Siemens Mobility have an exciting opportunity or a Senior Product and Certification Engineer to join our Product Engineering team within the Rail Infrastructure, Mobile Communications business in Poole.
Our Team and what we do:
As market leaders across rail, road and logistics, Siemens Mobility Limited are pursuing the goal of networking various transportation systems with one another to move people and goods efficiently - complete mobility!
The Mobile Communications business in Poole supplies on-board GSM-R equipment and other engineering solutions to rail industry operators and suppliers worldwide. This includes the GSM-R cab radio with GPS and LTE connectivity and the GSM-R data radio. We have earned a respected reputation in the industry which has developed as a result of our success in delivering to our customers across the globe. We have radio equipment on almost every train in Great Britain and in many countries across Europe, Africa, the Middle East and Australia. In addition, we are leading the way within the railway industry in developing the next generation of rail communications (Future Railway Mobile Communication System), based on 4G and 5G technology, so this is a great time to join the business in the development of a new, exciting technology.
Your role, and what you’ll be doing:
This is a dynamic, varied role where you will take technical responsibility for our GSM-R and FRMCS products within the highly regulated rail industry. You will also be involved in projects from the early stages of bids and tenders, through validation, testing and approvals, to on-going customer support.
With the application of your technical knowledge, and an understanding of our products and processes gained through experience, you will be highly active in ensuring the product success, from requirements specifications, creating and maintaining all the required product documentation while supporting the product certification and the Sales department with statements of compliance against customer requirements.
You are crucial to the success of the business and delivery of products and projects. As the gatekeeper of industry standards for the business, you will need to keep up to date on the ever evolving and emerging standards and then proactively ensure our products remain compliant whilst providing expert advice to the projects and development teams.
What will be my Responsibilities?
- Technical lead for management of products, including creating and maintaining product customer focused documentation, maintain modification records, obsolescence management and answering technical queries. This will include working within the on-site test laboratory.
- Assist the Bid group with creatively developing new solutions to customer tenders, completion of technical responses and the compilation of detailed statements of compliance for customers.
- Keep up to date on changes to applicable industry standards and advise the business when changes will affect our products. Also update appropriate records to reflect changes to allow us to continue to sell equipment legally.
- Participate in British and European work groups to update standards or help develop the emerging FRMCS standards, protecting Siemens' position where applicable.
- Understand and support product compliance to European and UK specifications and directives, occasionally taking the lead. Includes frequent communication across the business and with Notified Bodies, and preparation of supporting documentation.
- Provides proficient guidance to the other departments on emerging standards to assess the impact of standards changes and problem solving to ensure we can maintain compliance. This includes identification of work required (e.g. new development, additional testing etc) to maintain compliance to industry standards.
- Support Product Road Maps identifying key features of products in the future, with input from across the business. Includes creating product specifications.
- Assist the Bid group with the preparation of RAM/LCC (Reliability, Availability, Maintainability, Life Cycle Costs.
What Skills, Qualifications and Experience do I need for this role?
- Electrical/Electronic/Software Engineering degree or similar, ideally achieved or working towards Chartership
- Previous experience and knowledge of the product engineering lifecycle and product approvals/certifications
- Proven experience of product engineering within an industry with stringent regulations
- Experience in communications (GSM, 3G/4G/5G), IoT, hardware or software engineering would be useful, but not essential
- Excellent problem solving, verbal and written communication skills with an ability to write clear, concise and comprehensive technical documentation
- IT skills; You will require, as a minimum, a working knowledge of Microsoft Office elements including Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint.
To succeed in the role, you will need to be adaptable, able to apply your core knowledge base from your degree or equivalent, as well as gaining a highly detailed understanding of our products and a workable understanding of software engineering, electrical and electronic engineering and communications.
This role demands communication and interpersonal skills, as you will collaborate with teams across the business to understand and deliver solutions to the customer, including Software and Hardware Development teams, Sales, Accounting and Production. You will initially often work in tandem with the Principal Product Engineer who will provide guidance.
The role is primarily based in the Poole office (with some home working possible); however, some travel is expected including international travel to participate in external meetings, testing or other on-site work including on-board trains.
- 26 days holiday, increasing up to 29 days with length of service
- Excellent pension, with Siemens matching contributions up to 10% of pensionable salary
- Performance related bonus scheme
- Flexible benefits to suit your personal needs
- Flexible working policy
- Investment in personal development and support to membership of professional institutions
We’re Siemens. A collection of over 377,000 great minds who are all making the future and you could be one of them. We have offices across the UK, full of talented individuals helping us to challenge the today and work towards a brighter tomorrow.
Want to join us and be a Future Maker?
We’re excited to hear that you would like to join us here at Siemens. Our people love it here and we want you to be a part of helping us make real, what matters.
We are looking forward to receiving your online application. Please ensure you complete all areas, of the application form, to the best of your ability to help us review your suitability for the role. We will be in contact as soon as possible with an update on your application.
What else do you need to know?
Our compensation package includes a competitive salary, holiday allowance, pension and other additional benefits. We celebrate the fact that our employees are individuals and have different wants and needs. With this in mind, we have a flexible benefits scheme where you can tailor your benefits package to suit you.
If we all thought the same, we would never think of anything new. That’s why we recruit great minds from all walks of life. We recognise that building a diverse workforce is essential to the success of our business, therefore we encourage applications from a diverse talent pool. We are proud to announce that we have partnered with VERCIDA, the UK's largest diversity and inclusion focused careers site where all our vacancies are in an accessible format. We welcome the opportunity to discuss flexibility requirements with our applicants to encourage agile working and innovation.#LI-SM1
Organization: Siemens Mobility
Company: Siemens Mobility Limited
Experience Level: not defined
Job Type: Full-time