Who We Are | Our Culture:
Siemens Smart Infrastructure connects energy systems and buildings to adapt and evolve the way we live and work through high-profile construction and infrastructure projects such as airports, pharmaceutical plants, data centers, stadiums, universities, military bases, and hospitals.
We live and foster an ownership culture, in which every employee takes personal responsibility for our company's success. We trust and empower our leaders to act as owners, direct their teams, and innovate to succeed. We communicate openly and honestly to learn from our failures and celebrate our successes. We recognize individual and team achievements frequently. We invest in our team members, offering a wide variety of internal and external development opportunities.
What you will do for Siemens Smart Infrastructure:
The Siemens Smart Infrastructure Division is seeking an experienced Energy Engineer to play a key role in the growth of the Enterprise Energy Services organization. The primary goal of the position is to work directly with clients, to implement the scopes of work for assigned consulting projects, and to and be part of engineering teams to identify, analyze and quantify energy conservation and carbon reduction projects across a range of industries and building types. The position reports to the Director, Energy Efficiency and Sustainability Consulting. A unique aspect of this position is that approximately 25% to 35% of this role’s time is committed to providing highly valued on-site engineering services to a single customer located in South San Francisco.
The successful candidate will be required to perform a wide range of duties, including assisting sales to identify and qualify potential energy conservation projects. The Energy Engineer will have experience with building automation systems focused on optimization strategies, the ability to analyze data to provide reports and support opportunity development and manage relationships with current as well as potential future customers.
In addition to energy engineering capabilities, this role requires strong organizational, project management and interpersonal skills. Experience with retro-commissioning activities is preferred. The successful candidate will have an interest and understanding in sustainability, with a particular focus on carbon reduction strategies and opportunity identification.
To support the dedicated on-site engineering activities:
- Act as the lead engineer during the assessment and investigation phases of retro-commissioning projects at multiple facilities at the client’s campus, working as a critical team member of the Siemens technical team
- Gather necessary site information (e.g., drawings and mechanical schedules), conduct interviews with site staff, and ensure overall project completion aligned with client expectations
- Organize the commissioning team and document operational requirements in a Current Facility Requirements (CFR) document; develop an Existing Building Commissioning plan
- Complete site investigation and testing, designed to compare the actual building and system performance with current operational needs identified in the CFR. Develop a Commissioning Corrective Action Matrix (CCAM) which identifies measures and recommendations to improve building system performance and/or reduce energy and maintenance costs, as well as carbon emissions. Quantify energy and operational savings as required.
To support Enterprise energy services activities:
- Works collaboratively across Siemens technical teams, both within Enterprise and the field-based organization, on energy and sustainability projects
- Conducts preliminary and detailed energy efficiency and decarbonization assessments for clients across a range of industry sectors. Identifies a range of facility improvement and conservation measures, and provides solution descriptions, scopes of work, cost and savings calculations, and impact on facility emissions and operations.
- Analyzes utility data, systems documentation and other information, and coordinates with outside vendors and works cross-functionally with audit teams as required.
- Utilize financial spreadsheets to prepare project measure-by-measure cost and savings financial models, including an understanding of ROI, life cycle costing and internal rate of return. Investigates available utility and other rebates and incentives.
- Delivers ongoing energy analytics services to existing clients, consisting of consumption, spend and carbon emissions trends. Develops reports highlighting findings, makes recommendations for improvements, and presents to clients on a regular basis.
- Supports or leads a variety of energy and sustainability consulting engagements, including, but not limited to; renewable energy feasibility analysis, strategic energy and decarbonization planning, virtual energy assessments and other projects as become available
- Actively participates in and leads client meetings and presentations
Applicants must be legally authorized for employment in the United States without need for current or future employer-sponsored work authorization.
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering or another related field
Industry and Technical Experience Required:
- 3 to 5 years of engineering experience; consulting experience preferred
- Expertise with retro-commissioning projects
- Expertise in a range of building types. Preference for experience with industrial facilities
- Familiarity with data logging equipment and trending capability of Siemens automation products and ability to use other building automation systems trending functions. Proficiency with building modeling programs.
- Experience with standard ASHRAE energy calculations
- Basic knowledge of HVAC systems, building control systems, lighting, building envelope, and domestic water systems, and developing and conducting functional text procedures and retro-commissioning. Knowledge of common HVAC and electrical building codes.
- Experience with utility rebates and incentives
- Developed presentation and communication skills to effectively communicate with clients verbally and in writing at all professional levels within an organization are needed
- Ability to lead engineering efforts and work effectively within cross-functional teams
- Position reports to Director, Energy Efficiency and Sustainability (Enterprise Energy Services organization)
- Works internally with Energy Engineers, Project Managers, Sales Account Executives, Service Operations Team, etc.
- Works externally with customer representatives, utility company contacts, 3rd party consultants and sub-contractors
- Certified Energy Manager (CEM) and EIT (FE) preferred
- LEED credentials preferred
- The position is required to be based in the San Francisco Bay area
- Up to 25% travel within the US is expected. Travel is not limited geographically and can be for the purposes of conducting energy assessments and meeting with clients.
Preferred Education, Experience and Knowledge
- Past experience as part of a team of engineers is desirable
- Education level: Bachelor’s Degree in engineering field
- Ability to manage multiple projects, and support sales teams and project development efforts
- Experience identifying energy savings opportunities in industrial facilities
- Competitive salary based on qualifications
- Health, dental, and vision plans
- Matching 401(k) up to 6%
- Flexible vacation plan
- Paid parental leave
Organization: Smart Infrastructure
Company: Siemens Industry, Inc.
Experience Level: Mid-level Professional
Job Type: Full-time
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Siemens is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship status, ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability unrelated to ability, marital status, family responsibilities, pregnancy, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, transgender, sex stereotyping, order of protection status, protected veteran or military status, or an unfavorable discharge from military service, and other categories protected by federal, state or local law.
EEO is the Law
Applicants and employees are protected under Federal law from discrimination. To learn more, Click here.
Pay Transparency Non-Discrimination Provision
Siemens follows Executive Order 11246, including the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision. To learn more, Click here.
California Privacy Notice
California residents have the right to receive additional notices about their personal information. To learn more, click here.