We are seeking a dynamic Research Scientist to join our Autonomous Systems and Control research group! The right person has a background in control and optimization for power systems, is motivated to work in an applied research environment, and driven to make a difference.
Siemens Technology has a unique opportunity to participate in projects in all areas of power system automation, power generation, renewables integration etc., making for an exciting and challenging environment! Have a look at our projects driving sustainability and resiliency for Galapagos Island, Hawaii, the Rocky Mountains, and our R&D campus in Princeton, NJ to get an overview of Siemens’ recent developments in this area.The Challenge:
This person will:
- Develop innovative control and optimization concepts and solutions for sustainable and resilient power systems with high integration of inverter-based resources.
- Implement these concepts and solutions in quick prototypes, feasibility studies, technical specifications, and eventually into larger systems and product components.
- Test and validate these solutions in laboratory and field tests.
- Identify, define, acquire and lead, industrial R&D projects.
- Work with our business units to understand customer requirements and deliver solutions.
- Protect the results of your work through patent applications and publish results at conferences or in top journals.
Qualified candidates will have:
- Ph.D. in Engineering or related fields with strong focus on automatic control and optimization for inverter-dominated power systems required; post-PhD experience in the same field, e.g., in an industrial research center or a national lab is a plus.
- Good knowledge of modelling and control of power systems with high integration of inverter-based resources like detailed dynamic modelling and simulation (RMS/EMT) is required, proven through at least 3 years research in this field.
- Good knowledge of power electronic converters and power generation devices like wind turbines or photovoltaic plants is a plus.
- Proven ability to develop new research ideas as demonstrated by a strong publication record and early developments to the level of a working system prototypes as well as involvement in writing funding proposals for research grants.
- Knowledge of tools and programming languages typically used to support design and validation of optimization and controller design, e.g., MATLAB/Simulink, power system simulation tools is required.
- Established network with US research institutions and academia is a plus.
- Real world problem solving and a hands-on, can-do mentality.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication (verbal & written) skills in English required.
- Flexibility and resourcefulness to work in a growing, dynamic, interdisciplinary team of specialists.
- This position supports a Siemens customer who requires all employees and vendors to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 where permitted by applicable law and in accordance with an accommodation based on legally protected reasons
Siemens Technology employees are passionate about applied research. We create technology with purpose that benefits society - more agile and productive factories, more intelligent and efficient buildings and grids, more reliable and sustainable transportation. Our work powers Siemens products and is regularly featured in patents and publications. We operate in a global ecosystem focused on innovation, partnering with our businesses, government agencies, and leading academic institutions on highly visible projects where collaboration is key.
Our people continuously develop their talents, are curious, and are not afraid to take risks in pursuit of technological innovation. A strong learning culture empowers employees at Siemens Technology to own their growth and development.
We know that diversity fuels innovation and drives business success. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment, where diversity of thought, culture, and experience is seen as our greatest strength. This is what brings our best ideas to life.
We take pride in bringing our best selves to work every day, prioritizing individual health, work-life blend, and flexibility.
At Siemens Technology, the success of our employees drives our success.
We are more than employees; we are actively helping to make people’s lives a little better every day. Would you like to be a part of that? Then join us. We offer you a high level of practical relevance as well as an opportunity to individually contribute your knowledge and your visions around the world. Whether you’re helping to develop products for the operating units or working in interdisciplinary projects for the business areas: At Technology you’ll be working in the heart of Siemens’ technological research together with the best.
Company: Siemens Corporation
Experience Level: Experienced Professional
Job Type: Full-time
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Siemens is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship status, ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability unrelated to ability, marital status, family responsibilities, pregnancy, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, transgender, sex stereotyping, order of protection status, protected veteran or military status, or an unfavorable discharge from military service, and other categories protected by federal, state or local law.
EEO is the Law
Applicants and employees are protected under Federal law from discrimination. To learn more, Click here.
Pay Transparency Non-Discrimination Provision
Siemens follows Executive Order 11246, including the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision. To learn more, Click here.
California Privacy Notice
California residents have the right to receive additional notices about their personal information. To learn more, click here.