From locomotives, trains and trams, to rail infrastructure including electrification, communications, control systems and signalling systems, Siemens has a comprehensive range of solutions to enable safe and accessible mobility across Australia and New Zealand. As well as rail transport, we also offer solutions in airport logistics postal automation and intelligent transport technologies.
Opportunity has arisen for an Engineering Team Leader (Signalling) to join the Siemens Mobility Signalling Design Team in Melbourne, Sydney or Brisbane.
The Engineering Team Leader (Signalling) is a knowledgeable individual in Railway Signalling systems who provides technical and managerial leadership in their areas of expertise. They guide and manage the competence and development of their team so that they achieve the required competencies in consultation with the Engineering Manager Signalling (EM-Sig). They also provide career path guidance and training needs to their team in consultation with the EM-Sig.
• Responsible for the effective utilisation of the Engineering resources in their team or allocated to them temporarily for the delivery of projects. They will also need to plan and forecast the resource requirements and advise the EM-Sig of the need for reallocation / contractor engagement or recruitment to fill those resource needs. This role will also be required to perform as a project delivery Work Package Manager and/or as Design Engineer (DE/SDE/PDE) as per their competency in the Engineering Competency Management System (CMS).
• Responsible for effective Signal engineering in their area of practice. They will roll out the approved engineering processes to their teams in consultation with the EM-Sig. They should also look for opportunities such as tools, process improvements, training or other means to increase their team's productivity, quality and effectiveness. The Engineering Team Leader (Signalling), where allocated a fixed team, should maintain the balance between delivery, competency growth and succession planning for their team.
• The level of responsibilities/capabilities on design and checking of different type of design elements will be assessed based on the skill matrix of the individual registered within the Siemens Mobility Australia CMS.Nurturing and coaching of more junior staff where necessary.
• Independent review of design produced by other regions when required.
In the absence of the work package lead or engineering Signalling Team Lead, step in as 2IC for them if assigned by Work Package Manager/Signalling Engineering Manager.
Main Areas of Expertise
• Signalling DE/SDE/PDE and or Work Package Management expertise as per their competence in CMS
• Interactions with the Project Engineer & Manager to report on progress & resolve issues arising Leadership by example
• Signalling Engineering Interface for their area of responsibility.
• Management of the utilisation, training, competence and career growth for their team
• Growth of their team in terms of quality (competence) and quantity as per market and business needs
• Plan and allocate resources to effectively staff and accomplish the work to meet productivity and quality goals
• Advise the EM-Sig of the need for recruitment in order to fill those resource needs
• Plan, evaluate, and improve the efficiency of processes and procedures to enhance speed, quality, efficiency, and output
• Establish and maintain relevant controls and feedback systems to monitor the operation of the team
• Review performance data to monitor and measure departmental productivity, goal achievement, and overall effectiveness.
• Manage the preparation and maintenance of reports necessary to carry out the functions of the department. Prepares periodic reports for management, as necessary or requested, to track strategic goal accomplishment.
• Communicate regularly with other managers and other designated contacts within the organisation
• Report to next level management on general status and achievement of business targets and objectives
To be considered for this role you will have:
• Professional experience with a minimum of five years; ideally five+ years in the area of Signalling Engineering
• Experience on a variety of Signalling Projects
• Team Leadership
• Experience in dealing with a wide range of customers and stakeholders
• Existing formal rail design competency approvals, or ability to attain formal approvals under Australian/New Zealand operator regulatory competency frameworks (e.g. ARA, IRSE, Queensland Rail, MTM, Rail Safety Worker Card etc.) Current MTM competencies are highly desirable.
In return for your commitment to Siemens, you will be rewarded with a challenging and stimulating work environment, as well as a very attractive remuneration package including performance-based incentive payments.
Siemens is a proud equal opportunity employer, creating a work environment of diversity and inclusion. Our diverse workforce cultivates Innovation and Excellence and in turn creates a workplace where our employees belong and prosper. Diversity and inclusion help us fully realise the potential of our people. As part of Siemens Ownership culture, Siemens also genuinely supports reasonable flexible working practices that empower our employees to best meet work and personal commitments.