This person will:
- Define specific technology roadmap elements for control and optimization of power systems based on advanced automatic control, optimization, and machine learning methods
- Implement these elements in research projects by acquiring R&D funding from Siemens’ business units and governmental funding agencies
- Lead and execute R&D projects to implement these roadmap elements in feasibility studies, technical specifications, prototypes, laboratory and field tests, as well as eventually into larger systems and product components.
- Support the research group’s strategic technology, business, and people development
- Build a Siemens internal network to collaborate on larger, international projects
- Develop a network with universities, research labs, and other companies to jointly pursue governmental funding opportunities and develop a brand recognition externally
- Protect the results of your work through patent applications and publish protected results at conferences or in top journals.
Qualified candidates will have:
- Ph.D. in Engineering or related fields with strong focus on automatic control and optimization for power systems required
- 3+ years of related experience/achievements
- Strong theoretical background and practical experience in different optimization and automatic control methods like nonlinear and mixed-integer programming, and model-predictive control, robust and nonlinear control, reinforcement learning
- Solid understanding and practical expertise in power system design, engineering, and operation and corresponding modelling and simulation methods and tools
- Good knowledge of power generation devices like wind turbines or photovoltaic plants is a plus.
- Proven track record developing new research demonstrated by a strong publication record and early developments to the level of a working system prototypes as well as involvement in writing funding proposals for research grants.
- Knowledge of tools and programming languages typically used to support design and validation of optimization and controller design, e.g. C/C++, MATLAB, Simulink.
- Established network with US research institutions and academia is a plus.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication (verbal & written) skills in English required. Capable of presenting complex technical topics in a clear and structured way, ability to moderate discussions, meetings, and projects.
- Flexibility and resourcefulness to work in a growing, dynamic, interdisciplinary team of specialists.
Siemens Technology employees are passionate about applied research. We create technology with purpose that benefits society - more agile and productive factories, more intelligent and efficient buildings and grids, more reliable and sustainable transportation. Our work powers Siemens products and is regularly featured in patents and publications. We operate in a global ecosystem focused on innovation, partnering with our customers, businesses, government agencies, and leading academic institutions on highly visible projects where collaboration is key.
Our people continuously develop their talents, are curious, and are not afraid to take risks in pursuit of technological innovation. A strong learning culture empowers employees at Siemens Technology to own their growth and development.
We know that diversity fuels innovation and drives business success. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment, where diversity of thought, culture, and experience is seen as our greatest strength. This is what brings our best ideas to life.
We take pride in bringing our best selves to work every day, prioritizing individual health, work-life blend, and flexibility.
At Siemens Technology, the success of our employees drives our success.
We are more than employees; we are actively helping to make people’s lives a little better every day. Would you like to be a part of that? Then join us. We offer you a high level of practical relevance as well as an opportunity to individually contribute your knowledge and your visions around the world. Whether you’re helping to develop products for the operating units or working in interdisciplinary projects for the business areas: At Siemens Technology you’ll be working in the heart of Siemens’ technological research together with the best.
Company: Siemens Corporation
Experience Level: Experienced Professional
Job Type: Full-time
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Siemens is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship status, ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability unrelated to ability, marital status, family responsibilities, pregnancy, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, transgender, sex stereotyping, order of protection status, protected veteran or military status, or an unfavorable discharge from military service, and other categories protected by federal, state or local law.
EEO is the Law
Applicants and employees are protected under Federal law from discrimination. To learn more, Click here.
Pay Transparency Non-Discrimination Provision
Siemens follows Executive Order 11246, including the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision. To learn more, Click here.
California Privacy Notice
California residents have the right to receive additional notices about their personal information. To learn more, click here.