Process Simulation Software Developer - Additive Manufacturing
Back in November 2019, Siemens acquired Atlas3D. Their core product, Sunata, now renamed into AM Build Optimizer, is a standalone SaaS (Cloud) application that takes a 3D design and quickly finds the optimal build orientation. The unique selling point is its ability to simulate the thermal distortion of >100 different build orientations for a part and its corresponding support structures using a thermal circuit network. It does this in a fraction of the time it would take a traditional FEA simulation to determine the thermal distortion for a single orientation. As a result, AM Build Optimizer is able to quickly recommend an optimized build orientation that will minimize thermal distortion; a key challenge in metal additive manufacturing using Laser Powder Bed Fusion.
We’re working to interface NX AM with AM Build Optimizer and have plans to go much further:
- Use the thermal distortion simulation results to validate manufacturability (DfAM)
- Use the thermal distortion simulation results in Manufacturing Design (“shift left”) to automatically add stock material to selected faces of a component proportional to the simulated distortion (this to ensure that, despite the distortion, there is enough material to machine away and be able to meet the design requirements)
- Combine the thermal distortion simulation with AM process monitoring (“shift right”) to help detect when actual print jobs start to deviate significantly from simulated print jobs; this can be used to abort long print job early and avoid wasting value time and material.
We are looking for an additional resource with the relevant research and software development background to help develop solutions for these top AM technologies. In addition, we’ll also need to support distortion prediction for alternative product materials; especially for polymers and composites. As a researcher / software developer you will add new build preparation capabilities into NX and NX AM that will rely on AM Build Optimizer capabilities that are running in the cloud. You will deal with 3D geometry (solids, convergent models, meshes & voxels) and 3D graphics. You will work alongside the NX AM team in Pune and collaborate closely with the NX AM team in the Netherlands and the core AM Build Optimizer team (and their partners) in the US.
Design, develop, modify, and implement software programming for products (both internal and external) with focus on surpassing customer expectations, on achieving high quality and on-time delivery. Responsible for ensuring the overall functional quality of the released product on all required platforms and mechanism. Ability to understand complex products, solutions, and problems. Creates, documents, and executes software designs which may involve complicated workflows or multiple product areas. Technical lead of one or more projects within one area of a product. Provides input to the technical direction for one area of a product. Occasional consults with customers regarding future upgrades and products. Able to solve complex technical problems. Provides specialized expertise within multiple systems, software disciplines, as well as general knowledge of related disciplines, applications implications, and customer areas. Works with minimal supervision on complex projects with wide latitude for independent judgment. Highly skilled with extensive proficiency and technical expertise.
Required Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience:
- Master’s degree (or PhD) in Physics (or a similar field)
- Proven experience in developing simulation-based solutions such as multi-physics simulation or topology optimization
- Experience with or interest in Additive Manufacturing
- Experienced with C++ (Design Patterns)
Preferred Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience:
- Preferably experience with NX and cloud computing / AWS
- Preferably experience using Agile methodology in all phases of the iterative software development life cycle
- Strong analytical skills.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Quick learner, ability to analyze technologies, develop quick prototypes, find solutions
Organization: Digital Industries
Company: Siemens Industry Software Inc.
Experience Level: Experienced Professional
Job Type: Full-time
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Siemens is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship status, ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability unrelated to ability, marital status, family responsibilities, pregnancy, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, transgender, sex stereotyping, order of protection status, protected veteran or military status, or an unfavorable discharge from military service, and other categories protected by federal, state or local law.
EEO is the Law
Applicants and employees are protected under Federal law from discrimination. To learn more, Click here.
Pay Transparency Non-Discrimination Provision
Siemens follows Executive Order 11246, including the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision. To learn more, Click here.
California Privacy Notice
California residents have the right to receive additional notices about their personal information. To learn more, click here.