This role is for a Senior Systems Engineer, capable of technically leading and assisting the System Engineering tasks on various Interlocking projects in R&D. The Senior System Engineer will be responsible for Customer Requirements Management, the definition of System and Sub-system Design, and subsequent production of detailed Product Requirements for Development Teams to implement.
The Senior Systems Engineer will be required to interact with key stakeholders, including Project Managers, Product Owners, Technical Authorities and Software Architects and Engineers. The jobholder will act as the Point of Contact for supporting the deployment of the Siemens WESTLOCK system and hence must be capable of building and maintaining strong communication links with Global R&D, the Delivery Teams and the client (where necessary).
Success in the role will be measured primarily by the on-time within budget delivery of allocated tasks as agreed with the relevant Programme/Project Manager and/or Systems Engineering Manager.
This role will help play a major part in delivering the signalling and control systems necessary as the business demands. The role will focus on the front or early part of the life-cycle activities of the System Engineering process for most projects.
What are my responsibilities?
Senior Systems Engineers will be expected to provide technical leadership for their allocated tasks, particularly in the earlier lifecycle activities of the allocated project. The role includes responsibilities for the following system engineering activities as assigned by the Systems Engineering Team Lead.
- Provide technical leadership for their allocated tasks, particularly in the earlier lifecycle activities of the allocated project
- Customer Requirements Elicitation, Capture and Analysis
- System Requirements Elicitation and Specification
- System Design Analysis and Specification
- Product Requirements Specification
- Interface Definition and Control
- Product Design Analysis and Specification
The job will involve contributing to some of the following tasks
- Analysing and advising on competing technical solutions
- Working within a Configuration Control system (including raising and applying Change Requests etc.)
- Providing estimations for system engineering activities
- Progress reporting
The candidate will also be expected to maintain an appreciation of new technologies and their application to support ongoing deliveries.
What do I need to qualify for this job?
- Educated to degree level (or equivalent) in an engineering, scientific or numerate discipline (essential)
- Experience in providing technical leadership in demanding safety critical or safety related environments (essential)
- Knowledge of the systems engineering life-cycle, cost awareness and awareness of processes involved in other engineering disciplines (essential)
- Experience in writing requirements for railway Interlocking products/systems (essential)
- Experience of requirement management tools, such as DOORS and Polarion (essential)
- Contributing to continuous process improvement (essential)
- Experience of working to industry quality and safety standards (essential)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills (essential)
- Experience in recreating and resolving issues using e.g. test rigs (essential)
- Motivated, dependable and self-reliant (essential)
- Demonstrable experience of solving complex problems (essential)
- Understanding and proven experience of CENELEC standards (essential)
- Knowledge and experience of Siemens WESTLOCK Interlockings
- Experience of railway diagnostic systems
- Experience of railway control centre systems
- Experience in mentoring engineers working in a safety critical or safety related development environment
- Experience of Object Oriented modelling notations and techniques, such as UML, SySML and MBSE
- Experience with patent submission or the process of patent submission
- Experience of the whole software development life-cycle including Agile and SCRUM working practices
We’re Siemens. A collection of over 377,000 great minds who are all making the future and you could be one of them! We have offices across the UK, full of talented individual’s helping us to challenge the today and work towards a brighter tomorrow.
Want to join us?
We’re excited to hear that you would like to join us here at Siemens. Our people love it here and we want you to be a part of helping us make real, what matters.
We are looking forward to receiving your online application. Please ensure you complete all areas of the application form to the best of your ability to help us review your suitability for the role. We will be in contact as soon as possible with an update on your application.
What else do you need to know?
Our compensation package includes a competitive salary, holiday allowance and pension. We celebrate the fact that our employees are individuals and have different wants and needs. With this in mind, we have a flexible benefits scheme where you can tailor your benefits package to suit you.
If we all thought the same, we would never think of anything new! That’s why we recruit great minds from all walks of life. We recognise that building a diverse workforce is essential to the success of our business, therefore we encourage applications from a diverse talent pool. We are proud to announce that we have partnered with VERCIDA
, the UK's largest diversity and inclusion focused careers site where all our vacancies are in an accessible format. We welcome the opportunity to discuss flexibility requirements with our applicants to encourage agile working and innovation.
Organization: Siemens Mobility
Company: SIEMENS MOBILITY LIMITED
Experience Level: not defined
Job Type: Full-time