As a Mass Properties System Engineer, you will be responsible to collect, interpret, calculate and report weight and mass properties, center of gravity, moments of inertia, longitudinal and lateral distribution, and additional technical specification requirements on each vehicle system in the Rolling Stock fleet of rail vehicles. This role requires experience of early lifecycle mass development and control aspects of rail/platform design and optimization within a multi-disciplinary development environment and will require the capability to set and approve mass, center of gravity and inertia properties and targets for all aspects of the platform structure and equipment.
Excellent communication and problem-solving skills are essential, as this position requires working in close conjunction with all design engineering functions within the department as well as with the purchasing, quality and testing departments.
• Plan, estimate, and control weights engineering tasks within span of control.
• Approve weights analyses, mass and inertia properties and targets and carry weights approval for design drawings/models.
• Support the auxiliary System Engineers in dialogue with relevant sub-suppliers and assist in the development of the project control plan for mass, balance and inertia related matters.
• Deploy and govern weights engineering methods, processes and data within agreed span of control.
• Support procurement, manufacturing, testing and warranty cycles in all aspects related to weight balance.
• Provide periodic reports of weight and mass properties to customers per the technical and contractual specifications.
• Provide a leadership contribution to the management and development of the weights engineering toolset and processes within the Structures discipline.
• Provide a leadership contribution to the management and development of the Weights team.
Required Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
• BS degree in Mechanical Engineering or related discipline
• 5-10 years of experience rail industry or related field
• Strong communication and presentation skills
• Ability to clearly and concisely express technical information of the entrance system
• Strong technical writing skills
• Presentation and meeting facilitation skills
• Travel up to 10% of your time
• Qualified applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States. Qualified applicants will not require employer sponsored work authorization now or in the future for employment in the United States.
Preferred Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
• MS degree in Mechanical Engineering
• Rolling Stock Engineering experience
• Systems Engineering/ Project Engineering experience
Organization: Siemens Mobility
Company: Siemens Mobility, Inc
Experience Level: Experienced Professional
Job Type: Full-time
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Siemens is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship status, ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability unrelated to ability, marital status, family responsibilities, pregnancy, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, transgender, sex stereotyping, order of protection status, protected veteran or military status, or an unfavorable discharge from military service, and other categories protected by federal, state or local law.
EEO is the Law
Applicants and employees are protected under Federal law from discrimination. To learn more, Click here.
Pay Transparency Non-Discrimination Provision
Siemens follows Executive Order 11246, including the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision. To learn more, Click here.
California Privacy Notice
California residents have the right to receive additional notices about their personal information. To learn more, click here.