A great opportunity has arisen for a Traction & Rolling Stock Installation Design and Product Design Engineer to join our Project Engineering team within the Siemens Mobility Limited, Rail Infrastructure, Mobile Communications business. The role will be embedded with the ETCS On-Board Projects team based at Derby, a centre of excellence for on-board installation design.Our Team and what we do:
The Mobile Communications business in Poole supplies on-board communications equipment to rail industry operators and suppliers worldwide. This includes the GSM-R cab radio with GPS and LTE connectivity and the GSM-R data radio. In addition, we are leading the way within the railway industry in developing the next generation of rail communications (Future Railway Mobile Communication System), based on 4G and 5G technology. The ETCS On-Board Projects team delivers solutions to retrofit ETCS solutions onto existing traction and rolling stock.Your role, and what you’ll be doing:
The Installation/Product Design Engineer will have an area of specialism and a wide knowledge of our industry, especially in regard to retrofitting train cab radio and control systems. They will ensure the installation design engineering requirements on the project are accurately captured and delivered to industry standards.
Whilst reporting to the Project Engineering team and primarily carrying out mechanical and installation design for on-board communication products, integration with the ETCS On-board Design team ensures support and growth in your skills and knowledge, with your ability to assist with ETCS on-board design when required. The installation design engineer will also perform the mechanical design work for the development of future Mobile Communications’ products, working in collaboration with the Head of Engineering.Your responsibilities:
- Technical responsibility for delivering installation design elements of a project, tender or work-package item for all stages of a project to industry standards, ensuring all project related installation requirements and constraints are understood and implemented accordingly
- Mechanical design of on-board communication products
- Providing support to the business during the project lifecycle, e.g. bid tendering through to post implementation, accurately estimating cost, resources, timeline and risk for engineering projects and activities, ensuring innovation and value engineering is applied to all proposals
- Anticipating, identifying and resolving sophisticated system installation issues as and when they may arise, including those raised by the customer
- Understanding applicable industry standards and ensuring compliance to those standards in the design, including completion of compliance reports
- Liaison with and supervision of third-party design companies to ensure projects are progressed to an agreed programme
- Represent Siemens at site customer acceptance testing including documenting results
- Responsible for ensuring that all work is conducted safely and to the required standards
- Maintaining and actively developing own professional competence.
- In depth practical knowledge and experience of designing the retro-fitment installation of train systems, in particular GSM-R, ETCS, TPWS, AWS, Wi-Fi, CCTV and DAS
- Ability to understand and capture installation design requirements (specifications, scenarios, rules, etc.) relating to the subsystem
- Experience of leading/participating in vehicle surveys to ensure sufficient information is gathered to facilitate the production of installation designs
- Awareness of depot procedures and site safety
- Produce survey reports, installation instructions, Bills of Material, vehicle maintenance and overhaul instructions and installation risk assessments
- Create 3D CAD models, in particular of the train cab and products, using ideally Solid Edge 3D, otherwise MicroStation or AutoCAD CAD system
- Ability to design equipment mounting brackets/supports and produce manufacturing and assembly drawings to exact standards and quality
- An understanding of the rail industry standards and approvals process required to modify a train and bring it back into service
- Demonstrates innovative and creative thinking when performing problem solving initiatives
- Highly motivated, dependable and self-reliant
What do I need to qualify for this job?
- Demonstrable experience of using 2D and 3D CAD systems
- Previous experience in application designs for maintenance
- Previous experience including AutoCAD, Solid Edge or MicroStation
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with an ability to write clear, concise and comprehensive technical documentation
- Travel and working in a depot environment is expected, therefore able to travel within the UK and internationally for short periods, working with customers and colleagues from other Siemens businesses
We’re Siemens. A collection of over 377,000 great minds who are all making the future and you could be one of them. We have offices across the UK, full of hardworking individuals helping us to challenge the today and work towards a brighter tomorrow.
Want to join us and be a Future Maker?
We’re excited to hear that you would like to join Siemens. Our people love it here, and we want you to be a part of helping us make real, what matters.
We are looking forward to receiving your online application. Please ensure you complete all areas, of the application form, to the best of your ability to help us review your suitability for the role. We will be in contact as soon as possible with an update on your application.
What else do you need to know?
Our compensation package includes a competitive salary, performance related bonus, generous holiday allowance, pension and other additional benefits. We celebrate the fact that our employees are individuals and have different wants and needs. With this in mind, we have a flexible benefits scheme where you can tailor your benefits package to suit you.
If we all thought the same, we would never think of anything new. That’s why we recruit great minds from all walks of life. We recognise that building a diverse workforce is essential to the success of our business, therefore we encourage applications from a diverse talent pool. We are proud to announce that we have partnered with VERCIDA, the UK's largest diversity and inclusion focused careers site where all our vacancies are in an accessible format. We welcome the opportunity to discuss flexibility requirements with our applicants to encourage agile working and innovation.
Organization: Siemens Mobility
Company: Siemens Mobility Limited
Experience Level: not defined
Job Type: Full-time