R&D Director for YUNEX Traffic
Do you want to help grow a market leading company at the forefront of digitalisation in a changing market?
YUNEX is the market leading road technology business in the UK, formally known as Siemens Intelligent Traffic Systems. We have a clear purpose to improve society through a safer, more environmentally friendly and faster road network that helps drive the UK economy. Our customers know us for quality, reliability and innovation and trust us as a long-term partner. YUNEX UK is part of a Global YUNEX Traffic business and the UK organisation is an end-to-end business with manufacturing, R&D, Service, Projects and Sales in country, hence building strong relationships with stakeholders across the business and globally is key to the business working well. The market is changing driven by both technology and changes in the public-sector customer base, so this is an exciting period for the industry where close long-term partnerships with customers is crucial together with the ability to innovate not only our technology but also our commercial offering.
The R&D Director role is responsible for leading the YUNEX Traffic UK R&D department, located in Poole. The role encompasses the responsibility of over 100 engineers, primarily located in Poole but also in Central London and India. As the R&D Director you will be responsible for the successful development of traditional ITS products ranging from Traffic Light Controllers, ANPR cameras and Intelligent Detectors with the UK being center of competence for a range of the global portfolio. You will also be responsible for the development of urban traffic control (UTC) software solutions in a product and project environment. The technology spread of this role is broad including Modern Cloud Development (SaaS), Firmware, Hardware and Mechanical.
The role does encompass creativity, analytics, digitalisation, R&D Project Management and administrative responsibilities across the entire R&D setup. You work closely with the Product Lifecycle Management (PLM), our digital Factory, Procurement, and most importantly with our customers in larger Software Projects. You will also be a key member of the Global Development Board of the Yunex global R&D organization and work closely with the CTO of Yunex Traffic.
A key requirement of the role is to create an innovative R&D environment where developers love to develop the next generation of Software to keep the UK’s society moving. At the same time the role requires accountability for cost, time, requirements and quality for each R&D activity.
This is a senior position that will directly report to the Managing Director of YUNEX Traffic.
What are my responsibilities?
Reporting to the YUNEX Ltd. MD, the R&D Director will have the following operational responsibilities:
- leading a team of Mechanical Engineers (Inventor, AutoCad)
- Ensure innovative and long-lasting mechanical solutions
- Drive continuous DTC projects to support our manufacturing and service teams
Hardware & Firmware Development
- lead a team of Hardware and Firmware Developers (C++ , Java, Mentor, Embedded Linux)
- Set technical impulses to make YUNEX Traffic products outstanding and competitive
- Utilise newest technologies and increase innovation and adaptability of our products
- Chose right Development Model for each Firmware project (Agile vs Safety Critical)
Software Systems Development
- Lead Teams who develops Urban Traffic Control Software (Modern C++), Road User Charging Solutions (J2EE) and a cloud-based Traffic Management Software “STRATOS” (microServices and AWS technology stack)
- Choose the right Development Model for each project (SAFE, SCRUM, Test Driven, etc.)
Software Project management
- Manage larger Software Projects, where YUNEX Traffic delivers bespoke software solutions
- Choose the right Development Model to guarantee costs, time and requirements are met consistently
- Support and optimise (at a 3rd line level) the 24/7 operation of our delivered software solutions and products including our AWS cloud traffic management solution and the instation operation of the London Congestion Charging System
- Leverage our potential by utilising and aligning forces with other international R&D locations within YUNEX Traffic (UK, US, GER, CZ and India)
- Interface to YUNEX Traffic HQ, R&D
Budgeting / controlling process
- Full responsibility for all R&D projects, YUNEX Traffic Products and its successful introduction into the ITS market
- Experience in accessing innovation funds in relevant areas (e.g. Connected Mobility, Cyber Security, Product Digitalisation) to grow research investment.
- Support a global manufacturing organisation for continuous design support and design to cost innovation
- Experience in requirements analysis and estimating to create compelling customer proposals that are delivered to budget and on time
What do I need to qualify for the role?
- You will have experience in understanding complex architectures and solutions and presenting these at a relevant level for a broad set of partners
- You will have experience in managing larger R&D departments in a global R&D organisation
- You will have a track record of redefining the culture of an organisation to a “DevOps” mindset, breaking down barriers to deliver customer needs with agility and adapting state of the art products to rapidly support evolving business models
- You will be a highly detailed individual capable of challenging activities in a broad technology stack to bring out the best in every engineer
- You will have a track record of delivering projects to time and budget and providing clear measures of progress and managing risk
We’re Siemens. A collection of over 381,000 great minds who are all making the future and you could be one of them. We have offices across the UK, full of hardworking individual’s helping us to challenge the today and work towards a brighter tomorrow.
Want to join us and be a Future Maker?
We’re excited to hear that you would like to join us here at Siemens. Our people love it here and we want you to be a part of helping us make real, what matters.
We are looking forward to receiving your online application. Please ensure you complete all areas, of the application form, to the best of your ability to help us review your suitability for the role. We will be in contact as soon as possible with an update on your application.
What else do I need to know?
Our compensation package includes a competitive salary, holiday allowance and pension. We celebrate the fact that our employees are individuals and have different wants and needs. With this in mind, we have a flexible benefits scheme where you can tailor your benefits package to suit you.
If we all
thought the same, we would never think of anything new. That’s why we recruit
great minds from all walks of life. We recognise that building a diverse
workforce is crucial to the success of our business, therefore we encourage
applications from a diverse talent pool. We are proud to announce that we have
partnered with VERCIDA, the UK's largest
diversity and inclusion focused careers site where all our vacancies are in an
accessible format. We welcome the opportunity to discuss flexibility
requirements with our applicants to encourage agile working and innovation.
Organization: Siemens Mobility
Company: Siemens Mobility Limited
Experience Level: not defined
Job Type: Full-time