledge accreditations (which will be supported by Siemens).
As a department, our projects are at the forefront of road network technologies, including clean air and low emission zone monitoring / enforcement, V2X which further integrates on-street equipment, signage and information available to the driver in the car - all to improve safety and minimising journey times.
We’re Siemens. A collection of over 381,000 great minds who are all making the future and you could be one of them. We have offices across the UK, full of talented individual’s helping us to challenge the today and work towards a brighter tomorrow.
Want to join us and be a Future Maker?
We’re excited to hear that you would like to join us here at Siemens. Our people love it here and we want you to be a part of helping us make real, what matters.
We are looking forward to receiving your online application. Please ensure you complete all areas, of the application form, to the best of your ability to help us review your suitability for the role. We will be in contact as soon as possible with an update on your application.
What else do I need to know?
Our compensation package includes a competitive salary, holiday allowance and pension. We celebrate the fact that our employees are individuals and have different wants and needs. With this in mind, we have a flexible benefits scheme where you can tailor your benefits package to suit you.
If we all thought the same, we would never think of anything new. That’s why we recruit great minds from all walks of life. We recognise that building a diverse workforce is essential to the success of our business, therefore we encourage applications from a diverse talent pool. We are proud to announce that we have partnered with VERCIDA, the UK's largest diversity and inclusion focused careers site where all our vacancies are in an accessible format. We welcome the opportunity to discuss flexibility requirements with our applicants to encourage agile working and innovation.
Organization: Siemens Mobility
Company: Siemens Mobility Limited
Experience Level: not defined
Job Type: Full-time