We are seeking someone to build up and lead the research group “Sustainable Buildings and Grids" within our central research and development unit, Siemens Technology (T). Think of this role as someone who will lead their own small start-up focused on building a portfolio, aligning to Siemens business units and evolving the team’s capabilities to execute as the portfolio takes shape – on time and within budget!
This research group will provide pre-development services and internal consulting in the sustainable design and operation of building and grid infrastructure. It is the combination of behind-the-meter innovation with the challenges to operate grids with increasing share of decentral renewable generation, eCar charging stations, electric heating and cooling that provides new opportunities and challenges. The task of the new research group will be to initiate corresponding product- and service developments in cooperation with research labs and the business units. A particular emphasis will be on sustainability as decarbonization and circular economy gain importance and are an increasingly relevant driver for innovation. The team itself is embedded into the Siemens Campus in Princeton where the majority of Siemens US’ central Technology (T) organization is located. The group also collaborates strongly with other T teams in the US and globally and it is part of the Technology Field Energy Systems.
Be a dynamic leader who is technically sound and demonstrates leadership qualities to plan and execute against business objectives while evolving the capability of the team.
- Acquire and handle > $4 million budget for the research group
- Attract and lead up to 10 researchers. Experience in disciplinary and technical leadership/mentoring of Research Group staff
- Mentor and develop group members to grow in their career path and evolve their capabilities! (This is a big one).
- Define and lead execution of the Research Group’s business strategy including target definitions, growth areas and business plans in line with Siemens Company Core Technologies (CCTs)
- Contribute to the Technology Field´s strategy and roadmap, and align globally to ensure implementation and execution.
- Build Siemens-internal network to acquire projects that convert research results into business impact; maintain relationships to the business units within Siemens.
- Develop and maintain relationships with key universities and institutes to expand technology portfolio and jointly pursue public funding opportunities.
- Closely interact with Principals, R&D heads and Technology Field heads.
- Assist developing brand recognition externally by networking with industry experts, attending conferences and partnering with universities.
- Collaborate with T Research Groups to build larger products and integrate into comprehensive solutions.
- Participate and lead projects with Siemens businesses, including research & development as well as technical consulting.
- Collaborate with experts and peers to secure government grants in relevant domains.
Qualified candidates will have:
- Master's degree in relevant engineering and computer science fields required. PhD preferred.
- 5+ years of experience as researcher and engineer in the areas of building and grid design and operation with a consistent track record in academia, industry or military/government required.
- 3+ years of supervisory experience or program/project management engagement leading teams in an R&D environment required.
- Software Engineering background preferred.
- Established networks within US academia/research institutions required.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication (verbal & written) skills in English required. Capable of presenting complex technical topics in a clear and structured way, ability to moderate discussions, meetings, and projects. Proficiency in German is a plus.
- Flexibility and adaptability to work in a growing, dynamic, interdisciplinary team of experts with a strong customer service orientation required.
- The ability to travel 30% of the time (domestic/international).
Successful candidate must be able to work with controlled technology in accordance with US Export Control Law. US Export Control laws and applicable regulations govern the distribution of strategically important technology, services and information to foreign nationals and foreign countries. Siemens may require candidates under consideration for employment opportunities to submit information regarding citizenship status to allow the organization to comply with specific US Export Control laws and regulations. Additional information on the US Export Control laws & regulations can be found on http://www.bis.doc.gov/index.php/policy-guidance/deemed-exports/deemed-exports-faqs?view=category&id=33#subcat34
About Us Siemens Technology employees are passionate about applied research. We create technology with purpose that benefits society - more agile and productive factories, more intelligent and efficient buildings and grids, more reliable and sustainable transportation. Our work powers Siemens products and is regularly featured in patents and publications. We operate in a global ecosystem focused on innovation, partnering with our businesses, government agencies, and leading academic institutions on highly visible projects where collaboration is key. Our people continuously develop their talents, are curious, and are not afraid to take risks in pursuit of technological innovation. A strong learning culture empowers employees at Siemens Technology to own their growth and development. We know that diversity fuels innovation and drives business success. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment, where diversity of thought, culture, and experience is seen as our greatest strength. This is what brings our best ideas to life. We take pride in bringing our best selves to work every day, prioritizing individual health, work-life blend, and flexibility. At Siemens Technology, the success of our employees drives our success.
We are more than employees; we are actively helping to make people’s lives a little better every day. Would you like to be a part of that? Then join us. We offer you a high level of practical relevance as well as an opportunity to individually contribute your knowledge and your visions around the world. Whether you’re helping to develop products for the operating units or working in interdisciplinary projects for the business areas: At Technology you’ll be working in the heart of Siemens’ technological research together with the best.
Company: Siemens Corporation
Experience Level: Experienced Professional
Job Type: Full-time
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Siemens is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship status, ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability unrelated to ability, marital status, family responsibilities, pregnancy, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, transgender, sex stereotyping, order of protection status, protected veteran or military status, or an unfavorable discharge from military service, and other categories protected by federal, state or local law.
EEO is the Law
Applicants and employees are protected under Federal law from discrimination. To learn more, Click here.
Pay Transparency Non-Discrimination Provision
Siemens follows Executive Order 11246, including the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision. To learn more, Click here.
California Privacy Notice
California residents have the right to receive additional notices about their personal information. To learn more, click here.