Now’s our time to inspire the future of healthcare together.
Siemens Healthineers is a leading global medical technology company with over 170 years of experience and 18,000 patents. More than 48,000 dedicated colleagues in over 70 countries are driven to shape the future of healthcare. We stand with our customers around the world to support them in delivering high quality care to their patients. An estimated 5 million patients across the globe benefit every day from our innovative technologies and services in the areas of diagnostic and therapeutic imaging, laboratory diagnostics and molecular medicine, as well as digital health and enterprise services. This is what truly matters to us.
Join our team now at Siemens Healthineers as Engineering Manager – Machining and Prototyping.
The Siemens Healthineers Lab Diagnostics Mechanical Engineering organization is focused on the development of automated medical devices for in vitro diagnostic (IVD) working with infectious diseases, oncology, cardiac markers, fertility testing, thyroid function, clinical chemistries and other clinical applications. From an engineering standpoint these medical devices rely on precision mechatronics, robotics, fluid delivery systems and thermal controls to allow for the accurate and precise reporting of patient assay results.
As the Engineering Manager you will lead a team of 6 machinists across three locations. You will own and drive part fabrication from prototype additive manufacturing machines, to fully machined components. We are looking for an engineering manager with experience in machine shop practices and rapid prototyping, to come in build a team in each of our locations, and drive functional excellence and world class part creation internally and externally. This position requires a bachelor's degree in engineering (or equivalent experience) and 10+ years of leading in a machine shop or rapid prototyping setting.
The Engineering Manager – Machining and Prototyping position is open to any of our three sites (Glasgow, DE – Flanders, NJ – Tarrytown, NY). There is an expectation of travel up to 10% across these sites. The position reports to the Director of Mechanical Engineering within the Design Engineering function of the Global Engineering Organization (GEO).
This is a role well suited to an ambitious professional, looking for the next step in their career. As an Engineering Manager – Machining and Prototyping position, you will be responsible for:
• You will ensure projects teams get parts on time and of the quality expected
• You will Conduct mid, end of year reviews of team members. Drive development plans as needed.
• You will Develop training plans for staff and updates accordingly to project needs
• You will participate in long range planning sessions
• You will develop team annual budgets (capital equipment, labor, material)
• You will evaluate new technologies constantly to fabricate and develop parts
• You will ensure teams are using best practice processes and procedures, and they remain consistent across locations
• You will brainstorm new ways of working to eliminate waste and reduce time to part
• You will ensure teams are engaged, have high morale, and perform at a high levels at all times
• You will apply problem solving skills and root cause analysis to all areas of the business
• You will ensure the quality of work produced by the team is high, and apply continuous improvement measures
• You will prepare reviews for business and technical leadership.
• You will create and maintain effective relationships with key internal and external stakeholders
This position may suit you best if you are familiar with what is below, and would like to do develop your career with Healthineers.
• You have strong prior design knowledge of CNC equipment and machine shop practices
• You have exposure to additive manufacturing process and their application.
• You must have some proficiency in 3D CAD/CAM design software (NX preferred).
• Your proficiency in TeamCenter will be a plus.
• You have understanding of Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T)
• You have exposure to Agile/Scrum methodologies desirable
• You have understanding of new product development process’ and procedures
• You have understanding of multiple manufacturing methods including plastic injection molding, sheet metal, castings, extrusions, machining, etc.
• You have good communication skills, written and oral
• You have the ability to relate well and establish credibility at all levels of the organization
Required skills to have for the success of this role - Education/Qualifications
• Bachelor’s Degree (or equivalent experience) in Engineering with 10+ years of demonstrated success in a machine shop, rapid prototyping environment required.
• Experienced functional manager with 5+ years leading small teams