We are seeking a hands-on, full-time Research Engineer with deep knowledge and interest in Computer Vision, Machine Learning, and Augmented Reality with a focus on their extensions and industrial application. Our research group works with Siemens’ business units from the early phase of finding opportunities through designing solutions and implementing prototypes as well as government funding agencies to develop cutting edge application prototypes and end solutions. To succeed in this role, we need someone who has the ability to think out of the box, innovate and find sound solutions to customer problems and help us transform industry!
This right person for this role has extensive knowledge and experience in research, design, and implementation of algorithms in Deep Learning for Computer Vision and Image Analytics as well as competencies in building applications in Augmented and Virtual Reality. The person will also have the ability to apply image and video analysis techniques to large-scale, real-world problems.
In this role as a Research Engineer, you will:
- Develop and apply Machine and Deep Learning approaches to real-world industrial problems.
- Contribute to the implementation of research projects and develop models/applications to be executed on various types of systems.
- Collaborate with Siemens business units to understand their problem requirements, create and deliver solutions to such problems.
- Support the acquisition of funds from Siemens business units as well as from public agencies.
- Maintain and enlarge network with US research institutes and start-ups for acquiring joint projects.
- Advance the state-of-the-art in the field, including generating patents and publications in top journals and conferences.
- Present and communicate project results and ideas to internal and external project partners or at conferences.
- Partner with colleagues to publish scientific papers, generate intellectual property, and apply for grants.
Qualified candidates will have:
- M.S. in Computer Science, Engineering, or related discipline.
- Minimum of 4 years of experience demonstrating strong understanding of fundamentals of machine learning and deep learning, along with knowledge of state-of-the-art solution approaches, successful demonstration of key responsibilities.
- Hands-on coding skills and ability to quickly prototype in Python is a must as well as deep experience in object-oriented languages such as C#.
- Practical experience and proficiency with Machine Learning modeling frameworks such as PyTorch, TensorFlow, etc.
- Strong understanding of data-efficient learning techniques
- Proven expertise with application development and deployment in RESTful Web Services.
- Knowledge of Augmented Reality application development in Unity for mobile devices such as HoloLens
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a can-do attitude.
- Ability to work independently and prioritize work.
- Strong collaboration skills and ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- Flexibility and adaptability to work in a diverse and dynamic team.
- Mix of technical curiosity and feel for business relevance
- Ph.D. in Computer Science, Engineering, or related discipline.
- Proven ability to generate and develop new research ideas as demonstrated by a strong publication record and implementation of working system prototypes.
- Experience building analytics applications using Machine or Deep Learning for the deployment on edge devices.
- Experience with CAD models, and sensor generated data such as point cloud data.
- Experience in training algorithms with limited data, specifically semi-supervised/weakly supervised training techniques, experience with deep generative models
Siemens Technology employees are passionate about applied research. We create technology with purpose that benefits society - more agile and productive factories, more intelligent and efficient buildings and grids, more reliable and sustainable transportation. Our work powers Siemens products and is regularly featured in patents and publications. We operate in a global ecosystem focused on innovation, partnering with our customers, businesses, government agencies, and leading academic institutions on highly visible projects where collaboration is key.
Our people continuously develop their talents, are curious, and are not afraid to take risks in pursuit of technological innovation. A strong learning culture empowers employees at Siemens Technology to own their growth and development.
We know that diversity fuels innovation and drives business success. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment, where diversity of thought, culture, and experience is seen as our greatest strength. This is what brings our best ideas to life.
We take pride in bringing our best selves to work every day, prioritizing individual health, work-life blend, and flexibility.
At Siemens Technology, the success of our employees drives our success.
We are more than employees; we are actively helping to make people’s lives a little better every day. Would you like to be a part of that? Then join us. We offer you a high level of practical relevance as well as an opportunity to individually contribute your knowledge and your visions around the world. Whether you’re helping to develop products for the operating units or working in interdisciplinary projects for the business areas: At Technology you’ll be working in the heart of Siemens’ technological research together with the best.
Company: Siemens Corporation
Experience Level: Experienced Professional
Job Type: Full-time
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Siemens is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship status, ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability unrelated to ability, marital status, family responsibilities, pregnancy, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, transgender, sex stereotyping, order of protection status, protected veteran or military status, or an unfavorable discharge from military service, and other categories protected by federal, state or local law.
EEO is the Law
Applicants and employees are protected under Federal law from discrimination. To learn more, Click here.
Pay Transparency Non-Discrimination Provision
Siemens follows Executive Order 11246, including the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision. To learn more, Click here.
California Privacy Notice
California residents have the right to receive additional notices about their personal information. To learn more, click here.