Siemens Digital Industries Factory Automation business unit is looking for someone to join our team in the purposeful expansion of our footprint in the Consumer Electronics and Semiconductor Industry in the Americas, based in Campbell, CA, USA.
In this role you will exercise your technical expertise and intimate knowledge of controllers and programming for AI, machine learning, factory automation, motion control and robotics to create customized technical solutions for our customers. Project responsibilities will range from exploration and concept, through development and proof of concept to production viable, packaged solutions. Interaction with the customer to understand and set expectations around project deliverables and timelines is an important responsibility for this role.
Reporting to the Head of Electronics Vertical for our digital industries factory automation business unit, you will be working closely with our counterparts in Asia and Europe as well as our engineering teams in Germany and throughout the US to help maximize the knowledge of our team and enable us to provide our customers with the highest value add solutions.
Our goal in the Electronics Vertical team is to provide our customers with the knowledge, tools and solutions they need to achieve their goals in global manufacturing of electronics. Bringing new technologies like edge computing, artificial intelligence, machine learning and virtual commissioning is a significant part of this strategy.
· Engage with customer engineering teams to define project scope, technical requirements and provide conceptual proposals
· Provide customers with written proposals and engage technical negotiation until mutually agreed
· Working either individually or as part of a team (depending on project requirements), to develop technical solutions to manufacturing challenges (typically in the field of AI/ML, Edge computing, vision and robotics), frequently collaborating with the customer’s engineering team to maintain alignment of project deliverables
· Define success criteria and design proof of concepts for demonstration to customers
· Develop production viable solutions, assist with implementation, roll out to our counterparts in other regions, our partners, customers or customers’ supply chain.
· Prepare documentation and provide training on your customized solutions for delivery to the customer
· Become the product champion within the Electronics Vertical team for your related products and tools (Industrial Edge, Robot Integrator, IOT2050, NPU, AI/ML, vision sensors and robotics)
· Represent Siemens on industry dedicated events and fairs
Knowledge/skills, Education, And Experience
The Systems Engineer is an expert in their field and is required possess the following knowledge, skills, education and experience to be successful in fulfilling the expectations of this role:
· BSc in either Mechanical, Mechatronics or Electrical & Electronics Engineering, computer science or similar discipline
· 2+ Years professional experience in related field required.
· Strong technical understanding of the Siemens Digital Enterprise portfolio, including, Automation (TIA Portal), Motion Control (drives, servo motors, stepper motors), IoT, Artificial intelligence, Machine learning, Edge technology, Simulation and virtual commissioning.
· Strong working knowledge of 6 axis robots, Scara, cantilever, H-Gantry robots including skills to configure kinematics.
· Experience with programming of at least one major brand of industrial robot (Kuka, Fanuc, Denso, ABB, Yaskawa etc.)
· Familiarity with PLC robot control libraries such as mxAutomation
· Basic networking skills, able to configure IP addresses and ping devices
· Experienced with OPCUA, MQTT and TCP or UDP industrial networking protocols
· Experienced in Linux OS programming (Ubuntu, Debian or similar tools)
· Python programming to an advanced level
· Node Red experience
· Use of Docker and/or containers
· Able to work effectively with individuals from multiple cultures and backgrounds
· Strong communication and presentation skills
· Ability to travel internationally: up to 15% (when safe to do so)
Knowledge/skills, Education, And Experience
The following knowledge/skills, education and experience would be an advantage but is not a requirement to be considered for this position:
· MSc in either Mechanical, Mechatronics or Electrical & Electronics Engineering, computer science or similar discipline
· Experience of IOT2050, Raspberry Pi, Beaglebone or similar
· Vision and other sensors experience (Cognex, Keyence, LMI, MVTec, OpenCV, SICK)
· Profinet / Profibus, S7, Serial communication (RS232/422/485), Modbus TCP, CANOpen Industrial protocols
· CAD design skills (NX or Solidworks)
· Electrical troubleshooting
· Knowledge of electronics manufacturing processes
· Experience using project management tools such as MS Project would also be an advantage
Organization: Digital Industries
Company: Siemens Industry, Inc.
Experience Level: Mid-level Professional
Job Type: Full-time
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Siemens is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship status, ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability unrelated to ability, marital status, family responsibilities, pregnancy, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, transgender, sex stereotyping, order of protection status, protected veteran or military status, or an unfavorable discharge from military service, and other categories protected by federal, state or local law.
EEO is the Law
Applicants and employees are protected under Federal law from discrimination. To learn more, Click here.
Pay Transparency Non-Discrimination Provision
Siemens follows Executive Order 11246, including the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision. To learn more, Click here.
California Privacy Notice
California residents have the right to receive additional notices about their personal information. To learn more, click here.