An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Principal Control Systems Engineer to join our Traffic Management team within the Siemens Mobility Limited, Rail Infrastructure business. We have a flexible working policy and will consider applications local to our core offices, these include Birmingham, Chippenham, York, Derby, Manchester and Glasgow.
Our Team and what we do:
As market leaders across rail, road and logistics, Siemens Mobility Limited are pursuing the goal of networking various transportation systems with one another to move people and goods efficiently - complete mobility!
We have secured two new major frameworks for the next eight years where we will be providing our route control Traffic Management solution with a direct interface to our signaling level Westcad advanced route setting solution. This provides our customer with integrated control levels and outstanding flexibility to manage their train service and minimize delay.
We welcome enquiries from anyone who would like to join the UK number one supplier and be part of our new transformative technology rollout.
Your role, and what you’ll be doing:
In this role you will work on railway traffic management projects throughout the full project life cycle, working in partnership with the multi-skilled, multi-disciplinary team. This is from the early stages of bids and tenders, specification, system design, through validation, testing, approvals and installation, to ongoing customer support.
As a Principal Engineer in the Traffic Management team, you will work with a team of engineers from junior to senior levels. You will guide them through the implementation of projects to deliver technical solutions which meets the customers’ needs and complies with industry specifications.
You will act as a technical and engineering leader in a growing team working collaboratively with the customer to deliver Traffic Management solutions for one of the most complicated and varied railways in the world.
What will be my Responsibilities?
- Manage the delivery of Traffic Management engineering work-packages across a number of projects.
- Allocation of team members to work packages for the preparation of engineering plans, specifications and system design to ensure these are delivered to time, quality, and cost parameters.
- Direct and carry out checking and approval of Traffic Management system engineering as required.
- Provide management support and guidance to the engineers within the team
- Participate in the preparation of technical details, specifications and tenders for projects
- Monitor the progress of works and ensure that the development, design, construction and testing requirements are met and effect remedial action when required.
- Ensure that the technical and safety standards are maintained in all aspects of work in order that successful project implementation and future reliability is achieved.
- Evaluate the quality and technical accuracy of tenders and make recommendations to obtain the best available commercial award for the Company.
- Maintain a continuous communication with contractors and customers in the development and implementation of projects to ensure a uniformity of purpose and common targets.
- Participate in the planning, programming and monitoring of resources to meet timeline requirements and targets.
- Forecast resource requirements vital for projects in sufficient time to ensure that they can be provided.
- Monitor and control budgets for allocated work packages.
- Direct testing and commissioning as required.
- Conduct regular performance appraisal of key staff and manage their performance.
- Act as mentor to the engineering community and promote personal development via Continuous Professional Development and Personal Development Plans.
- Ensure staff have the appropriate competence and certification.
- Where appropriate act in the role of Contractors' Responsible Engineer.
What Qualifications, Skills and Experience do I need?
- Extensive experience in the design and implementation of Railway Traffic Management systems.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Good understanding of task, time and leadership skills.
- Degree in engineering or related topic.
- Proven experience of Traffic Management system design.
- Good customer and commercial awareness.
- Membership of the IRSE or other relevant Engineering Institution.
- 26 days holiday, increasing up to 29 days with length of service
- Excellent pension, with Siemens matching contributions up to 10% of pensionable salary
- Competitive annual performance related bonus
- Flexible benefits to suit your personal needs
- Flexible working policy
- Investment in personal development and support to membership of professional institutions
We’re Siemens. A collection of over 377,000 great minds who are all making the future and you could be one of them. We have offices across the UK, full of hardworking individuals helping us to challenge the today and work towards a brighter tomorrow.
Want to join us and be a Future Maker?
We’re excited to hear that you would like to join Siemens. Our people love it here, and we want you to be a part of helping us make real, what matters.
We are looking forward to receiving your online application. Please ensure you complete all areas, of the application form, to the best of your ability to help us review your suitability for the role. We will be in contact as soon as possible with an update on your application.
What else do you need to know?
Our compensation package includes a competitive salary, holiday allowance, pension and other additional benefits. We celebrate the fact that our employees are individuals and have different wants and needs. With this in mind, we have a flexible benefits scheme where you can tailor your benefits package to suit you.
If we all thought the same, we would never think of anything new. That’s why we recruit great minds from all walks of life. We recognise that building a diverse workforce is essential to the success of our business, therefore we encourage applications from a diverse talent pool. We are proud to announce that we have partnered with VERCIDA, the UK's largest diversity and inclusion focused careers site where all our vacancies are in an accessible format. We welcome the opportunity to discuss flexibility requirements with our applicants to encourage agile working and innovation.
Organization: Siemens Mobility
Company: Siemens Mobility Limited
Experience Level: not defined
Job Type: Full-time