Siemens Healthineers enables healthcare providers worldwide by empowering them on their journeys towards expanding precision medicine, transforming care delivery, improving the patient experience, and digitalizing healthcare. Siemens Healthineers is continuously developing its product and service portfolio, with AI-supported applications and digital offerings that play an increasingly important role in the next generation of medical technology. These new applications will enhance the company’s foundation in in-vitro diagnostics, image-guided therapy, in-vivo diagnostics, and innovative cancer care. Siemens Healthineers also provides a range of services and solutions to enhance the ability of healthcare providers’ to provide high-quality, efficient care to patients. In fiscal 2020, which ended on September 30, 2020, Siemens Healthineers generated revenue of €14.5 billion and adjusted EBIT of €2.2 billion. Following the acquisition of Varian Medical Systems, Inc. the company has approximately 66,000 employees worldwide. Further information is available at www.siemens-healthineers.com.
In vitro laboratory diagnostics tests account for 70% of clinical decision making. Our DX Laboratory Diagnostics (LD) business serves customers in more than 100 countries and leads with innovative solutions in several segments of the in vitro diagnostics industry for virtually every disease and organ. These segments encompass clinical chemistry, immunoassay, hematology, hemostasis, drug testing, plasma proteins, infectious disease testing, and total laboratory automation. All of these are enhanced by digital applications that enable labs with advanced business intelligence and increased insight into operations, as well as the ability to standardize and optimize their performance.
Headquartered in Tarrytown, New York, LD has employees in the United States, Canada, Latin America, Europe, the Middle East, Asia and Australia. As Siemens Healthineers Diagnostics business help shape healthcare delivery around the world, it will continue to develop innovative technology solutions that impact patients’ lives through the continuum of care—from early detection, through diagnosis, and treatment.
The Commercial & Operations Counsel will support Strategic Procurement, Supply Chain Management and Materials & Logistics, as well as the global operational businesses of the Laboratory Diagnostics and POC business areas within the Diagnostics segment of Siemens Healthineers, reporting directly to the General Counsel POC, in her additional role as Head of Legal, Operations, Laboratory Diagnostics.
The Counsel will be responsible for quickly gaining a solid understanding of Siemens Healthineers’ (particularly LD’s and POC’s) businesses, portfolio, global regulatory environments, challenges, and for counseling business partners with respect to a wide variety of operational, procurement, supply, manufacturing, logistics, general commercial, regulatory, corporate, transactional, and other operational and governance matters. In doing so, the Counsel will, among other things, negotiate and draft complex commercial agreements, collaborations frameworks and joint development agreements concerning the development and sale of highly-complex medical devices and related reagents and consumables.
Essential Job Functions
- Draft, review, and negotiate a wide variety of commercial or strategic agreements to meet business and legal requirements, including procurement, OEM, supply, sales, distribution, research/validation collaborations, development & commercialization agreements.
- Collaborate with strategic procurement, regulatory affairs, logistics, supply chain management, sales, R&D, marketing, finance, intellectual property, and other departments to analyze and further business, regulatory and legal imperatives.
- Actively counsel the LD & POC global business areas, including senior management, on legal matters, including diligently counseling business partners on healthcare regulations, anti-kickback, fraud & abuse, privacy (including data privacy), billing third party payers (including the U.S. federal and various state governments under the Medicare and Medicaid programs), the Stark law and covered entity obligations under HIPAA/HITECH, the Sunshine Act and related topics.
- Prepare and conduct training of personnel on various procurement, logistics, collaborations, commercial law, regulatory matters and other relevant topics.
- Educate business partners with regard to key commercial, competition, data privacy and significant regulatory considerations.
- Develop creative and compliant solutions to assist in structuring and resolving complicated business challenges.
- Negotiate with key partners, suppliers, vendors, and (when appropriate) government agencies.
- Provide ongoing counseling regarding (and efficient implementation of) various corporate policies, initiatives and/or programs.
- Cooperate across corporate business units and departments and throughout a large group of affiliated companies to achieve optimal results while minimizing risk.
- Proactively mitigate global and national legal risk within Siemens Healthineers and its various controlled entities and/or affiliates, as well as the broader Siemens global group.
- Perform any other duties and special projects assigned by the respective Generals Counsel to LD and POC.
- Proven ability to independently lead and execute all facets of challenging multi-disciplinary engagements with highest integrity and ethics – from preliminary/conceptual advice, through structuring, due diligence, negotiating, drafting, closing, and any subsequent conflict resolution.
- Highly polished and effective negotiation, communication, listening and drafting skills, including those suitable for interaction with senior managers and executive leadership within a global and matrixed organization.
- Expertise in healthcare legal and regulatory environment (U.S. expertise strongly preferred).
- Fluency with the regulatory environments, including FDA regulations, anti-kickback laws, fraud and abuse statutes, and privacy laws applicable to medical device manufacturers.
- Familiarity with key elements of procurement, manufacturing, logistics, licensing, intellectual property and distribution legal issues.
- Demonstrated skill in working collaboratively with multiple teams simultaneously and coordinating with multi-jurisdictional and multi-cultural transaction partners.
- Proven ability to identify and initiate needed actions and follow-up.
- Innovation in design and delivery of legal strategies and solutions to support ever-evolving business objectives.
- Experience with monitoring and improving processes through ongoing optimization efforts, technology enhancements, and business partner feedback.
- Willingness and ability to travel domestically and, from time-to-time, internationally.
- Minimum of 7 years of corporate and commercial law experience (with at least 3 years of experience with a well-regarded law firm); distinguished in-house experience with a respected healthcare company will be viewed as a very positively distinguishing attribute.
- U.S. law degree (J.D.) required.
- Admitted to practice law in state of New York (or international law degree equivalent) (if not admitted in NY, obtaining a New York In-House Counsel license will be required).
Siemens Healthineers has recently announced the next steps in our continued commitment to prioritize colleague health, comply with customer/business partner requirements, and help preserve our business continuity. Going forward, please be aware that Siemens Healthineers requires full vaccination for COVID-19 for our U.S. employees, contractors, and business partners, where local conditions allow, who:
1) Are customer-facing (e.g., those required to visit a customer/business partner site or interact in-person with customers at any conference or meeting) OR
2) Come on-site, whether regularly or occasionally, at any Siemens Healthineers location.
(Note: Accommodations may be requested for certain medical or religious reasons)
At Siemens Healthineers, we value those who dedicate their energy and passion to a greater cause. Our people make us unique as an employer in the med-tech industry. What unites and motivates our global team is the inspiration of our common purpose: To innovate for healthcare, building on our remarkable legacy of pioneering ideas that translate into even better healthcare products and services. We recognize that taking ownership of our work allows both us and the company to grow. We offer you a flexible and dynamic environment and the space to move beyond your comfort zone to grow both personally and professionally.
If you want to join us in transforming the way healthcare is delivered, visit our career site at https://usa.healthcare.siemens.com/careers
If you wish to find out more about the specific before applying, please visit: https://usa.healthcare.siemens.com/about
As an equal-opportunity employer we are happy to consider applications from individuals with disabilities.
Organization: Siemens Healthineers
Company: Siemens Medical Solutions USA, Inc.
Experience Level: Early Professional
Job Type: Full-time
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Siemens is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship status, ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability unrelated to ability, marital status, family responsibilities, pregnancy, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, transgender, sex stereotyping, order of protection status, protected veteran or military status, or an unfavorable discharge from military service, and other categories protected by federal, state or local law.
EEO is the Law
Applicants and employees are protected under Federal law from discrimination. To learn more, Click here.
Pay Transparency Non-Discrimination Provision
Siemens follows Executive Order 11246, including the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision. To learn more, Click here.
California Privacy Notice
California residents have the right to receive additional notices about their personal information. To learn more, click here.