Research engineer - Graph Algorithms
The Systems Engineering research team in Leuven is looking for a researcher who can further support the technical roadmap on machine learning and reasoning involving graph algorithms. This work will be performed in the context of generative engineering: the computer-assisted early design and decision process leading to relevant mechatronic system designs.
The position is embedded in a multidisciplinary research team, which combines expertise in artificial intelligence, multi-physics simulation, systems engineering, and formal methods. The candidate will be responsible for the definition and execution of collaborative research projects that focus on graph techniques (learning and reasoning). These techniques will be used to address aspects like knowledge representation, design pattern recognition, machine learning for system architectures, and intelligent information storage.
The research associated with this position balances between state-of-the-art (often premature) methods and immanent industrial needs. At the same time, it requires both understanding domain-specific solutions as well as abstraction and generalization. In this challenging setup, the candidate will support the tooling roadmap of the team, both conceptually and through scripting and dedicated implementation. She/he will interface with other tools in the Simcenter system simulation portfolio for performance evaluation. Finally, this position involves strong interaction with internal and external research partners, in international academia and industry.
The research position is for 1 year with the potential to extend.
Tasks & responsibilities:
- Keeping track of and developing new graph-based solutions (in knowledge representation & reasoning and machine learning) that are relevant for software tooling for early system design
- Problem specification, solution definition and implementation from high-level problem encoding to low-level solving (incl. interfacing with standard libraries and application-agnostic tools)
- Assisting the integration of proof-of-concept tools into the generative engineering tool, for validation
- Close interaction with other team members on activities on generative engineering and systems engineering
- Collaboration with universities and research centres to keep track of fundamental solvers and interface with engineering methods
- Definition and implementation of industrial use cases, for demonstration purposes
- Project proposal writing, project execution and follow-up
- Scientific paper writing and presentation at international conferences
- MSc in computer science, physics, mathematics, or related. Having a PhD degree in one of these domains is considered a strong asset
or more years of experience with graph algorithms:
- Knowledge representation and reasoning: knowledge graphs, Resource Description Framework (RDF), other graph-based representations; relevant related graph algorithms (e.g., isomorphism checking, symmetry checking). Experience with automated reasoning (incl. SAT, SMT, etc.) and propositional/first-order logics is considered a plus.
- Machine learning methods for graphs: graph neural networks, graph convolutional networks, graph embeddings, general clustering/classification methods for graphs.
- Experience with graph databases is considered a plus
- Practical experience with optimization
- Excellent programming skills (e.g., Python, C++)
- Interest in the automotive sector and/or aerospace sector
- Dedicated and creative mindset for solving complex problems, good communication skills
- Fluent in English
About the company:
Siemens Industry Software NV (SISW) is an engineering innovation company, with proven track record in the area of experimental, numerical and hybrid (mixed experimental-numerical) system modelling for noise, vibration, durability and dynamics, performing substantial in-house research on advanced methods and applications. SISW is part of the Siemens Digital Industries Software, a leading global provider of product lifecycle management (PLM) software and services with seven million licensed seats and more than 71,000 customers worldwide. Headquartered in Plano, Texas, Siemens Digital Industries Software collaborates with companies to deliver open solutions, helping them making smarter decisions that result in better products. For more information on Siemens Digital Industries Software products and services, visit https://www.sw.siemens.com.
Organization: Digital Industries
Company: Siemens Industry Software NV
Experience Level: Experienced Professional
Job Type: Full-time