Lead System Engineers are required for the front-end lifecycle System Engineering effort in the Project Delivery System Engineering Team. Lead System Engineers are required to help define the System Design and detailed Product Requirements for subsequent implementation by the Software and Hardware Development Teams in R&D.
The jobholder will work within a team structure delivering detailed system engineering solutions with short to medium goals, but with the expectation that they are to cope with interfaces and issues arising from outside their normal work flow.
The jobholder will provide the engineering rigour required to deliver the complex System Engineering artefacts as required by various Delivery Projects in what are demanding timescales. The role will balance strong technical requirement and design and skills with the ability to deliver within demanding timescales.
The jobholder will be expected to work within and to communicate effectively with members of the global Centres of Excellence in R&D, the appropriate Project Delivery Team, and possibly the external client.
What are my responsibilities?
- Requirements capture
- Requirements analysis, including Railway Concept of Operation-type studies
- Requirements management
- Systems design and architectural studies
- Systems analysis
- Sub-system specification and interface control and management
- Sub-system design and analysis (hardware/software allocation)
- Participation in configuration management and control
- Integration of component subsystems into a single system
- Configuration and continuous improvement of test rigs in support of system integration.
- Authoring and execution of System Integration & Validation Test Specifications and Test Scripts
Other duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Review and inspection of design submissions from external suppliers
- Investigation and resolution of system or product level technical issues in hardware development, software development and system integration, cooperatively with safety engineering, verification and validation functions
- Provide support to the production of system application manuals.
- Providing support to production of system safety case
- Provide general guidance and support to other staff
Note that the engineering techniques involved with the development are cutting-edge with extensive use of the UML and SysML, with support from tool-sets such as DOORS® and Artisan Studio®.
What do I need to qualify for this role?
- Educated to degree level (or equivalent) in an engineering, scientific or numerate discipline (essential)
- Experience in high integrity systems engineering, preferably in real-time and/or embedded environments (essential)
- Knowledge of having applied systems engineering practices in one or more mission critical, software intensive application domains (essential)
- Thorough understanding of systems engineering and configuration management processes and related tools (essential)
- Experience of working to industry quality and applicable standards (essential)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills (essential)
- Motivated, dependable and self-reliant (essential)
- Excellent numerate skills (essential)
- Experience in the use of SysML or the UML and knowledge of Architectural Frameworks
- Experience in the use of requirements toolsets such as DOORS®
- Experience of applying relevant System Engineering and Safety-related CENELEC standards
- Experience in the development of Signalling Systems, Automatic Train Protection products, or other large programmable electronic systems
- Familiarity with hardware and software lifecycles, associated tools, techniques and methodologies
- Experience in scripted software and automation environments
We’re Siemens. A collection of over 377,000 great minds who are all making the future and you could be one of them! We have offices across the UK, full of talented individual’s helping us to challenge the today and work towards a brighter tomorrow.
Want to join us?
We’re excited to hear that you would like to join us here at Siemens. Our people love it here and we want you to be a part of helping us make real, what matters.
We are looking forward to receiving your online application. Please ensure you complete all areas of the application form to the best of your ability to help us review your suitability for the role. We will be in contact as soon as possible with an update on your application.
What else do you need to know?
Our compensation package includes a competitive salary, holiday allowance and pension. We celebrate the fact that our employees are individuals and have different wants and needs. With this in mind, we have a flexible benefits scheme where you can tailor your benefits package to suit you.
If we all thought the same, we would never think of anything new! That’s why we recruit great minds from all walks of life. We recognise that building a diverse workforce is essential to the success of our business, therefore we encourage applications from a diverse talent pool. We are proud to announce that we have partnered with VERCIDA
, the UK's largest diversity and inclusion focused careers site where all our vacancies are in an accessible format. We welcome the opportunity to discuss flexibility requirements with our applicants to encourage agile working and innovation.