Environment, Health and Safety (EHS) Specialist
Siemens Industry Inc. is seeking an EHS Specialist to execute EHS activities for multiple Business Units in the Wendell, NC area.
- Provide EHS services for Siemens Industry, Inc. (SII). for projects involving substation new construction and maintenance/commissioning of existing equipment such as Swgr (air insulated metal-enclosed and metal-clad as well as gas insulated Swgr (GIS)), circuit breakers, motor controls, and controls and protective relay systems.
- Support business units headquartered in a manufacturing location in Wendell, NC and field projects located throughout the US.
- Prevent work-related injuries and illnesses, protect the environment, assure compliance with EHS laws and regulations, manage EHS risks, prepare site and project sites for dealing with emergencies, promote wellness programs, and promote Siemens’ Zero Harm Culture.
- The position reports to the Director of Siemens SI DS EHS Management and Standards located in Wendell, NC with dotted line responsibility to the SI US Products EHS Director.
- Plan, design, and implement safety policies and procedures and ensure compliance with appropriate laws, corporate directives and ISO14001 and ISO45001 certification for a facility and a field service organization.
- Collaborate with management and employees to investigate injuries, near misses and other events to determine root causes and implement effective corrective actions.
- Develop, coordinate, and maintain training plans for new hire orientations as well as ongoing regulatory training to ensure all EHS training requirements are current
- Develop and coordinate annual weeklong safety symposium for field service employees to ensure all yearly safety training requirements are met
- Promote Zero Harm Culture utilizing tools such as Walk and Talks, Near Miss reporting, employee safety committees, and safe practice rewards.
- Maintain, update, and add customer qualification information to third party safety sites required to perform our services at customer facilities
- Support cross functional teams and EHS committees to improve overall site EHS performance & compliance.
- Advocate for a Zero Harm safety culture that protects the safety of Siemens’ employees, subcontractors, and customers.
- Work with business location to develop specific job safety analyses (JSA) for higher-risk work.
- Regularly conduct safety training for Siemens employees and maintain employee safety training database
- Evaluate safety programs of subcontractors to meet or exceed Siemens standards
- Maintain and enhance safe work standards and practices
- Analyze and maintain EHS regulatory compliance activities in assigned organizations and prepares regular EHS reporting.
- Manage worker’s compensation claims and return-to-work program
- Contributes to internal and external EHS audits, in support of accountable EHS officer.
- Provide technical guidance to employees regarding environmental, health and safety related issues or concerns, and regulatory compliance
- Prepares regular external EHS reporting for official authorities, or for internal stakeholder.
- When necessary, coordinating business response and or comments to regulatory changes.
- Maintains operational contact to external authorities.
- Improve employee and management EHS awareness.
- Participating in audit activities including identification of EHS issues and implementation of corrective actions.
- Conducting and managing EHS incident investigations, including tracking and record-keeping requirements, insure thorough investigation of serious incidents.
- Interacting with Siemens legal on any EHS activities with regulatory agencies, employees, and outside legal counsel on behalf of business when required.
- Demonstrating operational knowledge of facilities and field work.
- Collaborate with Director SI DS EHS who will provide direct support.
- Assisting Regional Country United States EHS Corporate EHS Specialists as required.
- Conducts random Wendell, NC EHS verification and compliance audits and manages findings
- Audits and inspects of work environments and provide report of findings in coordination and guidance of the SI DS EHS Director for follow-up.
- Trains employees and management.
- Keeps abreast with all respective regulations and standards in regional or local law.
Required Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
- BS/BA in related discipline, or advanced degree, where required, or equivalent combination of education and experience
- 8+ years experience in a technical EHS role focusing on Safety AND Environmental Compliance
- Experience with ISO14001 and ISO18001 highly preferred
- Experience with high-risk operations
- Working knowledge of EPA and OSHA regulations and industry EHS standards
- Demonstrated ability to recognize, evaluate, and recommend controls for workplace hazards
- Demonstrated experience working on cross-functional teams and leading EHS targets and objectives
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and analytical skills
- Effective critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Strong writing capabilities, especially with writing clear, concise EHS procedures
- Proficient in MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Access)
- Ability to manage multiple projects/tasks for different business units and work independently with minimal supervision.
- Must be able to interface with all levels of the organization
- Travel - minor amount of travel as required
Preferred Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
- Certified Safety Specialist (CSP) certification, Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH), Certified Hazardous Material Manager(CHMM) certification , or equivalent
- Experience working with ISO 14001, ISO 45001, and OHSAS 18001 Management System Standards
- Ability to influence, negotiate, and persuade employees at all levels
This position may be hired at one level down should the selected candidate's experience warrant
At Siemens, we are committed to an ownership culture, in which every employee takes personal responsibility for our company’s success. We utilize lean principles and seek to continually improve our processes and customers’ experience.
Can you see yourself, learning, growing, and succeeding here? If so, we'd like to meet you!
We offer flexible vacation time, a matching 401K plan, profit sharing, full health, life, vision, and dental benefits.
Organization: Smart Infrastructure
Company: Siemens Industry, Inc.
Experience Level: Mid-level Professional
Job Type: Full-time
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Siemens is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship status, ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability unrelated to ability, marital status, family responsibilities, pregnancy, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, transgender, sex stereotyping, order of protection status, protected veteran or military status, or an unfavorable discharge from military service, and other categories protected by federal, state or local law.
EEO is the Law
Applicants and employees are protected under Federal law from discrimination. To learn more, Click here.
Pay Transparency Non-Discrimination Provision
Siemens follows Executive Order 11246, including the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision. To learn more, Click here.
California Privacy Notice
California residents have the right to receive additional notices about their personal information. To learn more, click here.