Siemens Industry – Digital Industry: The Motion Control business unit has a Cranes Application Engineer position available, focusing on the Industrial Cranes sub-segment. For the initial six (6) months the position will be based in Atlanta to facilitate training. Long-term placement will be based on business needs, but most likely close to a large metropolitan location such as Atlanta, Chicago, or Dallas for example. Cranes Application Engineers support business across the USA.
This is an outstanding opportunity to join a strong team, providing the best end to end industrial cranes automation and motion solutions in the market. Siemens provides solutions for Crane Drive-Based Technologies (DBT), Anti-Skew (CeNIT), Anti-Sway (CeSAR), Drive-Based Sway Control (DBSC), Crane Management Systems (CMS), Load Collision Prevention Systems (LCPS), as well as Remote Control Operating Stations (RCOS) for basic, semi-automatic or fully automatic Industrial Cranes.
The Cranes applications are connected to several industries such as Aerospace, Automotive, Infrastructure, Material Handling, Marine, Metals and Minerals.
The Cranes Application Engineer will report to the Cranes Segment within the Motion Control Business as well as be part of the Application Engineers community within the Application Center (APC). The APC is a pool of engineers with different product or industry expertise. This knowledge is shared with the AE community and they often consult on the more complex issues.
• Provides technical support for Industrial Cranes applications and actively participates in account planning sessions with the local sales team, under the direction of the Cranes Industry Manager.
• The knowledge spectrum will focus on applying Variable Speed Drives, DC, AC and Servo for an Industrial Cranes application.
• Additional exposure to Programmable Logic Controllers(PLCs), Human Machine Interfaces(HMIs), Vision Systems, Motors, Radio and WiFi Networks.
• Aligns and applies entire scope of Siemens products, solutions, and services to meet the customer’s business goals.
• Site Commissioning of new as well as electrical Retrofits of Industrial Cranes will be a significant portion of candidate’s scope of work. Commissioning activities can be 2-3 weeks with multiple return trips to site, as the work progresses from pre-commissioning, to final commissioning to site performance evaluation.
• The candidate will initially be working under the direct guidance of others, but over the course of 1-2 years will become self-reliant.
• Provides technical product advice for the development and implementation of customer’s industrial cranes solutions.
• Prepares and presents detailed technical proposals, including product demonstrations, crane solution prototypes, and customer training.
• Offers recommendations for hardware and software design in accordance with the customer/project needs.
• Responsible for achieving validation of technical aspects of the solution offered in the bid.
• Resolves very complex technical problems to meet customers' needs. Acts as one escalation point for major customer technical issues. For some larger cranes several equipment suppliers may be present and need to work together to achieve the performance required by the customer.
• Works closely with project management and project execution engineering teams to ensure timely and accuracy of deliverables.
• Maximizes change order profitability by identifying, categorizing, and minimizing risks during the proposal phase.
• Supports marketing and research & development by providing recommendations to improve Cranes solutions.
• Provides technical support for OEMs and Solution Partners that have been approved to work with the Siemens Cranes Technology.
• Generates technical collateral such as application notes and examples for reuse by others.
• Implements a yearly learning and development plan focusing on technical skills and engineering soft skills.
• Must have good communication skills.
Required Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
A Cranes Application Engineer will have experience in VFD, PLC, and Motor architectures for Industrial Cranes involving multiple Automation and Motion products and technologies. Knowledge in multiple Automation and Motion areas with a focus on VFD knowledge is a benefit.
Some of Technical areas include;
• Motion Control and Drives (VFDs) **
• Controllers (PLCs)
• HMI Panels
• Machine Safety
Some of Engineering areas include;
• Sizing of Motors and VFDs
• Reading Electrical Drawings
• Explaining technical issues to both technical and non-technical customers
Experience and Travel;
· Bachelor of Science in electrical/mechanical/mechatronics engineering
- Typically 1-3 years of experience in automation/motion control systems
- Travel 50-75%, with over 1 week notice in most cases
Qualified Applicants must be legally authorized for employment in the United States. Qualified Applicants will not require employer sponsored work authorization now or in the future for employment in the United States.
Preferred Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
- Prior Siemens automation and motion experience is a plus
- General interest in Crane and hoist industry
- Comfortable working with equipment that is at mounted on the crane’s platform elevated from the ground.
Organization: Digital Industries
Company: Siemens Industry, Inc.
Experience Level: Mid-level Professional
Job Type: Full-time
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Siemens is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship status, ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability unrelated to ability, marital status, family responsibilities, pregnancy, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, transgender, sex stereotyping, order of protection status, protected veteran or military status, or an unfavorable discharge from military service, and other categories protected by federal, state or local law.
EEO is the Law
Applicants and employees are protected under Federal law from discrimination. To learn more, Click here.
Pay Transparency Non-Discrimination Provision
Siemens follows Executive Order 11246, including the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision. To learn more, Click here.
California Privacy Notice
California residents have the right to receive additional notices about their personal information. To learn more, click here.