Senior Software Engineer – R&D
Our team and what we do:
Our products and services touch many aspects of everyday mobility including the future of Autonomous Connected Vehicles, Clean Air Zones, Speed and Bus Lane Enforcement, Congestion Charging, and Electric Vehicle Charging. If you drove or took public transport today, your journey was almost certainly helped along by code written by our development teams. This code helps to reduce pollution and lowers the chances of road accidents resulting in a cleaner, safer environment for millions of people across the world.
The developers in our R&D team are responsible for the creation of innovative mobility solutions in the United Kingdom and Worldwide, working independently and as part of larger teams. The systems deployed typically utilise core sub-systems and products from the Traffic Solutions product portfolio with configuration and project specific developments.
The Senior Software Engineer will be a key contributor to one of our SCRUM teams working on a complex traffic management system that will improve the lives of the travelling public worldwide. The team is multi-disciplinary consisting of Angular UI and Java developers as well as testers. We are using an exciting portfolio of modern tools that you will use alongside this talented team. You will be bringing your experience in solving complex problems as we implement new features and improve existing architecture in a modern AWS hosted solution.
The successful candidate will be a motivated, autonomous innovator who has a passion for delivering change and improving the status quo.
There will be a requirement to visit the Poole site as required.
Is Siemens the place to enjoy your next success?
- You have a very strong coding background and can demonstrate strong competency in either Java or Angular UI and have a strong understanding of object orientated design. We use a broad set of languages and you will have the opportunity to work through the full development stack but as a senior developer you will be expected to support the team in understanding and updating our code.
- You are comfortable working in fully agile teams developing microservices deployed to an AWS cloud.
- You should be comfortable working with tools such as GitLab, Jira, Confluence and Docker.
- You see technical setbacks as a challenge to overcome and use them to improve your own knowledge and experience.
- You can demonstrate experience of successfully delivering tasks within time, quality and budget constraints.
- You are an effective communicator able to describe technical solutions to all stakeholders to achieve the desired result, with strong oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to foresee, identify and understand problems, using logical and structured methodology to create solutions and escalate where necessary
In your role, what can you expect?
This role will be that of a Senior Software Engineer performing a SME (Subject Matter Expert) function, working with both onshore and offshore development teams.
- Takes ownership for the delivery of sub-projects within the product
- Becomes responsible for modules/areas within the product and becomes the go to person for these
- Provides the offshore teams with design & feature documents
- Available to the team members to answer technical or feature related questions
- Reports on the progress of the sub-projects that they are responsible for delivering
for the quality of the delivered code - Code reviews,Monitoring sprint testing
- Coordinates delivery into the system test team
- Assists Product Owner in quoting for new features
- MVP / PoC Coding
- Code reviews
- Monitoring sprint testing
- Well designed, tested functional code into system test
- Good documentation that provides the offshore teams everything they need to build good quality code that implements the features required by the customer
- Regular progress reports to the Product Owner / Product Lifecycle Manager on the development status of your sub-projects
You will contribute to a team of multi-disciplined engineers responsible for an important set of features of our traffic management system. You can expect to take responsibility for stories, epics or groups of user stories that will form part of the final product. You will have the support of a Lead Software Engineer/Product Owner and a dedicated Scrum Master but you are likely to be presenting designs at planning sessions and will be expected to lead and guide other developers to complete features for the product. You will be expected to encourage a culture of continuous improvement at sprint retrospectives.
Candidates should hold a BSc in a related STEM discipline or be able to demonstrate experience in a similar professional role. It is desirable that candidates are working towards or have additional domain knowledge accreditations such as AWS certified developer (which will be supported by Siemens).
Our projects are at the forefront of road network technologies, including V2X which further integrates on-street equipment, signage and information available to the driver in the car - all to improve safety and minimising journey times.
We’re Siemens. A collection of over 381,000 great minds who are all making the future and you could be one of them. We have offices across the UK, full of talented individual’s helping us to challenge the today and work towards a brighter tomorrow.
Want to join us and be a Future Maker?
We’re excited to hear that you would like to join us here at Siemens. Our people love it here and we want you to be a part of helping us make real, what matters.
We are looking forward to receiving your online application. Please ensure you complete all areas, of the application form, to the best of your ability to help us review your suitability for the role. We will be in contact as soon as possible with an update on your application.
What else do I need to know?
Our compensation package includes a competitive salary, holiday allowance and pension. We celebrate the fact that our employees are individuals and have different wants and needs. With this in mind, we have a flexible benefits scheme where you can tailor your benefits package to suit you.
If we all thought the same, we would never think of anything new. That’s why we recruit great minds from all walks of life. We recognise that building a diverse workforce is essential to the success of our business, therefore we encourage applications from a diverse talent pool. We are proud to announce that we have partnered with VERCIDA, the UK's largest diversity and inclusion focused careers site where all our vacancies are in an accessible format. We welcome the opportunity to discuss flexibility requirements with our applicants to encourage agile working and innovation.
Organization: Siemens Mobility
Company: Siemens Mobility Limited
Experience Level: not defined
Job Type: Full-time